OHL Coach wardrobe - practice

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
What would an OHL (Ontario Hockey League) coach wear during practice? I've watched clips on youtube and it seems like they're wearing warm-up pants, but I can't get a really close-up look at them.

I found specialized ref pants that seemed to have padding built in, and wondered if coaches were wearing these? There must be some protection, somewhere, I assume, with all those pucks flying around.

Would they just wear a cup and regular pants, or is there something specialized for coaches?

Thanks for any information!

Jimayo

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever they want. Every coach has his own style. Some where suits just like they do in games, some dress down and wear sweats. I've seen some AC's wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
With no protective gear whatsoever, or with some padding?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
They're not going to be in the thick of things on the ice, no. At that level, the players would have enough basic skills that the coaches can stand on the sidelines and holler.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I was worried about loose pucks. At that level, the players are putting some serious speed on them!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty unlikely. Especially at that level when they know which side of the rink the net is on. Plus, he's behind the boards.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
At practice he's behind the boards? I think they're out skating with the team, at practice...

CaseyMack

Write more; worry less!
Registered
Reaction score
Have a look at this short vid of WHL coach Don Hay. He's wearing a track suit/warm-up gear, without either shin guards or elbow pads from the look of it. I think some coaches might choose to wear those kinds of pads under their track stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Df3n2W1oo

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Useful clip - thanks. Frightening mustache at the 2minute mark, but that was a good view of the coach in action (I was beginning to wonder whether I'd been seeing ACs on the ice while the head coach was elsewhere).

Anyone want to weigh in on whether the coaches would be wearing protective cups, or would they be a bit more daring? (I'm writing a Romance, and there's a scene coming up where the coach has just come off the ice-I need underwear details!)

Jimayo

Registered
Reaction score
They're not going to be in the thick of things on the ice, no. At that level, the players would have enough basic skills that the coaches can stand on the sidelines and holler.

Some do. It's the OHL, not a pro league, after all. These are just kids and some of them don't have all the skills down yet. Generally speaking those coaches with hockey experience get hands on in practice. Show the kids how to do it right.