Snail Mail Query

PhotoHutch

Registered
Reaction score
This may have been covered somewhere, but I sure couldn't find it. When you send a query snail mail, do agents prefer (or care) the method: overnight, priority, or regular mail?

Overnight seems a tad presumptuous, but I sure l like those flat rate priority envelopes for mail I track. . . .That wouldn't tweak an agent, would it? Some can be so persnickety, especially those that specify their selected font type, size, margins, etc.

Thanks!

Steve

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
First class regular mail. It's still cheaper than priority, and you don't win any bonus points with agents sending it any faster. If you send something that requires a signature, it'll probably just get refused. (I believe on overnight, you have to specifically tell them you don't want a signature.)

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... If you send something that requires a signature, it'll probably just get refused. (I believe on overnight, you have to specifically tell them you don't want a signature.)

This. Maybe they'll go down to sign for it, but it won't endear your submission to them. And, maybe they won't go down at all. Send it regular mail (you can request a receive receipt for about seventy cents... maybe ninety? I forget).

Also, if you haven't found it, once you know the postage (and weight) of your manuscript, you can pack it up and leave it on your doorstep (or workplace), if you're sending from the U.S. You just have to go online, pay for postage there, and schedule a pick-up. God, I wish I'd found that earlier in my previous subs. The time I've spent in line at the Post Office...

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
That actually sounds easier than what I do. My solution to avoid the post office was to buy a bunch of stamps of different values, calculate the postage online, put the stamps on it, and drop it right in the mail box. I think I had one bad experience paying online or something.

Thanks for the tip.

PhotoHutch

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions and tips!

Regular mail, with delivery conformation seems the way to go. . . .