PDA

View Full Version : English to Spanish Translation Needed

Jeanette
09-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Can anyone translate the following into Spanish?

1. This is the last time she'll come down here. No more.

2. wino or drunk

3. liquor store

Thanks!

mickeyDs4
09-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Google Translate will do it for you! It's how I got all my French phrases

backslashbaby
09-28-2011, 02:33 PM

2. wino or drunk

3. liquor store

Thanks!

1. Esta es la ultima (accent on u) vez que ella vendra (accent on a) aqui (on i) abajo. No mas (on the a). Or basta (enough!).

2. un borrachuzo

3. una licoreria (on the last i)

I'm not nearly a native speaker, and it'll also depend on the region you are talking about. So wait for more answers, lol.

I'm not so confident about 'aqui abajo,' particularly. That may be too literal.

melnve
09-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I'd be a bit careful relying on Google translate - it often results in clumsy sentences or words that seem slightly off. The language teachers I work with see kids trying to cheat on their homework with it all the time, and native speakers of the language can often pick it because the sentences just don't read right.

I think Jeanette's being very sensible asking for help from real people! Wish I could help, but I don't speak Spanish.

Jeanette
09-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks so much, everyone!

L.C. Blackwell
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
My grammar's probably off, but I'm thinking, "No vendra mas aqui." Or "No la vendra mas aqui."

There should be accent marks on the "a" in vendra, and on the "i" in aqui, but my fonts aren't set up for that.

Edit: Mas should also have an accent mark on the "a."

Also, for accurate dialogue in novels, don't touch Google Translate with a ten foot pole! It's fine if you're trying to read a web page and can guess your way through the garble-speak, but otherwise the horrors it perpetrates on innocent languages are enough to make a reader blench.

I use it for reading Russian language web pages, and sometimes I want to laugh, and sometimes I want to cry.

L.C. Blackwell
09-30-2011, 03:39 AM
Add to which, you can always contact your community/local college and check with a Spanish instructor to see if any of us are right. :D Most of them will be glad to help you, and quite a few have contact emails on their college's website.

Kaiser-Kun
10-11-2011, 08:17 AM

2. wino or drunk

3. liquor store

Thanks!

1. Esta es la ultima vez que vendrá aquí. No más. (if it's definite, then "Nunca más" (never more).

2. Wine? Vino. Drunk = Ebrio, Borracho (the former's more region-neutral).

3. Licorería.

De nada! :D

maxmordon
10-11-2011, 08:35 AM
1. Esta es la ultima vez que vendrá aquí. No más. (if it's definite, then "Nunca más" (never more).

2. Wine? Vino. Drunk = Ebrio, Borracho (the former's more region-neutral).

3. Licorería.

De nada! :D

I speak Spanish, y yo apruebo este mensaje. :P

Jstwatchin
10-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I'd be a bit careful relying on Google translate - it often results in clumsy sentences or words that seem slightly off. The language teachers I work with see kids trying to cheat on their homework with it all the time, and native speakers of the language can often pick it because the sentences just don't read right.

I think Jeanette's being very sensible asking for help from real people! Wish I could help, but I don't speak Spanish.

I'm a language teacher and google translate is a running joke in my field. Since I like driving home the point with my students early on, I have them put a paragraph (not just a word or sentence) into any online translator, then take the result in the target language and put it through a different online translator. The resulting gibberish will speak volumes.

PS - this just as an aside since it looks like Kaiser already did the actual translating for you.

padnar
10-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I would like to know some curse words like bitch, shit in spanish. I looked though google but now seeing these posts I am a bit worried.pl help and thanks
padma

Kaiser-Kun
10-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I would like to know some curse words like bitch, shit in spanish. I looked though google but now seeing these posts I am a bit worried.pl help and thanks
padma

Ah, such a colorful topic. :P

Bitch: Perra. More commonly used: puta (whore). The masculine puto is a similar insult.

Shit: Mierda. Very common in some countries, but not others. A similar word might be carajo (equivalent to fuck).

Most popular in Mexico: Chingar (fuck) and its variants: chingado (fucked), chingada (fuck it). A common "goddamit" expresion is "Chingada madre!". A very harsh insult is "Chinga tu madre"* (fuck your mother).

*yes, that should grammatically be "chinga a tu madre", but it's been shortened to this in popular language.

backslashbaby
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Did 'aqui abajo' sound strange, y'all? If you get back to this thread :)

padma, I'd give some suggestions but the only ones I'm sure of are either way too regional or too international, as far as I know :)

Kaiser-Kun
10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Did 'aqui abajo' sound strange, y'all? If you get back to this thread :)

The "abajo" is unecessary, unless the place is in a basement or something. :p

backslashbaby
10-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Exactly what I wondered! Thanks :D