Blue curtains....

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Posted because it is a) relevent and b) true :)

309863_226633187394454_100001433240624_676185_447433836_n.jpg

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody else recall the Tony Shaloub TV series before he did "Monk"? He played a mystery/thriller author with wacky and eccentric friends. His character was fond of saying, "Sometimes a knife is just a knife."

(And the wordplay was wonderful. Better series than "Monk.")

Maryn, who majored in English long enough to see the Venn, then transferred

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I think a lot of dead authors might giggle at the idea of classes teaching how other people interpret their works. I always thought it was like trying your hand at mind reading. :)

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
In some cases it was because they were the author... true story, my father in law was taught English by William Golding (so he says...). But that is rare...

In some cases there may be extra notes about the work but there is also the biographical information which can lead you to conclusions (whether they are true or not). For example, a recent documentary on Jane Austen I watched suggested that one character who was always redesigning the insides of houses was intended as a satire on Prince George who was obsessed with interior design (as the Royal Pavilion proves...). Though apparently not as much of a scathing commentary as her 'dedication' to him which she was apparently commanded to write by royal decree despite hating the man (the sarcasm drips from it...).

But I think the above is sometimes a lesson which needs to be considered that sometimes the curtains are just blue...