PDA

View Full Version : Anorexia/ ruptured esophagus?

JennieRose8
10-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Hello! I have reached a part in my story where one of the characters has purged for perhaps the last time. She has ruptured something in her attempts to purge- would that be the duodenum or the esophagus or what? what treatment would she incur as a result? What complications might there be?

I'd appreciate any help I can get !

Thanks in advance.

Jen

Drachen Jager
10-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I think you mean bulimia.

The Mayo clinic has a fairly comprehensive bulimia page, looks like stomach problems are more likely than esophageal complications. http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_symptoms_of_eating_disorders_000049_6.htm

JennieRose8
10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
No, it's my understanding that this can happen with both bulimia and anorexia because both are prone to purging.

Thanks for your input.:)

Maryn
10-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Ah, no? Part of the defining feature of bulimia is the purging, through vomiting and laxative abuse, as opposed to anorexia's voluntary starvation.

Maryn, sure

shaldna
10-04-2011, 11:58 PM
No, it's my understanding that this can happen with both bulimia and anorexia because both are prone to purging.

Thanks for your input.:)

No.

As a bulimic I can tell you now, for a fact, that anorexics do not purge. Those with anorexia bulimia however do. There is a difference, and it's important to know and recognise this.

Bulimics purge (vomit) but do not generally starve themselves.

Anorexics starve themselves but do not purge.

Anorexic bulimics starve themselves and them purge when they do eat.

stragely, of the three, bulimics are thought to be in less danger because they are not at risk of starving themselves to death.

the main issues with bulimia are teeth rot, heart failure and potential rupture of the esophagus due to either trauma or repeated exposure to acid.

There are a host of complications that can arise, primariliy breathing difficulties, heart failure and, in exteme cases of forced purging, an aneurysm. If the esophagus ruptures then there is the potential for septicemia.

edit: in addition, there are issues surrounding rot in the lower intesinal tract because we don't poo until somethign else pushes it out, and so less food goin in means less coming out and food can hang around for longer, which means longer internal fermenation and a greater risk of anal rupture due to conspitation.

strictlytopsecret
10-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Yes, some diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa do indeed purge. Their specific diagnosis would be Anorexia Nervosa, Binge-Eating/Purging type.

Esophageal rupture is a major complication which can be fatal if not promptly and properly treated.

~STS~

crunchyblanket
10-05-2011, 02:30 PM
edit: in addition, there are issues surrounding rot in the lower intesinal tract because we don't poo until somethign else pushes it out, and so less food goin in means less coming out and food can hang around for longer, which means longer internal fermenation and a greater risk of anal rupture due to conspitation.

Yup. I recently had to do blood cultures for a known bulimic, who developed septicaemia after impacted faeces ruptured her sigmoid colon, causing a wound which became infected.

She got better, thankfully.

Theo81
10-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes, some diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa do indeed purge. Their specific diagnosis would be Anorexia Nervosa, Binge-Eating/Purging type.

Esophageal rupture is a major complication which can be fatal if not promptly and properly treated.

~STS~

Anorexics will purge after eating, but they have to be forced to do so in the first place (and whoever is forcing them will ensure to prevent the purging afterwards). As I understand - I'm not a doctor - a ruptured esophagus happens with bulimia rather than anorexia, even the purging type. Somebody who is eating but then vomiting daily may be bulimic rather than anorexic.
The psychology of bulimia and anorexia is very different and the OP should be clear about what is going on in the head of their MC.

strictlytopsecret
10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Anorexics will purge after eating, but they have to be forced to do so in the first place (and whoever is forcing them will ensure to prevent the purging afterwards).

This is a very common myth (i.e., people with anorexia do not eat unless forced). The bulk of people with AN do eat (though their eating is restrictive). Actual calories consumed is not a factor in the diagnostic criteria.

As I understand - I'm not a doctor - a ruptured esophagus happens with bulimia rather than anorexia, even the purging type. Esophageal rupture is a risk for any person who routinely purges (regardless of diagnosis).

Somebody who is eating but then vomiting daily may be bulimic rather than anorexic.Yes, it is possible that someone who purges daily would be diagnosable with BN. However, if they meet the criteria for AN - Binge-Eating/Purging type, they cannot be simultaneously diagnosed with BN.

The psychology of bulimia and anorexia is very different and the OP should be clear about what is going on in the head of their MC.Agreed. Though the overlap is considerable, the two are distinct.

~STS~

Theo81
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
This is a very common myth (i.e., people with anorexia do not eat unless forced). The bulk of people with AN do eat (though their eating is restrictive). Actual calories consumed is not a factor in the diagnostic criteria.

I should have been clearer, I was thinking about when "forcing" an anorexic to eat "normally".

JennieRose8
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Lots of good information, thank you, folks. I'm thinking that if an anorexic were eating daily to please someone, she might feel forced to also purge daily.

IceCreamEmpress
10-05-2011, 11:24 PM
There certainly are people whose anorexia includes both restricting and purging, as many others have said.

However, you'll need to specify that that's what's going on with the character, as most readers will not be aware of that, and will equate the word "anorexia" with "restricting only."

Presumably you've done this in your manuscript, but as you can see from the thread, it's important to be clear because even people who have themselves experienced eating disorders may not be aware of the different ways in which other forms of eating disorder can manifest themselves.

This article (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/806548-overview) about the consequences of purging is written for doctors treating patients in emergency situations.

JennieRose8
10-14-2011, 05:56 PM
There certainly are people whose anorexia includes both restricting and purging, as many others have said.

However, you'll need to specify that that's what's going on with the character, as most readers will not be aware of that, and will equate the word "anorexia" with "restricting only."

Presumably you've done this in your manuscript, but as you can see from the thread, it's important to be clear because even people who have themselves experienced eating disorders may not be aware of the different ways in which other forms of eating disorder can manifest themselves.

This article (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/806548-overview) about the consequences of purging is written for doctors treating patients in emergency situations.

Thank you, this is what I was thinking and also thank you for the article.