15th century emblem/seal

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
The AW musicians came through for me with my old guitar question a month or so ago and now I'm hoping you historians can lend a hand.

This emblem is a perfect image for a project I'm putting together but I can't find out if it is in fact an image taken from "A 15th century wax seal of The Order of the Dragon"

waxsealOotD.jpg

Help me, Wise Ones.

Thank you.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
It's entirely possible it is the personal seal of a member of the order rather than the seal of the order itself.

Trouble is, Dragons are a common heraldic device (like lions) so they appear in so many arms in so many different positions.

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Evidently not, according to the Wikipedia article on the Order as well as (more impressively) Elizabeth Miller's page on it. Evidently the seal or badge of the Order showed the dragon roughly in the same position as the Worm Ouroboros, i.e. swallowing its tail, or with its tail wrapped around the dragon's throat.

I know that one but I kept finding the other one, too but pretty much just as an image with the "wax seal" description.

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
It's entirely possible it is the personal seal of a member of the order rather than the seal of the order itself.

That's what I was thinking. I thought there would be something on the Elizabeth Miller site but I didn't notice anything beyond what David said about the other design.

Edit---I decided to email Elizabeth Miller. Hopefully I'll get some reply.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. That site may come in handy, perhaps not for this. It seems to be only for the UK?

I think it is indeed only for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth - Scotland is separate - in the sense of granting arms - but if you have a query they always seem keen to help if they can. I have always found them to be really helpful.

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Thanks David.

I've just received a reply from Elizabeth Miller and she says that the emblem I posted above is one of at least three variations used for the order.

*here's me being a happy camper*

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I've seen that one floating around on the internet and wondered myself if it were an emblem for the Order, as I've found several variants. Never bothered to ask the experts, though.