• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Needed for Folklore / Historical Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dietvanillatim

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I need a beta reader for my work-in-progress. I've had friends and family read it, but I need the refreshing honesty / practical cruelty of the Internet.

It's set in the late 19th century South. Gold miners, land developers, singing trees, haunted pianos, moon maidens, giant turtles, and more. It's fantasy, but neither "urban" or "sword-and-sorcery" -- historical fantasy or folklore are better descriptors. It's not YA, but there's no objectionable material (gore, sex, or swears).

The manuscript is pretty long (149k, though cut from 211k -- I'm trying!). You wouldn't have to commit to reading the whole thing; even reading a few chapters would be very helpful.

In return, I'd be happy to beta your work(s). I'm an English major, college professor, and I've published short stories and a short story collection in two languages. I'm not much interested in romance or YA, but I'll read anything else.

PM me if you're interested or you want to read a sample! Thanks.

stealingvowels

They're stealing our vowels!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if you still need beta readers, but this sounds like something I would really enjoy reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.