PDA

View Full Version : Why is my cover fuzzy?

incognito
09-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I've been uploading my latest novel as an ebook today, but when I check the page created for my book on Smashwords and All Romance, the cover looks all fuzzy.

Does anyone have any idea why?

Here's an example at Smashwords:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/92446

The blue background seems especially blobby. Don't feel I can put it out like that, looks unprofessional. And yet the version on my website looks fine enough.

http://www.elizabethkyne.co.uk/

(sorry for my username, I'll have to get a proper one at some point)

Soccer Mom
09-28-2011, 10:34 PM
The Smashwords link doesn't work anymore.

Can I just say that I love the title and blurb for your book.

Gale Haut
09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Nice cover.

I agree that it looks good on your website.

2 things...

What is the original file size in pixels? And what file size does Smashwords ask for?

Webman33569
09-29-2011, 12:05 AM
It could be from the image being re-sized, just a thought though.

lady_K
09-29-2011, 12:08 AM
love the cover!
Usually blurry means pixels should be adjusted to 300 or higher. Mine did that before and i just changed the dmi. Let me know if that works.

veinglory
09-29-2011, 12:10 AM
I would suggest downsizing the image yourself to be close to the size Smashwords will display it. Automatic downsizing can cause blurring depending on how it is done.

incognito
09-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the reply everyone - I'm fiddling with photoshop now to see what I can do about this and will get back to you.

Sorry about the Smashwords link. It's unpublished at the moment as I make sure everything is correct.

And thanks for the nice words about the blurb too

Gale Haut
09-29-2011, 12:41 AM
I just clicked on the link and it worked.

Gotta say, it looks good now. Whatever you did seems to have worked.

...There are some mild compression issues muddying the title and the blue background, but it's nothing huge.

incognito
09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks all.

I uploaded a png to Smashwords in the end. The compression sure does muddy the blue.

I went back to photoshop and looked at all the settings, including sharpening and fiddled a bit. Don't think it helped much, but I'll sleep on it I think

Gale Haut
09-29-2011, 01:18 AM
like veinglory mentioned, you could still try uploading a smaller size.

Steam&Ink
10-01-2011, 01:48 AM
I see what you mean when I compare your website's thumbnail to the Smashwords thumbnail. But when I enlarge the Smashwords thumbnail (by clicking on it), the picture seems to come out perfectly.

I'm not sure I would have noticed the issue if I were just browsing Smashwords and hadn't had it pointed out.

Serena Casey
10-02-2011, 04:49 AM
It looks like it would work well as a gif - you could get rid of the pixelation that way.