Interest From Top Agent at Major Agency

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Just as I was about to quit querying (after sending out 200+ queries), I picked myself up off the floor and decided to resume querying. Lo! A top agent from a major agency asked to see my manuscript only an hour or so after I sent my query off!

Fingers crossed. Hopefully perserverence will pay off.

Scribelady

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Just as I was about to quit querying (after sending out 200+ queries), I picked myself up off the floor and decided to resume querying. Lo! A top agent from a major agency asked to see my manuscript only an hour or so after I sent my query off!

Scribelady

Fantastic news! Crossing my fingers for you!

rmkrisby

Party & Write til I Die
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my! Good luck, hopefully you succeed and they will offer to represent you and your novel! :D

Paul

Banned
Reaction score

Scribelady
perseverance? it's luck, all luck!!

(kiddin. of course, just a ref to another thread. congrats!)

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, everybody!

Obviously, I received some requests for manuscripts -- only about ten or so out of the 200+queries -- all rejected, of course. Interestingly, they were all from top agencies - no interest from 2nd tier agents at all.

Any way, this last request was very encouraging, particularly since I was about to give up on the idea of getting an agent and was considering sending queries to independent publishers.

Scribelady

Alwaysinspired

Registered
Reaction score
I bet you're thanking that little voice inside your head that told you to continue querying. Always listen to it. Good luck; I hope you acquire representation :)

Last edited:

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score

Scribelady

My fingers are crossed for you! And thanks for giving the rest of us hope not to give up.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Scribelady, good luck!
I too had sent over 200 queries and had a decent amount of requests, but most resulted in rejections - or fulls with no response after six or so months.
After my last re-write, I became depressed when I realised there was no one left to query! So, I went back to square one and chose a few agents I'd queried over a year ago, when the manuscript was an entirely different beast.
As it happens, these select few requested fulls and in around ten days, two - yes two!!! - of these lovely agents simultaneously emailed me to arrange phone calls! I was out of my head with excitement. Then, after I sent off some 'courtesy emails' to the others still with fulls, I received multiple offers! Yes. Multiple!
It's a cliche, but I was literally walking on air, with a huge smile on my face, for days. I still have that smile now, three weeks later, and cannot believe that I'm now agented - especially considering I'd almost given up.
Sorry, this post has turned into a bit of a 'How I got my agent' story, but, my point is this...
It's never too late and hang in there, because the right agent is out there somewhere... hopefully the one reading your full this minute :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Again, thanks, everyone for your encouragement!

JBuck: I love your story! I was thinking of doing the same thing ... going back in time and resending my query (rewritten many times) to agents I would have wanted to represent me but who did not respond or declined.

Its so inspiring to read how others have persevered until they became agented!

Best,

Scribelady

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Great stories, Scribelady and Jbuck. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to both of you!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Another member of the 200-Plus Club here. Some weeks I'd send out my five queries in tears at the seeming futility of it all. But the mail went to the post, the SEND button got pressed. Then dreamy agent read the MS overnight and offered the next day.

Even if this one doesn't pan out, don't quit until you have exhausted all possible agents. Then lurk in wait for new ones.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Another member of the 200-Plus Club here. Some weeks I'd send out my five queries in tears at the seeming futility of it all. But the mail went to the post, the SEND button got pressed. Then dreamy agent read the MS overnight and offered the next day.

Even if this one doesn't pan out, don't quit until you have exhausted all possible agents. Then lurk in wait for new ones.

I double this. Same here with the 200+Club. Furthest I've gotten was a 50 page partial upped to a full, still waiting on that one. But I had another partial (first three chaps to a full) and it was a bust. So they all might be. But I keep lurking to send out more.

I wish you all the very best Scribelady! Keep us posted as to how things go. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LoLo

Registered
Reaction score
Scribelady, good luck!
I too had sent over 200 queries and had a decent amount of requests, but most resulted in rejections - or fulls with no response after six or so months.
After my last re-write, I became depressed when I realised there was no one left to query! So, I went back to square one and chose a few agents I'd queried over a year ago, when the manuscript was an entirely different beast.
As it happens, these select few requested fulls and in around ten days, two - yes two!!! - of these lovely agents simultaneously emailed me to arrange phone calls! I was out of my head with excitement. Then, after I sent off some 'courtesy emails' to the others still with fulls, I received multiple offers! Yes. Multiple!
It's a cliche, but I was literally walking on air, with a huge smile on my face, for days. I still have that smile now, three weeks later, and cannot believe that I'm now agented - especially considering I'd almost given up.
Sorry, this post has turned into a bit of a 'How I got my agent' story, but, my point is this...
It's never too late and hang in there, because the right agent is out there somewhere... hopefully the one reading your full this minute :)

WOW! What an inspiration you are. Congratulations!!!!!!!!

LoLo

Registered
Reaction score

Fingers crossed. Hopefully perseverance will pay off.

Scribelady

I am so happy for you! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
ScribeLady, that IS inspiring! Super-huge congratulations. Here's a little extra something for that submission . . .

{{{{{ *oobee oobee* g o o d v i b e s *oobee oobee* }}}}}

. . . and please keep us posted!

~~Sally
Member, 200+ club

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for this encouragement, ScribeLady. I've been feeling a little discouraged at being rejected 8 times with no requests... not even remotely close to triple digit rejections. But your story and others like it are encouraging me to keep going. I do believe in my story and I need to keep reminding myself of that. Thanks for sharing.