Arrgh! Curry's too hot!!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help!!! I've been making curries for years and for some reason this one (Thai green chicken) has gone volcanic. Is there a way to lessen the sting? I'm serving it for dinner tonight....

I've tried a double dose of cocoanut milk. Anything else?

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I've been to indian restaurants where they keep a team of plain yogurt dispensers on standby in case of emergencies. Probably wouldn't do anything to the initial vulcanism, but it might help to minimize casualties.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Thai curries are notoriously spicy... you could try serving it in smaller portions with lots of rice available?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you - we ate it with yoghurt and banana and stuff and we were all Very Polite and said mmm-mmm. Spicy!

And then we drank GALLONS of iced water.

*sigh*

That's the last time I eat. No truly. I'm over the whole food thing.

Grrr

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Water doesn't tend to help lessen the spiciness of foods. Dairy products do, as does coconut milk and sweets. So, after what you've already, I'd finish the meal with something really sweet. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Water doesn't tend to help lessen the spiciness of foods. Dairy products do, as does coconut milk and sweets. So, after what you've already, I'd finish the meal with something really sweet. :)

Thank you. You can come to dinner next curry-day and remind me of that. ;)

Fish and chips. From the shop. Wrapped in newspaper. That's all I'm serving from now on. (with teensy packets of tartare sauce for birthdays and major holidays...)

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
When I make curries too spicy for my audience--they're never too spicy for me--I freeze the leftovers flattened in a bag. Later, when I make more batches of the same curry, I omit the chiles from the paste and instead add broken-off portions of the over-spicy frozen batch.

A friend suggests adding sugar. I agree: it's common to add sugar to spicy dishes to make them tolerable for white folks.

Also, stop drinking water when your mouth is burning. Everyone does that. Bad idea.

Last edited:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Ah, see, I never really have enough curry to go into the freezer. ;)

Also, if you like spicy, you really need to try Sri Lankan curries. Really. :) Or visit and let me feed you. My curries are always spicy. :D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case you think we're totally woosie - we like hot curries too. No really! One of us lived in India for ages and both of us lived on Indian food in Malaysia for years.

This was a totally feral curry. Like - you know - aplocalyptic.

:flamethrower

Like that. ^

It just got away from me.

Last edited:

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
It's curry night at my house tonight :)

Love them. I have to keep them on the mild side for the missus :(

eyah

Registered
Reaction score

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The recipe really looks so hot and also healthy, I love eating curry but not to much, I'm gonna make this recipe this coming sunday, thanks.

Well? How was it? Was it TOO HOT???

If it was - don't drink iced water.

That's good advice.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I believe it's the caseine in the milk -- It bonds to the capsaicin, or however you spell it, the hot stuff in peppers, and helps remove it from your mouth.

I am extra sensitive to capsaicin, and make sure to have lots of milk around when I'm eating even mildly hot food.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
This thread cracked me up - I'm the only one in my family who likes Thai food, because of the spice.

Pure Capsacin is available in many specialty grocery stores. It comes in an eyedropper bottle inside a standard prescription bottle. As long as you put it into a liquid you can stir it around for an even distribution, [or just for fun, put two drops on one piece of popcorn and mix it into the bowl of popcorn to see who washes the dishes.] Since you only use a few drops at a time, it should last a good long while. It's an easy way to spice up just your own bowl of chili. You can also buy dried halepenos (correction, habaneros) and grind them in a spice grinder if the cayenne isn't hot enough.

George, who when he was in Texas commented, "Don't you have anything with more heat?" and when given a bowl of their hottest salsa, ate it with a spoon saying, "That's a nice gazpacho."

Last edited:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Thai food medium hot is anybody else's blistering.
Eh, not entirely.

Tamil Indian (from Tamil Nadu in the south of India) food is hot, as is Sri Lankan food, at least as hot as Thai food, possibly more so. It's hard for me to tell, despite having eaten food from all over the region, simply because the food is so infrequently spicy for me - I have a cast iron system for that sort of thing. It took me until I tried the Bhut Jolokia peppers before finding peppers that were hot for me.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
You can also buy dried halepenos and grind them in a spice grinder if the cayenne isn't hot enough.
Jalapenos aren't that hot at all. They rate at only around 30-35k scoville units if memory serves. The Bhut Jolokia is over a million. Habaneros are somewhere around 300k.

If you want hot, go with a pepper that's hotter than a jalapeno. Or go to an Indian/Asian shop and buy chilli powder (which you westerners call cayenne ;)) there. They probably have several levels of spicy for their chilli powder - the Indian shops in New Zealand certainly did.

Also, in Sri Lankan cooking, we layer the peppers, using both fresh green chillies as well as chilli powder (red), and sometimes adding black pepper as well. In combination, they can knock the spice levels up a bit. :)