Herman Cain -- "Straw" man?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Link

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has won a Tea Party straw poll in suburban Chicago.

77% of the vote.

The convention had representatives from seven states.

But then, it's Illinois. The question is, can he make license plates? That's becoming a requisite skill in our elected officials.

:)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised he hasn't started to implode already.

But wait, wasn't this some sort of Tea Party Convention thing? Because I thought the tea party was filled with racists. That's what we've been told. Looks to me like it's at least 77% social conservatives who either don't care or are suffering from Mass White Liberal Guilt Syndrome[SUP]TM[/SUP]. Or doesn't Herman Cain count since he's a Republican?

Of course, it was in Chicago, so no telling what the actual vote counts were. :ROFL:

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what Michael Barone wrote:

"That possibility is already being taken seriously by The Wall Street Journal's Daniel Henninger. Henninger argued in a Sept. 29 column that Cain's success in business -- engineering turnarounds in Burger King's Philadelphia stores and Godfather's Pizza nationally -- made him a plausible candidate.
"Unlike the incumbent," Henninger wrote, "Herman Cain has at least twice identified the causes of a large failing enterprise, designed goals, achieved them and by all accounts inspired the people he was supposed to lead."
Cain's business success, his "9-9-9" tax plan, his generally conservative stands on issues, the YouTube clip showing him debating Bill Clinton on health care in 1994 -- all of these help account for his apparent surge in the polls. ............
Cain still has significant liabilities as a candidate and could make a disqualifying mistake any time. But he's beginning to look like a contender."

Cain might be the most likeable candidate - Romney is rather stiff and Perry's "charm" doesn't resonate outside Texas. The rest of the field is deemed to have no chance of winning the nomination.

But, then, there's still Chris Christie looming over the horizon

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
But wait, wasn't this some sort of Tea Party Convention thing? Because I thought the tea party was filled with racists. That's what we've been told. Looks to me like it's at least 77% social conservatives who either don't care or are suffering from Mass White Liberal Guilt Syndrome[SUP]TM[/SUP]. Or doesn't Herman Cain count since he's a Republican?

Of course, it was in Chicago, so no telling what the actual vote counts were. :ROFL:

Just wait, I'm sure someone will be along to explain how this only proves the Tea Party is racist.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Just wait, I'm sure someone will be along to explain how this only proves the Tea Party is racist.
I already did. They're obviously suffering from Mass White Liberal Guilt Syndrome[SUP]TM[/SUP] and can't help themselves. I can see them in the voting booth. Struggling with one hand to hold the other hand back from pulling the 'Cain' lever, like a Marty Feldman routine. :rolleyes:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I already did. They're obviously suffering from Mass White Liberal Guilt Syndrome[SUP]TM[/SUP] and can't help themselves. I can see them in the voting booth. Struggling with one hand to hold the other hand back from pulling the 'Cain' lever, like a Marty Feldman routine. :rolleyes:

Nobody ever said racism had to be rational...

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
As of this am, Christie's realistically considering the race, but wondering if it's too late. I don't think so.

Far as Cain's concerned, he's more viable than Romney or Perry at this point, imo. The latter is in the corner as a racist, and that's never good as a candidate. He's got a lot of explaining to do.

So far, Cain hasn't said anything too off the wall. However, I'd still like my prez to have had a political background such as a governorship just for experience sake. Cuts down on the learning curve a tad.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score

Rep point for invoking Marty Feldman. :D

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

"That possibility is already being taken seriously by The Wall Street Journal's Daniel Henninger. Henninger argued in a Sept. 29 column that Cain's success in business -- engineering turnarounds in Burger King's Philadelphia stores and Godfather's Pizza nationally -- made him a plausible candidate.
"Unlike the incumbent," Henninger wrote, "Herman Cain has at least twice identified the causes of a large failing enterprise, designed goals, achieved them and by all accounts inspired the people he was supposed to lead."
Cain's business success, his "9-9-9" tax plan, his generally conservative stands on issues, the YouTube clip showing him debating Bill Clinton on health care in 1994 -- all of these help account for his apparent surge in the polls. ............
Cain still has significant liabilities as a candidate and could make a disqualifying mistake any time. But he's beginning to look like a contender."

Cain might be the most likeable candidate - Romney is rather stiff and Perry's "charm" doesn't resonate outside Texas. The rest of the field is deemed to have no chance of winning the nomination.

Hey, was that a weight crack?

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com

However there is a fundamental difference between a business and a nation: You can't fire a nation's citizens. You can cut their benefits but unlike being in management the citizens get some say in the next election whether you can keep your job.

On the other hand since one of the central tenets of 'conservatism' is that if you disagree with them you are not a citizen, I doubt Cain or any of the others will have little trouble revoking the citizenship of a lot of people.

In my opinion.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far, Cain hasn't said anything too off the wall. However, I'd still like my prez to have had a political background such as a governorship just for experience sake. Cuts down on the learning curve a tad.

That was one of my biggest reservations about his getting elected in '08. With everything that needed to be done, I wasn't certain how much would fall to the side or under the cart because he had to learn how to work in the system. I don't consider myself politically astute by any means, so it's always scary to me when I'm right.

Personally, I'd love to have Cain running against Obama in '12. I think he could give Obama some run for his money and make it an interesting race. I also rather enjoy the image of the closet racists being faced with possibly voting third party. It would be a very interesting election.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
However there is a fundamental difference between a business and a nation: You can't fire a nation's citizens. You can cut their benefits but unlike being in management the citizens get some say in the next election whether you can keep your job.

In my opinion.
You can't fire your board of directors, either, which is a better analogy. Although most of the directors are too distracted to bother with anything but showing up and voting the way they're told.

The more important difference is that businesses and bureaucracies operate totally differently, have different reasons for existing and therefore different operational objectives.

A bureaucracy does not respond to the same signals a business does, and running a bureaucracy like a business is like trying to drive a sailboat. The same controls aren't even there, and the ones that look similar don't do what you think they do.

Economic planning in a bureaucracy fails because the pricing information necessary for economic calculation is missing. It didn't work in the USSR, it doesn't work in North Korea or Cuba, and the economy is barely limping along in those places where some semblence of markets still exist.

The more of the economy that functions outside a pricing system the more disfunctional the economy. We may just learn that lesson in the US before it's too late, or we may not.

Last edited:

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score

On the other hand since one of the central tenets of 'conservatism' is that if you disagree with them you are not a citizen, I doubt Cain or any of the others will have little trouble revoking the citizenship of a lot of people.

In my opinion.

Sure, Cain has liabilities - lack of political experience being an important one.
As for your second statement - I could offer the opinion that a central tenet of 'liberalism' is that if you disagree with them you are heartless fool.
It's also not easy to revoke one's citizenship - especially if they were born here.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's also not easy to revoke one's citizenship - especially if they were born here.
Why bother? Just declare them the enemy and blow them away by executive order. There's precedent, now.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Tom Woods points out that Cain is as clueless as the rest of the clowns when it comes to the economy.
Now this really takes the cake: here is Herman Cain on September 1, 2008, saying the economy is in terrific shape.

Here’s what happened over the following two weeks:–

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were taken over by the U.S. government (Sept. 7);
– Merrill Lynch was sold to Bank of America;
– Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy;
– The Fed bailed out AIG;
– Washington Mutual was sold to JP MorganChase;
– Treasury Secretary Paulson said the economy was so bad that $700 billion must be spent on bailouts immediately; otherwise, warned Ben Bernanke, “we may not have an economy on Monday.”
Not that Cain's alone. You can find similar quotes from Bernanke, the congressional leadership, and many of the 'top economists' of the day.