How were casualties reported in the Korean War?

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I have a character in my WIP who (I think) has an older brother in the military serving in Korea. I've heard that casualties were reported during television news broadcasts for the Vietnam War, but did they do anything similar in the Korean War? If not, how would a doting younger sister try to keep tabs on her brother?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The magazine reporting I've seen from the time, they were trying to play it like WWII, although it was getting frustrating and scary a few years in, what with the nukes and the quagmire.

But at the time, the thinking was trying to be like WWII (they didn't know about Viet Nam, after all).

Sorry I can't be of more help. The magazines I have obviously weren't focusing on casualties.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
If I remember right during Vietnam, we were given daily the number of US killed, US injured, US missing in action, Allie killed, Viet Cong killed. There was no reporting of individuals who were injured, except for in minor markets. The number who died was high enough that they didn't usually give out names. I don't remember them ever listing injured.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe