Free Speech? College professor's "Firefly" poster removed from his faculty door by campus police

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Free Speech? College professor's "Firefly" poster removed from his faculty door by campus police

I have no words.

http://thefire.org/article/13595.html

The two "objectionable" posters are found below.

BTW, he's a drama professor.

'Firefly' and Anti-Fascism Posters Get Professor Threatened with Criminal Charges on University of Wisconsin Campus

MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 26, 2011

... On September 16, UWS Chief of Police Lisa A. Walter emailed Miller, notifying him that she had removed the poster and that "it is unacceptable to have postings such as this that refer to killing...."

..."the poster can be interpreted as a threat by others and/or could cause those that view it to believe that you are willing/able to carry out actions similar to what is listed." Walter also threatened Miller with criminal charges: "If you choose to repost the article or something similar to it, it will be removed and you could face charges of disorderly conduct."

Later on September 16, Miller placed a new poster on his office door....

...Astoundingly, Walter escalated the absurdity. On September 20, Walter emailed Miller again, stating that her office had removed the poster because it "depicts violence and mentions violence and death." She added that UWS's "threat assessment team," in consultation with the university general counsel's office, had decided to have the poster removed, and that this poster was reasonably expected to "cause a material and/or substantial disruption of school activities and/or be constituted as a threat...."

Here's the first poster that the drama professor hung on his door.

26b8c40790e3595ab554ca3c36ed0676.JPG

Here's the second poster he hung on his door.

dbac1a2bebf5d923fc5a2494b2ecc2f5.JPG

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If kids can watch the Lion King, where a lion is trampled to death, then college students can handle a quote about killing (which is really more about honor if you stop to think about it for more than half-a-second).

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
If kids can watch the Lion King, where a lion is trampled to death, then college students can handle a quote about killing (which is really more about honor if you stop to think about it for more than half-a-second).

Exactly. I actually love that quote from Firefly. And I don't understand the issue with the fascism poster, either, which is actually anti-violence.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? On a college campus? This is considered disruptive. There is plagerism, underage drinking, drug use, fraternity hazing, rapes...and THIS is what the school is concerned about? Talk about messed up priorities.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
or THIS poster?

-I-ll-Get-You-My-Pretty-the-wicked-witch-of-the-west-12823288-640-480.gif

I suddenly have the urge to buy an obscene number of Wizard of Oz and Wicked posters and post them, along with various quotes, all over my dorm room and on my door. It's all your fault.

Back on topic: Um, unless a particular college student is an early starter (i.e. 16 or 17), we're all legally adults and should know the difference between fact and fiction. Even 16-year-olds show know that. Unless there's something else going on here, I would have to say this is just stupid.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? On a college campus? This is considered disruptive. There is plagerism, underage drinking, drug use, fraternity hazing, rapes...and THIS is what the school is concerned about? Talk about messed up priorities.

QFT. You might also want to add the number of pot smokers whose smoke rises up through vents and windows into dorm rooms. Hard to study, sleep, or simply relax when there's pot smoke assaulting your lungs and causing you asthma attacks. This happened to me more than once last year, which was my freshman year of college. And yes, my window was closed. The one time the asthma attack was bad enough that I had to report the strong pot smoke to an RA, the police did NOTHING. The RA called the campus police, who said, "Oh, the wind probably just blew it that way." (My dorm room last year was overlooking the courtyard.) That's all they did.

And besides the pot, the rampant underage drinking of the other residents in my building and the related late-night noise violations were enough to keep me awake at night and made it very difficult to study and finish homework in a timely manner.

All of THAT was disruptive. A stupid @#$%ing poster? That would be the least of my worries.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Wow.

That's pretty fucked up.

I may be unhappy with the general political leaning of my college's majority, but at least they're not that stupid. Given I have friends who have Halloween gangster costumes up on their doors and such.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
And besides the pot, the rampant underage drinking of the other residents in my building and the related late-night noise violations were enough to keep me awake at night and made it very difficult to study and finish homework in a timely manner.

The insufficient ventilation system of your dorm aside (which I don't think can really be blamed on the students, but it smoke was forbidden in general, then I totally agree with you) I'm not sure what that has to do with underage drinking? Wouldn't that have more to do with loud, disruptive students? IMO, their age and state of sobriety is kind of immaterial.

If that was your point, sorry, and ignore me. I just don't think whether a person is underage and drinking matters a fuck when it comes to whether they're being disruptive or should be punished or not.

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what that has to do with underage drinking? Wouldn't that have more to do with loud, disruptive students? IMO, their age and state of sobriety is kind of immaterial.

If that was your point, sorry, and ignore me. I just don't think whether a person is underage and drinking matters a fuck when it comes to whether they're being disruptive or should be punished or not.

Oops. That's what I get for writing posts late at night on little sleep after I've had a bad day. If you're drinking but not being loud, I wouldn't notice. I just noticed that the people I could hear being disruptive sounded drunk. So yes, you're right, disruption is the bigger factor than the drinking.

You are right about the smoke thing, though. Even if pot was legalized here and fell under the same laws as smoking tobacco (not allowed inside at all, must be at least 25 feet away from buildings, including doors and windows), I really don't know how they'd be able to stop the smoke from getting inside through heavy wind (surprise! I live in a nice windy college town!) or very poor ventilation. I don't have a solution to that. It's just hard to be completely understanding of smokers when you're the one who can't breathe.

In other words, you make total sense, and I need to get some sleep. :sleepy:

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score

It seems like this happens a lot in general -- it's like people know there are genuine problems but can't/won't do much about them for some reason, so they get tough on the smallest things, instead. Maybe it gives them a feeling of accomplishment? Maybe they think cracking down on Firefly posters will strike fear in the hearts of people who are actually dangerous?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No one can account for or guard totally against blithering idiocy. It's one of the strongest forces in the universe, ranks right up there with dark energy.

caw

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
If that poster is disruptive, I can't think what they'd do if the professor played the theme song to Firefly loud.

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me

Seditious and treasonous, I'd imagine.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear... You see, we don't have campus police here. We have security guards who sit in a reception area and drink tea and nod at you as you walk out of the building carrying several thousand pounds worth of computer equipment cunningly hidden in plain sight (true story... one of the post docs was taking a university owned computer home because she didn't have one and needed it for working from home, we had a letter from the head of department saying it was ok to take it but they never asked for it - we just walked past carrying a PC tower, keyboard and monitor and loaded it into her car as the security guards watched....). We don't have anything which can be construed as 'police'. If a poster is to be taken down it would be done by someone on the academic staff of a higher grade than the offending person though more likely they would 'have a quiet word' with them about the appropriateness of the poster for a professional setting. But given some of the things I have seen hanging up in university faculty offices, I doubt that would even register on anyone's radar...

I also think this is a case of faculty politics. Someone has shopped him in for it. I doubt anyone would have even noticed it unless it was made obvious to them.

As for modern students... from what I have seen, none of them are doing any of the naughty things I used to do when at university. They all seem very tame by comparison. And I still managed to attend all my lectures and hand in all my assignments on time despite spending all night, most nights, staying up late... though I admit at least 4 of my final year assignments were completed in one night under the auspices of a 24 hour computer suite pass.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A sign of the times. I'm surprised it wasn't the "Aiming to Misbehave" poster. People don't like being reminded that they live in a fascist country...it scares them...so the smart move is to remove the reminders. Everybody's happy, and the only thing we lose is one individual's right to post a poster. That's a win-win for freedom of the collective, right there.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
My theory:

We live in a post-Columbine/post-Virginia Tech/post-Gabby Giffords world.

And again and again, after those kinds of massacres go down, the media always gets hold of all the freaky Facebook pages and YouTube accounts and even the messed up English Lit essays full of death and mayhem that the mentally ill students all fostered for months prior to "the incident." And then the public decides, "There's no way SOMEONE on that campus didn't see this coming!!" And then the lawsuits from grieving parents start rolling in.

So I suspect colleges and universities are trying to prevent the lawsuits from parents who insist: "You should have seen it coming!" So they have enlisted campus security to try and spot "disruptive behavior." Thus that university has developed what is called the "threat assessment team."

But sadly, trying to police craziness means you have to police the insides of people's heads.... which is the same as instituting "the thought police."

Oh what a slippery slope we weave.

Last edited:

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Firefly fanatic. I'm now keen to watch this. Cheers for telling me it isn't allowed campus police! I love the encouragement you have just given me.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Ridiculous. I think some people are just too damn bored for their own good - they need to feel important and start up these crusades to nowhere.