"Bless you." "That will cost you 25 points" "Oops"

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
A Northern California teacher is at the center of controversy after imposing penalties on his students for saying “bless you” in response to sneezing in his classroom.

Teacher Steve Cuckovich at Will C. Wood high school in Vacaville said the common courtesy is disrespectful and disruptive to classroom activity — but insists the ban has nothing to do with religion.

“When you sneeze, in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body, so they were saying, ‘God bless you’ for getting rid of the evil spirits,” said Cuckovich. “But today, I said, ‘Really what you’re doing doesn’t make any sense anymore’.”
Cuckovich started off the new school year by docking a student 25 points for saying the phrase in response to a sneeze.

I should say that I had a teacher in High School who was like this. I never thought of it as being ant religion, she was just very strict and didn't like anyone speaking in class. She wasn't a fan of expression. Mind you, she was a language arts teacher. And yes, I drove her up a wall. But she didn't deduct points. Just yell at you.

Beyond that, I think this is silly.

ETA: Forgot the link. I blame my sister in law.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...enforces-bless-you-ban-for-classroom-sneezes/

Last edited:

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I'd be curious to know what those points mean. Are they a significant part of a student's final grade? Because, if so, that's absolutely wrong. I think the whole thing is silly, but lowering someone's grade that drastically for something that is common courtesy is wrong. Also, why in the world would we want to be teaching kids these days to have LESS common courtesy? Aren't people in general rude enough as it is, without teaching the next generation to be ruder?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
lol.

either a/ the teacher is nuts

or

b/ (AND FAR MORE LIKELY) the students are doing it to annoy, esp as it's normally a 'legitimate' interruption.

ahh, those hazy, crazy school daze....

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It could be the students, but like I said, my teacher from HS did it on day one. It was a pet peeve of hers. This was way before I annoyed the crap out of her. I didn't get to that for at least 10 or fifteen minutes. The no "Bless You" thing was one of the 1st things out of her mouth.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Are they allowed to say gesundheit?
Wishing someone good health after they sneeze makes sense to me in a modern world (where our evil spirits have settled in for the long haul and aren't going to be dislodged by mere sneezing!).

And if the students aren't allowed to do that either, to my mind it clearly isn't about religion.
Just an ordinary classroom dictatorship.

Last edited:

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I buy that it's not about religion. But it still seems extreme to me. Saying Bless you is a cultural norm. If you train a group of students to fear saying it, then won't people look at them funny when they don't say it elsewhere?

My teacher used to say, "They sneeze, you say 'bless you,' then they say 'thank you' then you say 'you're welcome.' That's a whole conversation that didn't need to take place."

So if someone should trip and fall, can we ask "Are you ok?"

Just sounds like a power trip to me.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I need to call my mom, the former teacher, and thank her for warning me off going into teaching. This type of thing offended students and parents? Jeez, we are fast becoming a nation of babies.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Kids will take any excuse to shout or talk during class. Aside from that, I'd like to point out that the language we use matters.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The school’s principal has stated that the disciplinary measure will not be tolerated.
Seems like a non-issue at this point. He tried it, the principal said "no way."

This just sounds like another story of an asshole with a superiority complex trying to prove he's somehow smarter than everyone else...and just winding up looking like an asshole.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
*rolls eyes*

How stupid. But whatever.

I, myself, make it a point to say "Bless you" when someone in my vacinity sneezes, even if I don't know them. I just think it's the decent, human, polite, kind thing to do.

Whether a teacher wants it quiet in the classroom or not, a student saying "Bless you" after someone sneezes is polite, IMO, and not an interruption.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Kids will take any excuse to shout or talk during class. Aside from that, I'd like to point out that the language we use matters.

This.

In the principal's office, (or in a court of law) an innocent little "angel" of a high school student will defend himself by saying "All I did was say 'bless you' to someone who sneezed." And when you read that on the paper transcript of a court proceeding, or if you read that on the screen of your computer, it seems harmless enough.

But in practice, there are plenty of arrogant, narcissistic kids who will deliberately look for any excuse to be loud and disruptive, and to gain street cred points for making the whole classroom laugh in an inspired moment of impromptu, opportunistic subversion.

The phrase "Excuse me," looks perfectly harmless in writing. But there is a way to utter those words in a certain setting, and with a very specific tone, and when you hear it the intent is unmistakable. The same with "God Bless You." You can say that phrase with an undue, even cartoon-like loudness, and with an exaggerated sing-songy inflection, all meant entirely as the disrespectful shenanigans of an attention whore.

Last edited:

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
When I was in high school, it was usually the sneezer who was disruptive and caused laughter, one type intentionally, the other inadvertantly.

Deliberately disruptive sneeze always from a boy was a loud sound that sounded like "Horse shit."

Unintentional disruptive sneeze, always from a girl, sounded like a squeek.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
This vicious assault on religious freedom was originally picked up by, naturally, a Fox News affiliate.

Well, yeah, but in fairness, that was apparently started by a parent who didn't bother to learn the truth first.

A parent saw the deduction and made a phone call - not to the teacher or the principal or even an elected official, said district Superintendent John Niederkorn.

And that's about when Cuckovich found a local Fox TV news reporter in his classroom asking why he was banning "Bless you."

Adding one incompetent action to another.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What actually happened:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2011/10/01/MNB11LBSGI.DTL

This vicious assault on religious freedom was originally picked up by, naturally, a Fox News affiliate.
That makes MUCH more sense, although I don't know that I agree with docking a student's grades. I object to grades being based on anything besides academic performance (and effort). But I know not everyone agrees, and having a variety of grading practices leads to a variety of classroom experiences, which is all to the good, and besides the point of the article.

His reasons in that article make sense but why didn't he just say that when he was interviewed about it in the OP. He just talked about how antiquated the practice was.
Apparently it was something he said to the students, not to the press, and it was an attempt to reason with them. Which is rather an exercise in futility, I should think. When kids are in a mob-mentality (which it sounds like they were) they're not terribly reasonable. Still. What a weird little episode.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
That makes MUCH more sense, although I don't know that I agree with docking a student's grades. I object to grades being based on anything besides academic performance (and effort).
I agree.

But whether his way of dealing with the situation was right or wrong, it had nothing to do with a supposed attack on religion and Christianity, which is how it was portrayed in much of the conservative blogosphere.

From the article:

Other district teachers have told administrators that the sneezy students in Cuckovich's class did the same thing in middle school, repeatedly disrupting the day's lesson.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree.

But whether his way of dealing with the situation was right or wrong, it had nothing to do with a supposed attack on religion and Christianity, which is how it was portrayed in much of the conservative blogosphere.
Yea, but to a certain section of Conservativeland, it seems like EVERYTHING is portrayed as an attack on (their) religious freedom. Some people just feel the need to always be a "victim" of something or other.

(Yea, I'm feeling a little cynical today. How could you tell? :tongue)

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
"A parent saw the deduction and made a phone call..."

This is where things went spiralling out of control.

Parents rely on teachers not only to educate their kids, but also to provide them with the necessary upbringing which parents themselves are increasingly incapable of giving.

Yet, when something goes wrong, and their kids are punished, they are quick to choose the wrong side and support their kids instead of the person they rely on for a decent upbringing.

Me and my colleagues experience this every now and then. Usually it is the parents that lack most parenting skills, that are the worst complainers.

Sad thing is; everyone loses. Teachers lose standing amongst their students. Parents lose whatever authority they had left over their children. And the children lose, because they fail to learn one of life's important lessons.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
"A parent saw the deduction and made a phone call..."

This is where things went spiralling out of control.

Parents rely on teachers not only to educate their kids, but also to provide them with the necessary upbringing which parents themselves are increasingly incapable of giving.

Yet, when something goes wrong, and their kids are punished, they are quick to choose the wrong side and support their kids instead of the person they rely on for a decent upbringing.

Me and my colleagues experience this every now and then. Usually it is the parents that lack most parenting skills, that are the worst complainers.

Sad thing is; everyone loses. Teachers lose standing amongst their students. Parents lose whatever authority they had left over their children. And the children lose, because they fail to learn one of life's important lessons.

As a rule, I couldn't agree with you more. My wife's a teacher and she's had to deal with this too. One kid did a report where they copied nearly everything in the report from their sources, word for word. There was no question, but the parent didn't want to accept that it was wrong. My wife gave the student a chance to redo the report. The mother said, "But what's wrong with the original report? All the information is in there."

As parents ourselves, we back the teacher if one of our girls gets a bad grade, something that doesn't happen often.

However, we will go speak to a teacher if they aren't being fair. It's has happened. Like once, there was a thing where kids got to be picked for certain jobs. My daughter wasn't allowed to try and get a class job because of a homework assignment the teacher said she didn't hand in. Only she had handed it in. When my daughter told us, (We had checked it the night before so we knew it had been done) my wife spoke to the teacher who went through her folder and found she(the teacher) had put it in the wrong place. However, the jobs had all been filled and she didn't feel that she should have to do anything. I forget, but there was a real reason for her wanting to have one of these jobs.

This was in 2nd or 3rd grade. We had other issues with that same teacher, all along the same thing. We had never had an issue with our daughter before, or since. We feel it was the teacher, who because we made a fuss, decided not to like our daughter.

Another example was how the class was divided into different groups for reading and math. Although they didn't say it, one was for the students better in those subjects, the other in the one where they needed more help. There was a different teacher who was in charge of the kids who needed more help. My daughter, for the first time ever, was placed there. We didn't say anything at first, as the teacher in charge of the second group had told all parents that if they got stronger, she would send them to the other class. By the end of the 1st week, my daughter was sent to the other class in both. Then sent back down again. That happened for several weeks, until we got involved. My kids were both reading books all the time. They are both in advanced classes for math and reading and science. Not only did no other teacher ever think they had an issue, but we received tons of positive feedback that they were always ahead. But this one teacher for one of my girls always thought they needed to be with the "other" teacher.

It was so clear, it was crazy.

So if I heard that my kid had 25 points taken from them for saying God Bless You, yeah, I'd be making a phone call.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
When my daughter told us, (We had checked it the night before so we knew it had been done) my wife spoke to the teacher who went through her folder and found she(the teacher) had put it in the wrong place. However, the jobs had all been filled and she didn't feel that she should have to do anything. I forget, but there was a real reason for her wanting to have one of these jobs.

This was in 2nd or 3rd grade. We had other issues with that same teacher, all along the same thing. We had never had an issue with our daughter before, or since. We feel it was the teacher, who because we made a fuss, decided not to like our daughter.

Ofcourse you are right; there are bad teachers as well as there are bad parents.

I guess teaching has some of the same unwritten rules as parenting.

Teaching and parenting are both like Las Vegas; What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. No parent is perfect, they all make mistakes. Mistakes are inherent to parenting. Save actual crimes, like abuse or neglect, no one cares about these mistakes, because we all make them, and we know it. Children know (or don't know) about their parents mistakes, and might not (or might) agree, but it is expected that the next time their parents make a demand, they listen as if nothing ever happened. Good parenting depends on the Vegas-principle.

Teachers however get far less leeway to make mistakes. Which is somewhat logical as teachers generally teach other people's children. But teaching also relies on the Vegas-principle. A teacher must be free to make mistakes and keep his authority just like parents do.

I make mistakes, although I try to keep them to a minimum. But if I were forced to explain myself to parents every time I made one, teaching would become impossible. I need the parents trust that, although I'm not infallible, I have their childrens interests at the heart of my focus.

Some parents don't get this, or remember their own years at highschool, and their childish attitudes against teachers resurface.

Ah well, some people were never meant to have children, but do so anyway... Strange thing one needs a licence to drive a car...