• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

comedy/fantasy beta reader wanted 95k+ words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertbevan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
warning... language (not so much on here, but in the story itself)

just another dreary friday night at the chicken hut. tim and his barely tolerable group of friends are getting ready to settle in for a night of tabletop roleplaying and beer. only tonight, since none of them want the responsibility of running the game, they've invited a guest.

if tim finds his friends barely tolerable, mordred finds them completely intolerable... so much so that he magically sends them into the fantasy world that he's created as the characters that they've created.

one second they're playing a harmless fantasy game, and the next... shit gets real.

if you're on the fence as to whether or not this is your cup o' tea, you can read a bit on the following thread in the syw forums:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225617

the latest revision of chapter 1 is on post #82 of that thread, and the beginning of chapter 2 (when shit gets real) is on post #90.

i'm happy to swap. fantasy (except for the kind in which everyone's name is a jumble of "Q's" and "Z's" and seventeen apostrophes) is what i'd prefer to read, but i'm open to other genres.

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
well, it's been a while, and i've had one beta reader decide it wasn't his thing, and two other beta readers go through all of it and clean it up quite a bit.

i've just finished a major revision, which included fixing my pov problems (which was a bitch).

i'd like at least one more beta to run through it and tell me if they think it's ready, or if they see a bunch of shit that just isn't working.

if you're into roleplaying games and judd apatow movies, i think you'll find something in here to enjoy.

and of course, i'd be willing to look at your work as well, if you like. i haven't been on syw in a while, but if you click on my name and dig up some of my older posts, you'll see that i put some effort into my critiques.

thank you.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Don't really have the time for doing betaing right now, but your novel sounds somewhat similar to Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series, where D&D players are whisked elsewhere and become their characters. Is this something like that?

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
Don't really have the time for doing betaing right now, but your novel sounds somewhat similar to Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series, where D&D players are whisked elsewhere and become their characters. Is this something like that?

yeah, the premise is something like that. i haven't read the books, but other people who i've explained my premise to have mentioned the series. i read the wiki description of the books, and from what i can tell, they are a lot darker than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.