Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
So, I'm still fairly new to blogging. I'll admit I sure don't have much of a following, yet.
But, I'm surprised at one thing I've noticed. When I see a giveaway, for anything remotely cool, or something I'd read, well, I enter it, no questions asked. Free stuff is awesome, free books, even better than awesome.

I'm currently running a giveaway on my blog for a free E-book by an up and coming author who shares my publisher. I've read the book, even did a review on it a few weeks back, but I'm surprised at the lack of response, as I was with the other e-book giveaway I did a few weeks back.

Are people just not as interested in a free e-book as they would be if it were a physical print copy? I understand not everyone has e-readers, they are still on the pricey side, but heck in my world if I got a book for free, well I'd just read it on my computer.

So, what are your thoughts? E-book giveaway's just not as cool as real print book giveaways? And if you have any suggestions at how to promote giveaways (or blogs in general) that'd be sweet too. Thanks

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
It depends on the ebook. I've seen a lot of exciting contests for an ebook or two.

Without much of a following, and depending on the following of the other author...I'd doubt you'd see too much excitement. Is the author also promoting this give-away? How about the publisher. Doesn't anyone know who the author is?

Take a gander at the blog forum here at AW.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
You don't have a share button on your posts. When I browsing blogs if I come across something I think would interest people who follow me on twitter I would often hit the share button. It's quick and easy, not even necessarily to enter a contest. I'm not as inclined to copy the link, open twitter and tweet something that way as I am to hit a button. It's a missed opportunity for promotion not to have one.

Blogs give away my books sometimes and it often depends on the blog how much interest there is.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It depends on the ebook. I've seen a lot of exciting contests for an ebook or two.

Without much of a following, and depending on the following of the other author...I'd doubt you'd see too much excitement. Is the author also promoting this give-away? How about the publisher. Doesn't anyone know who the author is?

Take a gander at the blog forum here at AW.

Thanks so much, yes, now that I think about it this post might be better suited in that forumn?

The Author is promoting this, as is the publisher, but yes, I suspect you are right, between her and I we don't have a huge following. So that makes sense. I just kind thought more people would enter lol just cause it's a free book :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
How many people have even laid eyes on the contest. In most case I would not expect more than a contest entry per 50 visitors. More if the entry requires answering a question or writing a separate email rather than just a comment

Edited to add: you have to comment, tweet, follow two people and like a facebook page. IMHO, that's too much. I like contests but I only like and follow things that I already... well, like and want to follow. And visitors who don't have a twitter and facebook account are immediately excluded.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Edited to add: you have to comment, tweet, follow two people and like a facebook page. IMHO, that's too much. I like contests but I only like and follow things that I already... well, like and want to follow. And visitors who don't have a twitter and facebook account are immediately excluded.

I got an invite to use Rafflecopter, and that's how they work things, however, the only mandantory thing is to leave a comment on the blog, which is what most every contest requires. The rest of the stuff you can do if you want to, but is not required. It says so, more than onces, the comment is the only thing mandantory for a chance to win. Also, it's not two Twitter peeps, it's one or the other.

I've had well over 200 pages views today, so I suppose, then I am doing pretty good if only one out of every fifty will enter.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I glanced at it I assumed you had to do all four, perhaps others are seeing it the same way.

Last edited:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I glanced at it I assumed you had to do all four, perhaps others are seeing it the same way.

Bingo. Most people don't do more than glance, and if they see a bunch of things to do, they move on--even if they aren't mandatory.

I also second the "share" button.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I've had well over 200 pages views today, so I suppose, then I am doing pretty good if only one out of every fifty will enter.

Not to bust your bubble, but 200 page views do not equate to 200 people reading your blog.

Sad, but true...

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
The thing is, there's a lot of free reading material online. It's easier to visit the Baen Free Library (and other such places) than to bother with ebook giveaways.

I personally would only be interested in such a giveaway if I knew the author. Especially if it's an advanced copy for a book I'm eager to get my hands on. Otherwise, eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.