Multiple Contest Submissions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Contests

What Mike said. Read the rules. If they say don't do it, then don't do it. But I'm always skeptical of "highly regarded contests" anyway.

the debster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
Yes, Mike, I do read the rules as I'm not a novice in this regard. I'm referring to contests that don't publish such details within their submission guidelines.

Although some may argue it's best just to submit to literary mags rather than fiction contests, I figure why not? Not only are the winners published, the winnings are higher than payment most literaries offer (except perhaps Glimmer Train or Zoetrope). They also offer good exposure. I've received a good deal of interest after winning one national competition recently.

Here are the ones I have in mind:

1) The John Steinbeck Award for the Short Story - only original unpublished shorts, simultaneous subs okay with notice

2) Orchid Literary Review, Short Fiction Contest - finalist judge Amy Hempel. Nothing is mentioned about sim subs, or unpublished on their web site.

3) The William Faulkner Writing Competition. No mention of sim subs here either.

In the first 2 cases, winners will be published. For the Faulkner, many novelists have been published by major houses, and high exposure is given to the finalists/winners in other categories.

Interested to hear what you all have to say.
DJLedford

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
I'd query the other two just to be clear. Unless someone here on the boards actually works for one of these places, it's all just opinion. Chances are they'd be okay with it but only they have the definite answer. The only hitch you might run into while submitting to different competitions is what if you win them all and they all want to publish your piece? Then again...I'd love that to be the only problem with one of my stories. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.