Status
Not open for further replies.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
For those who publish under a pen name, how do you handle the issue of the author photo, whether it's on an author profile page at Amazon, for instance, or on the book itself? Do you just use your real photo? Or do you simply remain mysterious? Do you think people get turned off if there isn't a photo of the author either in the aforementioned places or even on the author's web site?

Reaction score
I don't use one at all. I've refused to give one to my publishers and if they don't like it, oh well.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I use my real photo but then I don't care who knows what I write. For those who care, don't use a photo. Instead, you can use an caricature Avatar (there are websites that will take a photo and turn it into a drawing) or even your book cover. Book covers are great on things like Facebook and Twitter because it's permanent, free advertising that will show up even if the viewer doesn't visit your actual page. :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I doubt a publisher is doing to demand an author photo. My publisher asked if I had one, so I sent it along. If you don't want to give them one, I can't see it being an issue.

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Thanks for your replies. I'm self-pubbing, so in building my site, author profiles, etc., the question arises. Obviously I control whether I put up a photo or not, but I just wondered how others who use a pen name deal with the issue.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Recently, i was asked by an editor to provide a photo to sit beside a short story of mine. I sent one in that'd been taken a couple years ago after i'd been travelling around Alaska and Canada for 5 weeks. During that time i'd cultivated a magnificent beard, and my hair was overdue a cut by about three months.

It's one of my favorite photos, but i doubt too many people would recognize me from it.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I personally plan to wear a mask for the photo. It will be a museum-quality Carnivale mask that I've made, myself, in front of a suitably-interesting background. And if they don't like it, then too bad. No author photo.

Oh. My. God. That's genius.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't have to worry about photos since light bounces off my head and the resulting picture looks like a supernova.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd go with sunglasses and a wig.

Reaction score
I was 'encouraged' to send an author photo to one of my publishers, and I more or less said to them, "You can use this, or nothing."
Defaced.jpg

They went with 'nothing'.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was 'encouraged' to send an author photo to one of my publishers, and I more or less said to them, "You can use this, or nothing."
Defaced.jpg

They went with 'nothing'.

But it looks just like you!

I don't use one and no one has every complained. Really, they don't care.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
I've never bought a book based on an author photo so I don't think it matters much.

That being said. If ever asked I'll offer pics from when I went to a comic convention as Mystique. Bonus points if they can find a pic with me and the guy cosplaying as Wolverine.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I've never been asked for one by my publisher. I could have chosen to put one up at various places, but the only place I have a photo of myself is my personal Facebook profile which I don't use for publicity anyway (though it wouldn't be hard for someone to find it, since it's linked to my author page on Facebook.) I can't imagine why anyone would care about what an author looked like anyway, aside from idle curiosity. I certainly don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.