About Grayscale covers on Kindle

DanBrennan

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I'm going to be putting my first self-pubbed novel up for Kindle and all other devices soon, and I'm obsessing about the cover naturally. More specifically, how it'll show up in grayscale on Kindle devices. I only use a Kindle app, so covers of everything I buy still show up in color, and of course a lot of people just not the new color Kindle Fire, but I'm trying to find out if there's any way to preview how it'll appear on older black and white Kindles. I mean, obviously I can grayscale it myself in photoshop to get an idea, but I meant more along the lines of a way to preview it as it'll show according to Kindle's specifications.

As you can see, my cover relies heavily on shading and lighting, so that has the potential to play really badly in black and white. (Note, this isn't the finished cover anyways, I'm still fiddling with resolution, not sold on the title placement, font and coloring, etc).

My other question then, if I don't like how it plays in black and white: is there a way to have two covers, a color one for Kindle apps and color devices and a grayscale one for older Kindles? And if so, how would I go about differentiating to make sure people with color devices got the color and not the black and white?

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

http://danbrennanwrites.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/burningdaylight2.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Right now, there isn't a way to include two images for covers in a single Kindle book.

Also--would you please re-size that image to about half the current size? We have a lot of dialup members, and a lot of members who have bandwidth charges that are high.

And I honestly would have to go check to see if the B and W kindles are 4/8/16 shades of gray--I think the early model was 4.

Your artist should be able to downstep and tweak the color version to a good looking grayscale cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanBrennan

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry! I have no idea why it showed up so large in thread, and tried to edit it to just include the link, but my browser's on the fritz and posted a new thread! Eeps! Can a mod delete one of the threads? Sorry about that!

And thanks so much for the answer!

Right now, there isn't a way to include two images for covers in a single Kindle book.

Also--would you please re-size that image to about half the current size? We have a lot of dialup members, and a lot of members who have bandwidth charges that are high.

And I honestly would have to go check to see if the B and W kindles are 4/8/16 shades of gray--I think the early model was 4.

Your artist should be able to downstep and tweak the color version to a good looking grayscale cover.

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Convert to grayscale and scale the image to about 520 x 622 pixels. That's what the Kindle does to it anyway.

You could add a second cover image at the front of the file, so that every file will come with both the color and the grayscale. But I believe Medi is right that only one can be officially recognized as the cover of the book.

Deleted member 42

Convert to grayscale and scale the image to about 520 x 622 pixels. That's what the Kindle does to it anyway.

You could add a second cover image at the front of the file, so that every file will come with both the color and the grayscale. But I believe Medi is right that only one can be officially recognized as the cover of the book.

Yeah, I tried a couple of work arounds even, and thus far, There Can Be Only One.

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
If you scroll down a bit on this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621 you'll find the Kindle Previewer. Once installed, when you open an ebook in it, it will show you more or less exactly what a Kindle user would see, including how your cover will look in b&w. It also lets you switch between various versions of Kindle (including the PC app) so you can test it out on all the options. I'm not sure if it's been updated since the latest releases, though.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My brain keeps trying to attach the head in the middle with the torso at the bottom if the cover--but I guess they don't actually go together?

Deleted member 42

I'm not sure if it's been updated since the latest releases, though.

It hasn't, but it's still worth checking, but I'd also use the Kindle app on your computer, and get various volunteers to take a look on Kindles and other Kindle apps because you do want the cover to look good everywhere.

DanBrennan

Registered
Reaction score
Ack! You all are awesome. Thanks so much, I'm off to try all this.

And veinglory, thanks for the feedback. I hadn't seen it that way, but I can see how there's a disconnect between the head and torso...they should go together, so I'll play around with the opacity of the figure.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You may have already taken care of this, but you have to obtain special permission to use "Bleeding Cowboy" font on a commercial project. If I'm mistaken about the font you've used, I apologize, but it's fairly recognizable.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Actually, the US copyright office does not protect typeface as a design product. It is protected as software, which this is not an example of.

If you are in the US it would still be polite to contact this designer for permission at [email protected]

DanBrennan

Registered
Reaction score
That was my understanding as well Gale, and Cyia, you're right it is Bleeding Cowboy - I just downloaded it the other day and love it so I've been playing with it a bit too much. I'm fairly certain it's not the right fit for this cover and won't be using it on the final, for sale product. If I do, I will certainly run it by the creator - don't want to profit off another designer's work anymore than I'd want someone else to profit off my books, after all. (The cover itself is five layered photos that are a mix of my own shots and stock photos I purchased commercial use rights too).

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
:Thumbs: You can only specify one cover in the metadata, but you can have more than one image in the book. The second image is treated as a normal image, just like you would add one into the text of the book. I have at least a few Kindle books that have two images at the beginning of the file. THAT is what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion...