Top 5 Favorite Television Shows

rmkrisby

Party & Write til I Die
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this would be a fun thread in this sub-forum. I know it MAY be hard for some to do this, I know I will have trouble thinking of as much as TEN, but also fun. What are your ten favorite television shows (that are over, or that are currently on television)? It can be in order, or not. Mine, in no particular order is:

1. How I Met Your Mother
I have only recently discovered this show because a lot of people from my school watch it. I absolutely love the characters, especially Barney who is that hilarious and promiscuous man that every good comedy needs. Not only that but I love how every episode is a flashback that may not even line up chronologically, but that all contribute to this story of how Ted met his kids' mother. Beautiful story and an enjoyable show!

2. SURVIVOR
This show is my dark pleasure!!! I've been watching it since the beginning, when I was nothing but a little kid (7). One of my biggest dreams is to be on the show! I have SURVIVOR strategies just stocked up in my brain!

3. Adventure Time with Jake & Finn
This show takes all of the staples of fantasy and turns them into a hilariously awesome show. People think this is a child's cartoon, but that is a LIE! The dialogue, fantasy-humor-references, and characters are all too witty for a kid to truly appreciate it. I spend most of my mornings with a bowl of cereal and this show. It keeps me young.

4. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The most hilarious show I know. If you haven't seen it, go watch it now. Any words I use cannot do this show justice.

5. Glee
I really caught on with this show before most people. I am a music, show choir, showtune junkie and the concept of this show appealed to me from the start. It's a little shaky now compared to the first season which I loved, but I really appreciate what this show does and it will always hold a place in my heart. It's good.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I quite like How I Met Your Mother, but I don't think it comes into my Top 5.

Okay! In order:

1. The Big Bang Theory.
I love sitcoms, and I love science. This show is just so awesome. I'm always laughing my butt off when watching it, especially when something really geeky happens.

2. Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
I'm ashamed to admit that Big Bang overtook Buffy... Buffy was my favourite show for years and years. I've seen all 7 seasons of Buffy about 4 or 5 times, including when they were first released on TV. There's just something about the combination of fantasy, sci-fi, comedy, action and drama that makes me happy.

3. Black Books.
Just a short series from England. It stars Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey, my 2 favourite stand-up comedians. This show is so bloody funny! I love it to bits.

4. Daria.
Honestly, this could've been number 3, but I thought of Black Books first. Probably the smartest sarcastic humour I've ever seen on TV. Daria's a goldmine of deadpan deliverance of this wit, while Jane is just awesome beyond description. Love it so much.

5. Futurama.
Way better than The Simpsons in my opinion. :) I love all the hidden references and jokes, the voices of the characters play well with their body language for cutting hilarity, and the tone is more adult than The Simpsons (which I grew up with).

Phew! Okay, so that's it. :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I liked "ER," the sitcom starring George Clooney as a young intern and Conchata Ferrell as a nurse. I don't know if it was great TV, but I love the looks on people's faces when I mention it.

Oh, and seriously, I like Futurama too.

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I don't watch much TV but here's the ones I like:

Big Bang Theory (Always fun to laugh at myself. Or in this case people very similar to myself. :) )
Firefly (Space Cowboys!)
Star Trek (Geek)
Dr. Who (Weirdness)
Castle (A show about a mystery writer. :) And Nathan Fillion)

I also like Daria and other shows. I'm looking forward to Once Upon a Time and Grimm when those shows come out this fall.

I'm also looking forward to a second season of Downton Abbey. I know it's already showing in the UK. I'm hoping to see it here in the US somewhere.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I almost mentioned Firefly too. I heart Joss Whedon. :)

But my personal preference went more with Buffy, and there are so many TV shows I love to bits that Firefly just missed out.

But Firefly was better than Angel, IMO. ;)

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The shows I still watch:

1). House - Always thought House was an interesting character. The original team will always be the best.

2). Whose Line Is It Anyway (US Edition) - I always enjoy improv.

3). Doctor Who - Satisfies the geek in me. Plus, the Doctor is a BAMF.

4). Iron Chef America - I always wonder what the next secret ingredient is going to be...

5). Spongebob Squarepants - The kid in me will never go away (though, as many have seen, the show has uh...really taken a turn somewhere. Don't know whether it's in the right direction).

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'll play:

1) Supernatural
The best television show ever, in my opinion. Dark at times, hilarious at others, lots of great horror and suspense.

2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Loved it in high school and still do.

3) House
Mystery, sarcasm, drama, one of the most interesting characters on television.

4) Dexter
I don't get Showtime so unfortunately I can't keep up with it now, but I think what they've done with this show is amazing.

5) The Vampire Diaries
If only for Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore

I'm also a fan of Firefly and Bones

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good call on Whose Line? - it might be lowbrow, but it never fails to make me laugh too hard.

Mine might be these (sorry, I'm taking eight):

- All the Looney Tunes cartoons.
- Poirot
- Hu$tle
- M*A*S*H, before it got all serious
- Castle
- Sea Change - an Australian series about a lawyer who left the big smoke to live in a seaside town. Really well done.
- Phineas and Ferb

Honorable mentions:
- Are You Being Served?
- Columbo
- Life on Mars (the UK version)
- Cheers
eta:
- Horrible Histories ( great kids' show on the darker side of world history. The 'Stupid Deaths' sketch is always a winner. :D )

Last edited:

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
1. X-Files
2. NCIS
3. Criminal Minds
4. Smallville
5. Moonlight

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
1. Roseanne: The early episodes, before they won the lottery. The show got all negative and cynical in the last few years.

2. Cheers: Again, the early episodes when Coach was on the show.

3. Dexter: Just awesome. Witty, lighthearted dialogue intertwined with profoundly sad and violent situations.

4. Sopranos: I just love mobster flicks and shows.

5. Saturday Night Live: I realize they do a lot of stupid crap, and I haven't watched it in years, but there have been decades of successful, timeless skits and improv that have created characters known and loved by multiple generations.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm leaving out HBO, because it wouldn't be fair -- The Sopranos, Deadwood, the Wire (maybe best series ever) etc., etc.

1. The Shield. Riviting, with some of the best acting ever on TV. Michael Chiklas was electric in every scene, complex and compelling. Likewise Walton Goggins, (Shane) now on Justified. Forrest Whittker had a long arc playing an IA officer, some of his best work ever, and that's saying a lot.

2. Arrested Development. Just brilliant. Rumor has it they're going to do an additional 13 episodes, as well as the long proposed movie

3. Frasier. Consistently the best written comedy show ever. If you want to write comedy all you need to do is study those scripts -- great dialogue, tight shows where everything always comes together, and impeccable comic timing from everyone, especially Niles (David Hyde Pierce.)

4.The Rockford Files. Not really in the same class as the others, but James Garner is unbeatable.

5.The Prisoner. ex-spy Patrick McGoohan as a prisoner on a mysterious island, held by either the Soviets, his own government, or someone else. Kafkaesque, surrealistic, the forerunner to X-Files and all similar shows. Way ahead of its time, first aired, unbelievably, in the sixties.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
In no order:

Scrubs
Blackadder
Spaced
X Files

Honorary mentions:

Peep Show
Cheers
Fraiser
Black Books
Simpsons
Red Dwarf

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see...in no particular order:

E.R. - it was good up until the very end when they had too many doctors rotating through. But man...I loved that show.

Friends - yup. I don't care what you say.

The Wire - We have the whole series on DVD. My husband got me hooked, and we watched the whole series in a few weeks.

The Sopranos - Enough said.

Dexter - We don't have Showtime, and I've only seen up through part of Season 2, but man...what a creative show. I'm impressed on all levels - the acting, the writing...everything.

labcoat meerkat

Registered
Reaction score
My silly list of current favorites. That I have watched. I understand there are other shows that I am missing out on.

Comedy
South Park
Louie
Simpsons
Modern Family
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Drama
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
Good Wife
True Blood
Dexter

Other
Daily Show
Colbert Report
60 Minutes
No Reservations Anthony Bourdain
Rachel Maddow

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
I have to do this in categories.

All-time
1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2) Dexter
3) The West Wing
4) Angel
5) True Blood

Honorable Mentions:
Battlestar Galactica
Sports Night
The Shield
The X-Files
Bones
Castle
Firefly

Comedy/Sit-Com
1) Fraiser
2) Community (this show is seriously underrated)
3) How I Met Your Mother
4) Will & Grace
5) Modern Family

Honorable Mentions:
Cheers
Big Bang Theory
Scrubs
The Office

Guilty Pleasures
1) Hell's Kitchen
2) Man v. Food
3) Cash Cab

In a Category of Their Own
1) The Daily Show
2) The Colbert Report

Last edited:

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Hrm. I don't watch much TV, but I'll play.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
True Blood
Psych
Firefly
Whose Line Is It Anyway

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Project Runway
Boardwalk Empire
X-Factor!
Parenthood (I think. Just started watching it)
Mad Men

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Apparently I need to watch Supernatural and catch up on NCIS. Not to mention check out a few other repeats on here. ;)

Steph

Worst.
Registered
Reaction score
1) Arrested Development
2) Lost
3) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
4) Seinfeld
5) Adventure Time

I like comedy, apparently.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
1. Boomtown (the late, lamented)
2. Friday Night Lights
3. Southland
4. Lost
5. Criminal Minds (though I'm starting to waver there, it's suffering IMO)

anne.arthur

Registered
Reaction score
I'll play! In no particular order:

1. Angel -- Oh, Wesley....
2. 24 -- even though I officially broke up with the show when they "killed" Tony
3. Queer as Folk -- Gale Harold, enough said
4. Chopped -- it's the best show on Food Network
5. Dante's Cove -- everyone needs a very, very guilty pleasure

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Random order...

Mad About You
Newhart
Wings
Taxi
Leave It To Beaver

Also love: The Honeymooners, The King of Queens, Monk, The Bob Newhart Show, and any old shoot-em-up Western series.