Just received first request for my manuscript - question

jaymzb0nd

Registered
Reaction score
As the title states, I just received my first request for my manuscript (full at that). My book is part of a series but I did not mention that in my original query letter. I'm wondering if I should mention that I have another book that's part of the series and been written/ready to go for in case they like my book that I'm sending now or should I just wait until they decide to sign me (wishful thinking)?

As I've stated in other threads before, my book is a short Humor book with a length of 4,000 words that would need illustrations. The reason I would like to mention my other book is because it has a length of 10,000 words and I'm afraid that the first book may be considered too short (although I understand alerting them of a second book wouldn't change that). Either way I'm going to work now and am planning on sending the agency what they requested later tonight when I get home. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
When you're querying a manuscript you're querying THAT manuscript. If you want to query your other book, query your other book.

You should have included word count in the initial query, that way the agent would know what to expect.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That is pretty short (the other one too), but perhaps that is normal for that type of humor book, which might be apparent in the query.

For future querying, include the word count.

jaymzb0nd

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I forgot to mention that the word count was included on the original query so the agent is aware. I'm just conscious of the word count after a lifetime of hearing about how much size matters :)

jaymzb0nd

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I researched this agent and she apparently requests manuscripts quite a bit so I'm not as excited as before but regardless it's definitely good to get one request under the belt. If anything good comes of it, I'll let you all know.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Illustrated humor books are typically short so I don't consider that a big deal. As for the second book in the series, the others are right. Query THIS manuscript. If there is interest, then mention you are nearly complete on a second book. Agents just LUUUUV to sell multi-book deals, so to hear that another book in the same series is ready would make her happy.

But only bring it up IF she offers on the manuscript.

jaymzb0nd

Registered
Reaction score
Again, thank you for all of your input. Now we play the waiting game haha. In the meantime I'm excited because I just found another agent who seems perfect for my book (it really fits the profile of what he's looking for) so I'm going to wait until Monday to query him as I've heard it's not good to query agents during the weekend because it can get lost in the crowd of others.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
If the agent offers rep than go ahead and talk about a series, but no point mentioning it now, since you are query one manuscript, and one only.

Also, sometimes sadly it is not up to the author if a book is a series or not, it's up to the publisher and whether or not they can market and sell, and what not a series... and so forth.