Status
Not open for further replies.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Anyone who has a book(s) on Amazon or any other bookseller online, I'd love to know what your experience has been. What is your ratio of book samplers to those who actually purchase? I believe I saw someone say 10% recently, but I can't remember where that was, and I'd love to hear from several if possible.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
My books are on Amazon, but I didn't know it was possible to even get any figures about how many samples had been downloaded, or in fact how many sales! Does that only work for the self-published on Amazon books?

Are these figures actually correlated on Amazon? That is can you tell if the person who bought the book had earlier downloaded a sample? So if 100 people downloaded a sample and 20 people bought the book, do you know how many of those 20 people were from the 100 samplers? Some people might just come along and buy it without downloading a sample. So the ratio might look like 20%, but might not be.

Others might download a sample, like it, but end up buying the book elsewhere.

Some people might download a sample more to act as a reminder to get the book later, than to actually read. I do that sometimes, with a book I already know I'm going to buy eventually. I get the sample and stick it in my To Read collection on the Kindle. I may never read the sample before I go and buy the book later on.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Actually, I don't know if you can get that info from Amazon - I assumed you could and that it just wasn't showing in my stats because I didn't have any. Whoever it was that said 10% must have been talking about Smashwords.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should straw-poll us writers as consumers too: for example, I buy about 1-2 books a week on Kindle and almost always buy what I sample-read (say, 75%+) because I've checked out the author/story/concept/subject-matter first before downloading the free sample. As long as the free sample doesn't suck, I'll buy the work, but I have a strong preference for stuff below five dollars.

Maybe I'm too easy.

Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.