PDA

View Full Version : Writing strengths and weaknesses?

Fruitbat
10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Do you know your writing strengths and weaknesses? If you feel like sharing, what are they? Have you overcome any of them?

PrincessofPersia
10-02-2011, 10:37 AM
One of my biggest weaknesses was using "as" in its use as a conjunction, e.g., I jerked forward as the bus slammed to a halt. Stuff like that. Once I got rid of them in my current WIP, it was pretty easy to avoid them.

My betas tell me pacing and descriptions are big strengths of mine.

AlishaS
10-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Punctuation is a huge weakness of mine. And I think after having written three novels (to date) I can see huge improvment. But I'm not all the way there yet. I still have to rely on my wonderful beta's and crit partners to help me out.
A strenghth? Hmm. I've been told that I can paint a nice picture for readers... so description and imagery I suppose.
I find as a writer it's easier to know what your weaknesses are rather than picking out your strengths. We are our own worst critics.

Filigree
10-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I've always loved long descriptive passages that create a riveting sense of place. Unfortunately, I write great dialogue, instead.

heyjude
10-02-2011, 02:59 PM
What about you, Fruitbat? You have to share, too!

I'm apparently terrible at conveying character's emotions. Blech. I do try. I'm just bad at it, but working hard to make it better.

Something I've more or less overcome is working in the appropriate amount of backstory. That came with practice and reading other books.

I'm halfway decent at dialog and building romance. :LilLove:

Linda Adams
10-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I always like to to think what the weakness is and the opposite of it, which is a strength.

My creativity falls under both, because it's my greatest strength and my greatest weakness. I can make wild leaps in creativity, but I have be careful because I can go way too far and go into areas where I'm too risky for publishers.

Another weakness is that I'm not detail-oriented -- by details I'm not talking just hair color and eye color but things like inciting incident, world building, etc. I can add them into the story because someone says I need world building, but they don't mean anything to me -- so it's really easy for me to do way too much. The strength though is that I'm a big picture thinker, so I can see the whole story in my head all at once. So what I've been doing to handle the details is approaching them from a big picture perspective and figure out how they fit into the bigger picture. I also don't let the nitnoid details get into the story -- hair color, eye color --or only allow them to get in exactly once.

The last weakness, caused by a strength, is that I tend to start stories way too late. While I can see the big picture of the entire story, I can't see it at the beginning of the project. This causes huge problems, because the setup comes in anyway, sometimes even at the end of the story, and requires tremendous revision to fix. So I have to figure out where I think the story should start, back it up, and then back it up again. I'll also have to spend a lot of time on the first fifty pages in revision making sure it works right for the rest of the story to work.

jaksen
10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
My readers like my dialogue. Some like the 'complexity' of my plots. I had one daughter-parent pair of fans who'd read my stories together and then discuss what motivates my MC. So I think I'm good at the psychology part. I guess.

I really don't think too deeply about my writing, tbh. I just write.

bearilou
10-02-2011, 05:17 PM
"Just" shows up a lot in my writing.

I'm a procratinator of the worst sort and it takes me forEVER to get my butt in the chair.

I'm still at that stage where I am writing and out of the blue I discover that everything I've written is horrible and why am I doing this? Thus allowing the negativity to pull me from the keyboard and I stop writing and feeding back into my procrastination.

Description. When I start to describe something, I find my vocabulary suddenly drops off to ten words. It feels stilted and wooden.

Plot pacing. I just don't have a feel for it yet and feel like I'm dragging along.

As for my strengths? Characters and dialogue.

Scene pacing. I have a good grasp on when to start and end a scene to get the information I want across.

Nonny
10-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Characterization and dialogue are my strengths.

Description is my weakness. I'm really bad about it, and I'm quite jealous of people who can effortlessly write good description, because it's something I have to actively think about and try to put into my story.

There's also procrastination but I'm not sure if that counts... ;)

Captcha
10-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Strength is dialogue and characterization; weakness is plot, especially %$@* endings! What do you mean, the story shouldn't just peter out? Climax? I write Romance--of course there's climaxes! Oh, the other kind? Huh...

Namatu
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I've been complimented on my dialogue. Description used to be a weakness, but every time it's needed, I paused and consciously made more of an effort, considering the ways in which the scene/object/person could be described and which best fit the character POV doing the describing, and my description abilities have improved a lot. I still end up slowing down when I need to write it, but it doesn't take me nearly as long to get it out now.

For weaknesses, I procrastinate, and sometimes I struggle with how much information to share with the reader, usually erring on the side of "not enough," which can create a somewhat unsympathetic MC until betas and revision. As that's been pointed out to me, I'm getting better at identifying it myself.

Nakhlasmoke
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Strengths - character and dialogue.

Weaknesses - plot, pacing, description.

Carrie in PA
10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Strength: the writing

Weakness: sitting my ass down to do it

JSDR
10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I think my strength is characterization and, when I remember to put it in, description.

I'm afraid to say my weakness is writing a female character's perspective.

Alitriona
10-02-2011, 07:30 PM
My weaknesses are punctuation and grammar. I work to improve everyday. I also see confidence as being a weakness in my writing because sometimes I'm tempted to play it safe. Sometimes, with a scene or a sentence, I will go for an easy option rather than challenge myself to push forward.

My strengths are decriptions and believable characters, according to feedback from readers. I'm also told the twists I throw in are genuinely surprising.

Jamesaritchie
10-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Greatest strength? Probably my willingness to sit down and write come hell or a TV show I really, really want to watch, plus the ability to follow Heinlein's Rules to the last detail.

Weakness? I have no idea. If I did, I'd fix it.

nchahine
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm only going by what the majority of critters have said. Apparently, my weakness is description. But characters are my strength.

At least I know what needs improving.

Alwaysinspired
10-02-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm the first one to admit I'm a horrible speller, so I utilize spell check constantly. My punctuation has improved dramatically since writing my first manuscript, because it was weak. I'm also getting better at showing what my characters are doing. I've always been descriptive when it comes to describing surroundings and people. I guess my one real weakness currently is I can be long-winded. I'm really working hard on conquering this one.

semmie
10-02-2011, 07:53 PM
When I start to describe something, I find my vocabulary suddenly drops off to ten words. It feels stilted and wooden.

I totally hear this.

Al Stevens
10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Strength: I'll have to let others decide that.
Weakness: Writing from the viewpoint of a woman.

Kitty27
10-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Strengths: Characterization,voice,and description.

Weaknesses: Out of control word count,grammar,and sometimes I descend into a bright purple world of wild prose.

timewaster
10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Greatest strength? Probably my willingness to sit down and write come hell or a TV show I really, really want to watch, plus the ability to follow Heinlein's Rules to the last detail.

Strength - I can work very hard when I have to.
Weakness - I don't work hard all the time.
In writing terms I think my dialogue is weaker than I'd like, I tend to overcomplicate and I always rush endings. I don't really know what my strengths are - I am a storyteller I suppose.

Ken
10-02-2011, 11:51 PM
... weakness: tangents, which don't advance the story.
I resolved this, to an extent, by keeping focused on the story rather than the word count.
Strengths: Hmm. Will have to get back to you on that.

scarletpeaches
10-02-2011, 11:55 PM
There's nothing about my writing that I dislike; I see room for improvement every day, of course I do, but I know I'm a good writer with an ear for dialogue, a sharp wit, and the ability to carry sexual tension across several pages, chapters or even the entire book.

My one weakness, not connected to the writing itself, is lack of self-discipline. I wish I could make myself sit down and write more often and more regularly, because when I do, what I produce is good.

AlwaysJuly
10-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Interesting question.

Writing strengths -- Dialogue; I think I have a good ear for dialogue and for transcribing the 'good stuff' onto the page. Characterization - my characters are three-dimensional.

Writing weaknesses - Description; I tend to gloss over it (I'm reading WORD PAINTING right now by Rebecca McClanahan, which is all about description). Writing with an eye to the market.

Six months ago I would have said revision, but I've come far with concerted effort and study, I think. Along the way I've learned a lot about plot and structure, so that's improved as well.

It's an endless process, I feel, but it's exciting to see my work steadily improving.

Tepelus
10-03-2011, 05:48 AM
I've been told by some peeps on SYW that they like my voice, which is good. My weaknesses that pop up a lot seem to be description and of all things, pronouns. The way I use pronouns tends to confuse some and I'm unaware of it until someone points it out.

Xelebes
10-03-2011, 06:10 AM
From SYW:

Strength: my cadence is strong. Vocabulary is strong, though at times hyperlexic.

Weakness: my cadence is too strong and pisses off readers. I can sometimes fall into hyperlexic garble.

KTC
10-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm almost at the point where I can say positive things about my own writing. This year has been a year of changes for me...a year of personal growth. Not that I grew a lot...I was at the bottom of the growth chart...I moved up maybe 2 notches. (-; I am beginning to contemplate the possibility that I am good at writing dialogue.

My weaknesses are many. I write every day in order to make those weaknesses less severe.

CaroGirl
10-03-2011, 04:06 PM
My strengths are in the mechanics. Punctuation and grammar. I write REALLY clean first drafts.

My weakness? My first drafts are always too short.

stormie
10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Weakness=Too many flashbacks.

Strength=can easily slip into each character's head.(Now entering the Twilight Zone.)

Undercover
10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
My strength I guess would be the description and emotional connection with my characters. Flow and pace are another few things critters point out that seem to be my strong points.

Weaknesses? Word count too short, not enough character development. Too commercial and not literary enough, a few editors have said. Spelling and typos (no matter how many times I read it over) And like SP said, losing the experience over time. And using "but" and "as" too much in my first drafts. Not always finishing my projects and procrastinating has become a big thing lately too. And now after starting my sixth book, they're all starting to sound the same. LOL

Jamesaritchie
10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Weaknesses? Too commercial and not literary enough, a few editors have said. LOL

I'd never consider this a weakness. It's like saying, "Sorry, but this book would sell too many copies. Write us something that only a few people will buy." The best literary writers out there are also extremely commercial.

DancingMaenid
10-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Strengths: Spelling and grammar, editing and proofreading, and characterization. At least, I like to think I'm good at making characters. I may be biased, of course.

Weaknesses: Description, describing action in a way that doesn't feel like a laundry list, especially when it comes to really action-oriented scenes like fight scenes.

Fallen
10-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Strengths: maybe more the ability to go drink heavily on the 'what if's' and come up with original solutions to problems. (Confidence)

Weaknes: the ability to sober and expand on the 'what if -- I've bloody screwed this whole sodding thing up?' and hide the work away for fear it isn't good enough. (total lack of confidence)

DeaK
10-04-2011, 01:51 AM
This is very much on my mind as I have been revising for some time.

Elements I have recently become better at handling: linking up cause/reaction/cause/reaction in the big and small picture. Keeping some control of my characters' emotions (they tend to run wild and high).

What's before me: Slowing down pace. Balancing introspection/description/exposition in dialogue scenes.

Satsya
10-04-2011, 02:20 AM
I've been told I write great dialogue. I have a strong natural style that makes my work shine when I let it through. I also seem to have a knack for pacing.

My weakness is description. I forget that the reader needs me to tell them where they are and what they're seeing. I've been working at making my descriptions less bland and forced.

Shadow_Ferret
10-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Strength: Dialog.

Weakness: Writing about reality. That's what happen when you don't socialize.

scarletpeaches
10-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Strength: Dialog.

Weakness: Writing about reality. That's what happen when you don't socialize.I people-watch. That is, I go out, but don't integrate unless it's with one other person, or a very small group.

I've been called anti-social by people who mean it as an insult, but I've come to realise that's okay. One doesn't have to mix with groups of people, regularly, constantly.

One or two short outings each week is fine if that's your default setting. And it's enough to imbue your writing with a sense of reality. So I'm told. If compliments on my writing are anything to go by, my way works.

kaitie
10-04-2011, 04:16 AM
I think my strengths are character and dialogue. I've always been good at character. I used to suck horribly at dialogue to the point that I avoided it at all costs, but after some time spent working at it, it improved a thousand-fold and even became pretty easy.

Plot is one of my biggest weaknesses. I've had to work hard at outlining to improve it, but I still have a hard time with it. I'm working on subplots at the moment, which is difficult for me in terms of structure, but I'm hoping I continue to improve.

I also have a hard time with beginnings and I think that really shows. It takes me at least 30k words to really get the feel for the story and get the voice right, and even when I edit afterwards I still feel like that first bit is never as strong as the rest. Something of a problem considering how many people will never read past the beginning if they aren't feeling it.

Mr. Anonymous
10-04-2011, 04:26 AM
strengths - dialogue, characterization, humor, absurdism
weaknesses - description, facial descriptions especially, plot (lol.)

Resolution - I opt for a minimalist style that puts the dialogue/characters at the forefront. I rely heavily on dialogue to convey character, emotion, etc. If I feel like I'm too directionless, I may sit down and create a list of scenes I need to cover, that are essential for the book.

I don't try to do things I can't do, but rather, I try to work around them. A writing Professor of mine, with stories in the New Yorker and all, told us that every writer has weaknesses, but developing a style is about finding away to work around your deficiencies.

Manuel Royal
10-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Weaknesses: Description, plotting, and hard work. I'm a lazy, daydreaming bugger.

Strengths: Character, dialogue, odd ideas.

CrastersBabies
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I people-watch. That is, I go out, but don't integrate unless it's with one other person, or a very small group.

I've been called anti-social by people who mean it as an insult, but I've come to realise that's okay. One doesn't have to mix with groups of people, regularly, constantly.

One or two short outings each week is fine if that's your default setting. And it's enough to imbue your writing with a sense of reality. So I'm told. If compliments on my writing are anything to go by, my way works.

I don't get why people even care what you do in terms of socializing! Good grief. Why would someone insult you by calling you anti-social?

As for this post's original sentiment...

Strengths: Confidence, voice, POV, dialogue, willingness to experiment and "try on new pov hats."
Weaknesses: Setting, plot (I know, what the heck?) I'm working on the plot thing.

Actually, I see a lot of responses from people stating plot as their weakness.

How about a plot support group? :)

PrincessofPersia
10-04-2011, 07:59 AM
I don't get why people even care what you do in terms of socializing! Good grief. Why would someone insult you by calling you anti-social?

I people watch all the time. I get it from my dad. People have called me antisocial, cold, &c. But when they wonder why someone is acting a certain way or doing a certain thing, guess who they ask. The guy who spends his time out observing people's behaviours instead of getting pissed and ralphing in the toilet.

scarletpeaches
10-04-2011, 07:59 AM
I don't get why people even care what you do in terms of socializing! Good grief. Why would someone insult you by calling you anti-social?Lord knows. Most of the time I suspect it's a dislike of their own company, and they can't imagine why someone would enjoy spending time alone, so they lash out. But just the other week I was excoriated by another writer, who, amongst other things, said I was anti-social, had no friends, and never left the house.

How she would know this I don't have a clue. I didn't contradict her, knowing I would sound defensive, but she's one of those people who has no female friends (I wonder why:rolleyes:) and surrounds herself with men because she doesn't like herself or her own company, deep down.

It smacks of loneliness, and a resentment that I don't need other people quite as much as she does.

kuwisdelu
10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
My strengths include pretty damn good first drafts with lyrical prose and good descriptions and narrative.

My weaknesses include assuring my plot is realistic (can be difficult for me) in addition to cohesive (easier for me), and sometimes being too wordy and lengthy, and my dialogue sometimes being unrealistic.

nchahine
10-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Oh, people will surprise you. It stems from insecurity and lack of understanding. I prefer keeping to myself most of the time, also. If I had a choice I'd rarely get out.

seun
10-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Well, at least you'd fix it, eh?

As for me, weakness - my beginnings are always baggy and I don't think I'm great when it comes to description.

Strengths - I think I'm good at character, dialogue and coming up with a readable story.

Pyrephox
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Strengths: Plot. I have no problem stringing together a reasonable series of events, along with the rising and falling action, tension, twists. Characterization.

Weaknesses: Oh, how I love the comma. The innocent comma is not safe from my greedy hands, and she is abused shamelessly throughout my work. Weasel words that lower tension. "a bit", "for a moment", "almost", "as if", "seemed to".

CrastersBabies
10-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Lord knows. Most of the time I suspect it's a dislike of their own company, and they can't imagine why someone would enjoy spending time alone, so they lash out. But just the other week I was excoriated by another writer, who, amongst other things, said I was anti-social, had no friends, and never left the house.

How she would know this I don't have a clue. I didn't contradict her, knowing I would sound defensive, but she's one of those people who has no female friends (I wonder why:rolleyes:) and surrounds herself with men because she doesn't like herself or her own company, deep down.

It smacks of loneliness, and a resentment that I don't need other people quite as much as she does.

I agree that people like that have to find ways to feel "good" about themselves. Maybe pointing out your flaws did this for her. Kind of pitiful!

As someone who is a more private person it baffles me to watch people who must always have the spotlight, who has to have 100s of friends flitting about them. Perhaps people like you (and me) baffle the "flitterers" just as much. Haha.

Kyla Laufreyson
10-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Strengths: Dialogue. I've gotten so many compliments on my dialogue, and I credit that to all the people-watching I do. I had one person reading a chapter at one point, tell me they not only couldn't stop laughing at the dialogue, but that they read it all out loud to someone else who was in the room with them and that the other person loved it as well.

I think I'm also pretty good at writing relationships as they develop. That was a major compliment I got on Weeping when it went out to a beta recently.

Weaknesses: Physical descriptions when it comes to setting. I can picture the locations perfectly, but transitioning that picture onto a page is a LOT harder for me.

I also kind of fail at action, which is why I avoid fight scenes as though they were Death Himself.

kaitie
10-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh gosh, fight scenes. I so can't write fight scenes. It's one of the most frustrating elements for me.

CrastersBabies
10-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Oh gosh, fight scenes. I so can't write fight scenes. It's one of the most frustrating elements for me.

Kaitie,

Bless your lil' heart for mentioning this. I'll add it to my "suck" list too. So, now it seems we all need a plot support group and a fighting scene support group.

(sigh)

Kyla Laufreyson
10-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I will happily join the fight scene support group, as long as someone else is president.

CrastersBabies
10-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Strengths: Dialogue. I've gotten so many compliments on my dialogue, and I credit that to all the people-watching I do. I had one person reading a chapter at one point, tell me they not only couldn't stop laughing at the dialogue, but that they read it all out loud to someone else who was in the room with them and that the other person loved it as well.

I think I'm also pretty good at writing relationships as they develop. That was a major compliment I got on Weeping when it went out to a beta recently.

Weaknesses: Physical descriptions when it comes to setting. I can picture the locations perfectly, but transitioning that picture onto a page is a LOT harder for me.

I also kind of fail at action, which is why I avoid fight scenes as though they were Death Himself.

See for me, people watching doesn't help my dialogue much at all. If I were to use a real conversation in a book, I think I would put my readers to sleep! Haha. (Too many uhhs and umms and slang and interruption and fluff)

But, I think if you are able to filter that and then put it into a story, you can definitely make it work.

What helped my dialogue the most was playwriting (and reading plays). It was my first "genre" before I switched over to fiction and being forced to get subtext across w/little or no action/stage direction can be tough! But, it forces you to dig deeper into dialogue, to find what is important enough to write and what you can put into summary.

Chasing the Horizon
10-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Strengths:
1. Dialogue. I had this perfect right from the beginning. I credit having spent most of my childhood reading good books and watching good movies. It gave me a natural feel for how to write dialogue (which is not at all how real people speak, btw. If you wrote that way it would sound horrible).

2. Characters. Everyone who has ever read my work has commented on how unique and entertaining the characters are.

3. World-building. I love creating new worlds and strange societies and making them work in a believable but totally different way.

Weaknesses:
1. Plotting. I hate plots. Really, they're evil. I can happily write for many thousands of words with no plot in sight, lol. Since I know I'll never come up with a great plot, I've learned to compensate by making the characters, writing, and world so involving that no-one notices my plot is weak.

2. Pacing. I have a really hard time telling. My natural inclination is to show everything, which screws up the pacing since telling is an essential part of writing. I've gotten better with this but it still takes conscious effort for me to make myself tell the parts which shouldn't be shown.

3. Grammar. Meh, that's what copy-editors are for, right? :tongue

Kyla Laufreyson
10-04-2011, 11:29 PM
But, I think if you are able to filter that and then put it into a story, you can definitely make it work.
Filtering is one of the things I try to focus on a LOT while I'm writing dialogue. The "uh", "um", and "weather talk", as I like to call it, gets to stay the heck out. Unless it's on purpose. Sometimes I'll write something like, "Uhm, what are you doing?" and that's totally intentional, because the "uhm" is getting across some of the voice.

VeryVerity
10-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Strengths: spelling, grammar and punctuation. An ability to be objective and learn from criticism, meaning I may be publishable one day.

Weaknesses: Many. Conversational dialogue is really hard for me, as I find conversation difficult (if I have to start it; I'm fine if someone else starts. When writing I have to be all people, so I always have to start. I dislike this). To date, no amount of people-watching has helped, more's the pity!

kaitie
10-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Strengths: spelling, grammar and punctuation. An ability to be objective and learn from criticism, meaning I may be publishable one day.

Weaknesses: Many. Conversational dialogue is really hard for me, as I find conversation difficult (if I have to start it; I'm fine if someone else starts. When writing I have to be all people, so I always have to start. I dislike this). To date, no amount of people-watching has helped, more's the pity!

I love this one!

Tettsuo
10-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Strengths
Plot and character development. So far I've got great review for both in my writing.
Scheduling my writing sessions. If I've scheduled it, I'll definitely knuckle under and get it done.

Weaknesses
I have a tendency to drift if I'm in the character's head.
Sentence structure
I get lost on tangents, which makes it appear I'm rambling on in the writing.
I have a tough time getting the story going when I open to a new scene. It's often done in a very clumsy manner as I'm trying to figure out where I'm taking the scene.

areteus
10-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Weakness: I am more purple than a Roman emperor and can use 2000 words when one would suffice. I am the anti-terse! I also have an annoying tendancy to write really complicated sentences with many, many clauses in them which later have to be broken down and sold for scrap (or rewritten into several shorter ones). And that last one is not even the worst example of that I have done. Oh, and I have tense lapses which I don't even notice - switching between past and present tense because I start in one, go away from the manuscript for a bit and then come back to it having forgotten which tense it was in...

Strengths: I have been told by several (including someone on this very forum but I shall name no names) that I can do good, strong world building. Mainly this is because I spent most of my life practising world building skills for other purposes...

CrastersBabies
10-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Weakness: I am more purple than a Roman emperor and can use 2000 words when one would suffice. I am the anti-terse! I also have an annoying tendancy to write really complicated sentences with many, many clauses in them which later have to be broken down and sold for scrap (or rewritten into several shorter ones). And that last one is not even the worst example of that I have done. Oh, and I have tense lapses which I don't even notice - switching between past and present tense because I start in one, go away from the manuscript for a bit and then come back to it having forgotten which tense it was in...

Strengths: I have been told by several (including someone on this very forum but I shall name no names) that I can do good, strong world building. Mainly this is because I spent most of my life practising world building skills for other purposes...

The good thing about "over" writing is that you can always pare it down. And I find it easier to pare down than to fill out.

I tend to write longer sentences too, more complex sentences. Revision is usually more chopping of sentences and simplifying for me, but it's easier than fluffing things up and fleshing out. (At least for me.)

PrincessofPersia
10-05-2011, 05:05 AM

Wow.

tlbodine
10-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Strengths:
Dialogue..everyone always comments on my dialogue-writing. Characters. Vignettes/micro-scenes

Weaknesses:
Plotting -_- I have such a hard time resolving plots on a satisfying way. Also a tendency to write long over-wrought sentences with entirely too many punctuation marks crammed into them. Just because I can use them doesn't mean I should...