October Western Writing Prompt

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Revised #7

The lust of gold has always driven men mad. The ear piercing yell that went up when the precious yellow was found could be heard from the far side of the world. Men followed after it by the thousands, some with their families in tow. Before long, hundreds of camps and towns sprang to life along the river banks, forever altering the once virgin wilderness. And day by day the desperate men who inhabited them combed the waters. Then diverted it and used its power to wash away mountainsides, all in pursuit of the medal that would make them rich.

Many of those lives, young and old were lost. Not just to the dangers of mining, but to disease and murder, and other unspeakable things.

The glory days of Elizaville are over. The gold has played out and the miners have gone, all except for one. The few hardy souls that stay with their near dead town, call him the old ‘49er. But he is not the only oddity in these parts. There are things that happen here that defy explanation.

Your character(s) is passing over the Sierra Mountains to California. He/she/they happen upon Elizaville that is already well rundown. He/she/they decide to stay awhile to rest and re-supply. What happens after that is up to you. The year can be any between 1875 and 1900. The word count should be from 500 words to 2000 or more. The deadline is October 31.

If there are any questions, let me know.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Now I see the difference between a prompt and a topic. Hadn't really encountered prompts like this before. Aren't these pretty limiting? Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen them before like this in Writers Digest Magazine.

I thought that by having a spacific place, time, and word count might help anyone who what's try their hand at this prompt.

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, CD. :)

I agree with Puma that it might be a little restrictive, but then again mores the challenge.

So I'm easy to proceed on this as it is or open it up a little. :)

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I know this off-track, but have you seen The Treasure of Sierra Madre? Great movie!

On to the topic. I think I could get something from this. Am I to assume this is what we're going with? I for one don't really think this is too restrictive. Is someone else gonna post one and we vote or is this it?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Dan's the picker for this month, so his call on whether we go as it is or open it up a bit. My concern is that if it's too restrictive it will turn potential posters off and we don't want to do that. Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
October Prompt Revised.

I’ve been getting some concerns over this month’s prompt. So I hope that this will help widen it and get more participation.

A Western Ghost Story; Set between—let us say form 1870 to the present. You are aloud ghosts, monsters, vampires, etc. It has to have a western setting or theme; meaning (just for an example) an old west town still in its hay-day— for a classical western setting or a ghost town for a present day setting. Word count should top out at about 2000 to 4000 words. The Prompt ends November first.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. This is definitely something I can run with. I think you've done a good job getting us started with a western prompt. Happy writing, all!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for expanding the challenge, Dan. We'll see what we can come up with. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff, CD. Thanks for putting the work into the original prompt and thanks for loosening things up a bit, too. Looking forward to writing it and reading the other prompt pieces as well. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Woo-hoo! First draft for the October challenge is done. Little over 2,500. I may end up doing two cause I had two ideas after Dan expanded the topic and the month is young. Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds great, Puma. Can't wait to see them.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The October Prompt just prompted an idea I can run with, now I just need to find the time to write it. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been through my first story about a dozen times since I finished it including a historical edit, and am now about halfway on the first draft of a second. I had a good idea for the second, but now my characters aren't sure they want to go the route I had planned so I'm having to do some thinking on it. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been through my first story about a dozen times since I finished it including a historical edit, and am now about halfway on the first draft of a second. I had a good idea for the second, but now my characters aren't sure they want to go the route I had planned so I'm having to do some thinking on it. Puma

Good for you, Puma. I look forward to reading them both. :)

This prompt is getting me excited. I just started writing and I can see something good coming. Of course, my writing skill at the moment may not fulfill the ideas, and the ideas may be a bit tired, however -- things are looking rosy in a Western-Halloween-Ghost Town-type-Scary-type-way.

I'm even trying to forgo all that fancy layered type nonsense in favour of a straight shooting style -- saying that, I've only written a page or so, but still ...

Woo-hoo! :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Story 2 finished itself today with an ending I hadn't anticipated when I started. Neither of my stories is particularly scary, but, as I well know, any ghost is scary having dealt with one for a number of years. This second story turned out to be of the "told around the campfire" type like Dan suggested. And I'm way off on my setting - Montana for one and North Dakota for the other. Puma

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Story 2 finished itself today with an ending I hadn't anticipated when I started.

Excellent stuff. :)

At present I have two beginnings and am wondering whether one of them would serve better as voice of a character instead of a narrator. I'm erring on the side of character as this will sort of tick the box of the 'camp fire story' element of the prompt.

Neither of my stories is particularly scary, but, as I well know, any ghost is scary having dealt with one for a number of years.

Now, Puma; you can't just drop this sorta thing on us. At risk of a derail, I demand further explanation! :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Quickie explanation: old house built between 1815 and 1840. At least two ghosts experienced / heard / seen by several people. One ghost, a gray figure of a small man, would show up in the corner of a room. Seen by several people. Startling, but not scary. The other ghost(s) more wide ranging - seen as a beam / focal point of blue light by several people including me. The scarier part of this ghost was moaning, crying, making noise, and its ability to lift covers off the bed, make the windows rattle, and touch people. My bedroom seemed to be the hot spot for activity. I had a little dog who slept in the room with me and she'd become so frightened her eyes would roll back in her head and she'd be shivering and panting uncontrollably. Not fun.

Possible explanations of who - the male ghost I think is of the man who lived in the house from 1840 to 1895. The figure resembles his son whom I knew when I was a kid. The troublesome ghosts - there were twin daughters who died a few days apart in 1854, probably during a cholera epidemic. I suspect my old room was their room. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I added to the western markets thread today with a website I found, primarily British, but some potentials for the US. A couple of the sites use ghost stories, so there may be some prospects from our October prompt. In the markets thread, this new site is listed after magazines as general (even includes Playboy - they pay well!)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like there's some stories to be had from your experiences, or just from the house and it's previous inhabitants. They do say writing is cathartic, but in this case you could really exorcise some demons! :)

I added to the western markets thread today with a website I found, primarily British, but some potentials for the US. A couple of the sites use ghost stories, so there may be some prospects from our October prompt.

Excellent work, Puma.

In the markets thread, this new site is listed after magazines as general (even includes Playboy - they pay well!)

Now, Puma; I was doing so well in my 'don't be clever and try to keep things to a classical western style' and then you have to go and mention Playboy!

Suddenly my October Prompt has a rapacious succubus in it. :)

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
The markets are limited to almost nothing anymore these days. I wish we had a magazine out there somewhere that published more western fiction.

Thanks, Puma, for working so hard at searching for the few places that except western fiction. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever looked at Roundup magazine, Dan? I never have, but it's put out by the Western Writers Association so I've been curious about it. I'm not sure I've ever noticed it on newsstands. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Half way through the month and figured it's a good time for a quick check up. Who's in so far for the October prompt? :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Puma's in. Two stories, both about 2500. I may post one on 10/31 and then wait a week or so to post the second so we aren't hit with too much at once and then a dry spell for half the month. Puma