Amazon Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I was interested until I saw another article on The Bookseller about how Amazon want UK and German publishers to give 90% discounts on ebooks for an October promotion. It made me remember how bad a deal that could be for authors (and yet such a good one for Amazon).

I'm not saying that I won't get an ereader at some point but I'm generally a late adopter anyway and Amazon's practices leave a sour taste (not that Apple are any better IMO).

MM

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I admit that the Kindle Touch gives me a bad case of the wants. But there is nothing wrong with my old-school Kindle. I would really like a tablet, but the iPad is out of my price range. And I must have 3G. I can't always get WiFi where I am.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'm going to get the Fire, since Mr. Grr and I both have Ipads already. If not for that, I probably would because I really like it. But I am ordering one of the 3 new Kindles they announced. I can't help it - I'm a junkie for those things. :)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Do want. Don't really need a tablet (my phone does everything a tablet can do), but for $200 I can almost justify a new toy.

Still going to read books on my eInk Kindle, though.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
My husband has the iPad2. He intially bought the 3G service and then cancelled because he so rarely needs it. He travels a lot, but there is free Wifi just about everywhere these days. At home, he's connected to our own wireless network. I don't love the iPad enough to pay $700 for it, or even $400 for a lesser version. But my Kindle is one of the originals and my phone is lousy. With the new Kindle Fire, I could keep my lousy phone and replace my Kindle with this.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Nook. Not having WiFi has helped me with my spending. Since I have to drive somewhere that has WiFi to buy anything.

I mostly buy (or download) things on my computer and sideload them to the Nook.

Love the Nook. Will never change to the Kindle if I can help it.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score

With you there.

I'd rather send my money to a real bookstore.

:D
I do love my Nook, and I like the whole "buying books from a bookstore" idea. ;) I used to love Amazon, but the more it's grown into every consumer category imaginable, the more I find myself inclined to go elsewhere. The Fire does look cool though.

jinkang

Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jinkang.livejournal.com
I used to love Amazon, but the more it's grown into every consumer category imaginable, the more I find myself inclined to go elsewhere. The Fire does look cool though.

Well...they are the 'Walmart' of the eCommerce.

Just read somewhere that the $79 and $149 Kindles have advertising. How much screen real estate does the ad take over, I wonder. Will it interrupt reading as well?

Last edited:

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I live 50 miles from the nearest mall and the nearest book store. I love Amazon.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well...they are the 'Walmart' of the eCommerce.

Just read somewhere that the $79 and $149 Kindles have advertising. How much screen real estate does the ad take over, I wonder. Will it interrupt reading as well?

I've got one of the $114 "w/ads" Kindles. They don't show on the reading screens at all. The ads are screensavers, and there's a small (maybe inch-inch and a half tall) banner add on the menu screen.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

With you there.

I'd rather send my money to a real bookstore.

:D

I do love my Nook, and I like the whole "buying books from a bookstore" idea. ;) I used to love Amazon, but the more it's grown into every consumer category imaginable, the more I find myself inclined to go elsewhere. The Fire does look cool though.

I just wish Nook had 3G. Of course, I am not sure how much I need 3G and how much I want it in case I might need it one day. It sounds dandy to have.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I just don't buy anything with Apple on it, out of pure spite. :p

But I DO want a Fire. I have a Kindle, LOVE it, and Hubby bought it for me for Christmas. I have a Netbook, I have a laptop and a smart phone.

I still want a Fire. And being that my grandmother gave me $200 for my birthday, I think that's what she'll give me. Going to pre-order today. Maybe.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I just wish Nook had 3G. Of course, I am not sure how much I need 3G and how much I want it in case I might need it one day. It sounds dandy to have.

Mine does. It's one of the First Edition models - I believe they're selling them off cheap right now...

;)

Webman33569

Registered
Reaction score
The new Kindle looks great but i still like the iPad better. I owned the Kindle for a couple weeks then returned it because if I'm spending that much on tablet i wanted more from it. That is just my personal opinion i know many people who have and love their kindle.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Well...that's because a Kindle (the old ones) is/was an ereader and an iPad is a tablet. The color Nook is probably the closest competitor to the Fire,not the iPad, and at $50 cheaper than the Nook, it'll undercut a lot of those holiday sales.

No, it doesn't have 3G. Yes, you need to be wi-fi connected to use the Cloud service (not a big problem for me; usually I just want to read), but the Fire is not a replacement for a computer, it's a step up from an ereader, a mini-tablet if you will. It's a multimedia entertainment device that you can check your email and surf the web with. I can access my Netflix account from it and stream movies, or I can get movies from the Amazon store and stream them - which is just cool.

I don't have the $700 for an iPad, and frankly I think Apple is overhyped. But it words for some, so have at it. I think I'll like having it when I'm stuck in a doctor's office, or my kid is bugging me and wants to play Angry Birds. I KNOW I'll like showing it to my students and seeing their eyes light up when I bring up a full color children's book.

It'll work for me, I think. My son's getting my old Kindle, just as soon as I figure out how to get the naughty books off of it.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I have a Kindle, Wi-fi and 3G, Cost me 189 bucks Candian (I did by a fancy case for it, so it was a little cheaper)
And dammit I wish I would have held off, the Fire looks super cool, and some of you comment that it's not got 3G? I swear in the linky provided it said it did. Either way I hardly use it.
But still, I might have to find someone take my Kindle so I can buy the Fire for Christmas...

But secretly of course I hate amazon lol

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
3G is so last year.

I don't see a keyboard in any of the pictures of this thing. What good is it if it doesn't have a keyboard? Then it's not a tablet, just a color Kindle.

I'm also curious if you can't read it in direct sunlight like every other electronic device except the eInk eReaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.