Shrink wrap!

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
I had to buy a $200 textbook for school. It's special so it's shrink wrapped.

If I break the shrink wrap, I don't get money back if I need to return it....

*stares at shrink wrapped book*
*takes a deep breath and --*

*stares at shrink wrapped book some more*

I don't even know why this is bugging me so much...

... don't mind me. Just talking it out...

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Oh yes....one of those deals where you can't return something if you open it. Same with DVD and CD's as far as I know.

What happens if you remove the wrapping from the $250 book and find blank pages or pages missing, or that some of the typeset is so odd you can't read it?

My thoughts are with you as you contemplate whether or not to remove the wrap...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Down here, you can still get a refund if you open things, provided the goods are damaged in some way.

I mean, if a CD doesn't work, how are you supposed to know that before you open it?!?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I actually learned about this in my Retail course this year.

Basically, there's an actual law in Australia that says if something is faulty, you have to give a full refund if the customer wants one, regardless of store policy. I forget what the law is called exactly...

What the stores can do, however, is take down the name and other details of everyone who comes to get a refund on faulty DVDs and CDs.

That way, if they're just buying, copying, returning, then the store can pick up on repeat instances. I mean, if someone gets a refund on a faulty CD 5 times a month, while only 1% of your customers ever buy faulty products... well, you can pretty much do the math and go "Hmm, I better tell the authorities about this suspicious behaviour."

At least, that's what I was taught. :)

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
I think they do it with textbooks here to prevent people from buying textbooks, copying the pages, and then returning the textbooks for a full refund.

I broke the seal on that book.

Then I stared at the shrink wrapped Lab manual. Only $160, but still... I stared at it and I couldn't bring myself to open that one. A strange, static-y feeling at the base of my skull kept poking me ever time I reached for it. Then I rechecked the prof's syllabus.

It's the wrong book.

Even though the woman at the campus bookstore told me - twice! - that it's the right book for the class, it's the wrong %@&$-ing book...

Glad I didn't break that wrapper...

Drbob31

Registered
Reaction score
had a couple of those in my time in school. Generally passed on the new copies and bought an already depreciated copy from Amazon.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I never buy a book until I'm sitting in class and the teacher tells me exactly what books they want.

And then I wait until the very last minute to see if they'll actually use the book.

And then I see if I can get away with getting the previous version's copy. Usually works with history and literature. Doesn't always work for math.

And those stupid "lab work books" are a rip off anyway.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Not only did I immediately open every single shrink wrapped book I ever got in college, but I continued to hoard said books into adulthood, nurturing the delusion that I would one day use them again.

Even the lab manuals... :heart:

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Not only did I immediately open every single shrink wrapped book I ever got in college, but I continued to hoard said books into adulthood, nurturing the delusion that I would one day use them again.

This. This right here.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to return the still-shrink wrapped lab manual to the campus bookstore yesterday. The assistant manager told me she would have to take a 15% penalty fee from the refund, since I was returning it past the "last day to return books for a full refund" day. (Which I don't understand, since that day happens to be the day after school starts, and how are people supposed to be sure what books they need *before* seeing their professors?)

I said "No, that doesn't seem reasonable to me. I bought this book on a recommendation from your staff member. You need to return all my money."

She tried to give me a hard time about it. I held my ground. (The fact that I needed to take a piss at the moment didn't help).

I explained that the book is still shrink-wrapped, the information they have from the professor is wrong, the book is *not* the book in the course syllabus for requirements. She checked her PC, went to the section where all the textbooks were, came back with another book and plunked it on the counter.

"Look," she said. "You're supposed to get either this book, or this one. This black one is $260. The one you're trying to return is only $160. Are you sure you don't want to keep it?"

"Thank you for illustrating my point," I said. "You've just told me I need one or the other. Your staff member told me I need both. The professor told me I need neither of those books. There's obviously some kind of information snafu, and I won't let you penalize me for something beyond my control."

She consulted with her superiors and ended up giving me my money back.

I apologized for being so troublesome.

She said that her supervisors told her to do the full refund to avoid making me an "enemy."

I'm glad it worked out in the end.