Tyra Banks publishes novel

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
If she truly provides a positive self-esteem message for girls who look up to her, I think it is a nice idea.

Reaction score
"[I want readers] to look in the mirror and know that you might not look like some celebrity on a red carpet, but that there's a unique you, and there are so many things that are special about you," Tyra said.
Yeah. That's why she's written a book set in a world where your looks are all that matter about you. :rolleyes:

More to the point, did she write it, or was it ghosted?

Nugus

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to her. I hope the book makes her feel fulfilled, and that people read it because they are interested in what she has to say.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't this book come out awhile ago? I know there is a thread for it already in AW Bookclub. Personally, I don't see the appeal of reading a novel by an ex-model targeted at teens about modeling. Yet it isn't about looks.

Last edited:

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
I bet it's not as good as A Shore Thing by Snookie!

But seriously, like Nugus said if Tyra wrote it and it did something for her (the way writing does something for all of us) then that's good! I just wish it was as easy to publish for the rest of us.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm feeling curiously emboldened to write about my own life experiences. I'll have to figure out a YA angle, though, as my main theme is how none of us are all that special and I don't anticipate that appealing to teens, just Andy Rooney.

Reaction score
I bet it's not as good as A Shore Thing by Snookie!

But seriously, like Nugus said if Tyra wrote it and it did something for her (the way writing does something for all of us) then that's good! I just wish it was as easy to publish for the rest of us.
Taking five years to write one damn book doesn't sound that easy to me.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't this book come out awhile ago? I know there is a thread for it already in AW Bookclub. Personally, I don't see the appeal of reading a novel by an ex-model targeted at teens about modeling. Yet it isn't about looks.

That was my thought.

I actually don't mind Tyra Banks. I think she actually is a positive role model, showing that you don't have to be stick thin to be pretty darn hot and successful.

But this book...shouldn't be about modeling unless maybe it's a healthy plus-sized woman.

Or...if the book shows the emotional and mental growth of a young model who starts out thinking it's all about looks and learns otherwise.

Reaction score
She's not the first model to 'write' a book and she won't be the last, and it also seems to me that she's not the first model to try to kid herself that her book is more than what it is. She's in denial about it perpetuating the belief that looks are important. If she doesn't want to spread that message, why write about modelling?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just took a peek inside at Amazon.com and here's what I found:

Cliches. Plenty of eye-rolling and sighing. People chortling and groaning words. Tons of eye-activity overall. SMIZE[SUP]TM[/SUP] everywhere you look.

If this character with her flattering "flaw" (mismatched eye colors), wild and crazy hair, overly precious name (Tookie De La Crèmes!) and notion that she's homely even though everyone else thinks she's lovely isn't a Mary Sue, I'm not sure I know what a Mary Sue is.

But Tyra Banks is famous and people will read her book because she's famous and agents and publishers know that. Business as usual. Nothing to see here.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Cliches. Plenty of eye-rolling and sighing. People chortling and groaning words. Tons of eye-activity overall. SMIZE[SUP]TM[/SUP] everywhere you look.

If this character with her flattering "flaw" (mismatched eye colors), wild and crazy hair, overly precious name (Tookie De La Crèmes!) and notion that she's homely even though everyone else thinks she's lovely isn't a Mary Sue, I'm not sure I know what a Mary Sue is.

Hahaha...yuck. Sounds awful. I'm glad I didn't even look it up on Amazon!

Reaction score
Oh bummer. It's not out in the UK 'til the 15th. I haz a bad case of teh sadz.

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Taking five years to write one damn book doesn't sound that easy to me.

Yeah, it took me about as long for the first one too...and the way the 2nd one's going, I might as well wait for my reincarnation to do it. I hope you're right about it boosting enough money for publishing companies. I wonder if it will do better on ebook though.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
It actually sounds like it could be a bit like some of the Scholastic books I used to order as a kid (did anyone else do this?) IIRC Dorothy Hamill and Linda Fratianne had books about growing up as intrepid young figure skaters. Some swimmer whose name I can't recall. Lots of girl and her horse stories. This sounds a bit like those stories, except with more appetite suppressants and body glitter.

Satori1977

Registered
Reaction score
Well if people want to read about the life of a model, my friend should write a book. She modeled from age 14 to 18. Left school, travelled to Paris, Italy, all over. Went to wild parties, got hooked on drugs, kicked out of photo shoots for gaining 5 pounds, became anorexic, slept around, got clean, then finally said screw it and left. Went to college, got married, had a kid, and runs her own business. Now I would read her book.

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well if people want to read about the life of a model, my friend should write a book. She modeled from age 14 to 18. Left school, travelled to Paris, Italy, all over. Went to wild parties, got hooked on drugs, kicked out of photo shoots for gaining 5 pounds, became anorexic, slept around, got clean, then finally said screw it and left. Went to college, got married, had a kid, and runs her own business. Now I would read her book.

That does sound good! Maybe you could write a memoir or "fiction" version with her or at least her permission of course. It could go anywhere from teen-chick lit to literary. I'd read it too!

Satori1977

Registered
Reaction score
I will let her know you think so. I have little interest in modeling or fashion, but was fascinated when she first started telling me these stories.

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... Not really getting all the negativity about Tyra Banks here, especially from most of those who haven't even picked up the book. Personally, I've found her to be rather well-spoken, straightforward, and as genuine as you can be in a industry that doesn't actively promote genuineness. It's an interesting brand of sexism when women who eschew looks-based industries like high fashion start piling up the shit on another woman just because she's a model.

It wouldn't hurt to take a long look at why you're hating on another woman whom you haven't really given a fair chance. And it especially wouldn't hurt to think about how this all ties into the global perpetuation of misogyny. Just sayin'.