PDA

View Full Version : Understanding ISBN

Sargentodiaz
09-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Understanding ISBN (http://www.gatekeeperspost.com/uncategorized/understanding-isbn/)

by GATEKEEPERS POST STAFF

[/URL]Let me see if I can shed some light on ISBN (International Standard Book Number) because there seems to be a lot of confusion about this relatively straightforward subject.
I’ve already posted information about ISBN on my FAQ by Joan (http://slingwords.blogspot.com/p/joans-faq.html) page on SlingWords. I’ll add this post to that information also. (See list of pages at the top of the far right sidebar.)
Most of you probably know that I publish on all the popular platforms so I do know something about which I’m talking.
What Writers Need To Know
The International Standard Book Number or ISBN, as it’s popularly called, is a unique numeric commercial book identifier based upon a 9-digit Standard Book Numbering (SBN) code created by Gordon Foster, Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Trinity College, Dublin. The number, which was basically for inventory control, was created in 1966 for booksellers and stationers W.H. Smith as well as others.

<snipped>

mshaw2268
09-29-2011, 10:59 PM
From what I've been looking into, this is one myth that refuses to die.

"1. Print books cannot be stocked without an ISBN, and some digital bookstores, like Apple, will not stock ebooks without an ISBN."

There is no rule written that forbids stocking print books without an ISBN in either a bookstore or library. However, the ISBN is the universally accepted method of cataloging books and there are some extra (non-automated) steps to listing a book without an ISBN, which basically means they will not stock the book, even though they technically could if they chose to.

Whether it's will not or can not, the best bet is to grab that ISBN if you ever want your book stocked in a book store.

CaoPaux
09-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Stop posting whole articles. You are violating others' copyright.

Sargentodiaz
10-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Stop posting whole articles. You are violating others' copyright.

Thanks! I'll be more careful and give links.