Older atheist fiction.

ceramiccoconut

Registered
Reaction score
Website
breakingthemetawall.blogspot.com
An MC of mine is questioning his beliefs (and those forced upon him by his mother) as a pre-teen. I need him to be reading something substantial for his age group (or a little older) that depicts or teaches atheist (or at least agnostic) beliefs. The trick is, this would be happening in the very late 1980s. If it were only a little later, I could use His Dark Materials. Unfortunately, I'm rather stuck in this time period for other plot purposes.

Really, I just need something informative for him, but going against his mother's strict Christian teachings.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Potentially non-ficton by Rachlin or BF Skinner. I am hard pressed to think of fiction from that period that is overtly atheis--though I am sure it exists

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Carl Sagan's Cosmos or James Burke's Connections TV series are both good bridges to humanist ideas, and both would have been out for a while by the late 80's. Books by James Randi, as well. Not overtly atheistic, but definitely champions of rationality.

ceramiccoconut

Registered
Reaction score
Website
breakingthemetawall.blogspot.com
Thanks! I found one that's actually beyond perfect, especially because it ties into to something later in the book (Faith Healers by James Randi). And it came out in 87.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Carl Sagan's Cosmos or James Burke's Connections TV series are both good bridges to humanist ideas, and both would have been out for a while by the late 80's. Books by James Randi, as well. Not overtly atheistic, but definitely champions of rationality.

And don't forget Carl Sagan's first contact novel Contact, as well. That was out by the late 80's, I think, and it was fairly popular and might have been read by your protagonist if he was a SFF fan.