NC Gov - Suspend elections for Congress for two years

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Her press office now claims she was engaging in hyperbole. :rolleyes:
"I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that," Perdue said. "You want people who don't worry about the next election."
The reporter at the time didn't think she was joking, and even made note of it in the story.
It's unclear whether Perdue, a Democrat, is serious -- but her tone was level and she asked others to support her on the idea.
But her office stepped in with damage control.
Later Tuesday afternoon, Perdue's office clarified the remarks: "Come on," said spokeswoman Chris Mackey in a statement. "Gov. Perdue was obviously using hyperbole to highlight what we can all agree is a serious problem: Washington politicians who focus on their own election instead of what’s best for the people they serve."

Who's up for suspending elections so our noble leaders can concentrate?

Or how about suspending congress for two years to give us all a break?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Hell why not suspend the US Constitution while we are at it. Let the states govern themselves.
Oh wait, we already fought one war on that point...

Nevermind...

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope she was joking. What a loony idea.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I hope she was joking.

Same here. But would it be fair to say that it really didn't sound like that was the case? At least to me it sounded like she was fairly serious.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My very political NC politician friend is tweeting about the dollar coin and Christie, so I trust that she must have been joking ;)

What makes y'all think she wasn't, just out of curiosity?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ummmmmm . . . we have several prominent commentators here in this very forum that would love this idea.

caw

Why would we need a constitution anyway?...the government will always take care of us in the best possible manner, there's nothing to worry about, let's all go back to sleep...

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Better would be a part-time Congress. Have them work 3 months each year, make them move back to their home districts, live and work like the rest of us.
maybe they'd have a better appreciation of the impact their decisions have on us.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Why would we need a constitution anyway?...the government will always take care of us in the best possible manner, there's nothing to worry about, let's all go back to sleep...

Heh. Exactly.

Nothing to see here. These are not the amendments you're looking for.

Shelley

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
My very political NC politician friend is tweeting about the dollar coin and Christie, so I trust that she must have been joking ;)

What makes y'all think she wasn't, just out of curiosity?
The initial opinion of the reporter in the OP was that she was serious, and the reporter thought her demeanor was noteworthy enough to specifically include it in the story. It wasn't until the late afternoon some talking head "clarified" her position.
Better would be a part-time Congress. Have them work 3 months each year, make them move back to their home districts, live and work like the rest of us.
maybe they'd have a better appreciation of the impact their decisions have on us.
Now we're on to something. Give 'em a dorm and cafeteria while they're in DC, and pay $15,080, which is minimum wage times 40 hours times 52 weeks. We should pay them for the whole year even though they only have to show up for three months, since they'll be ruminating the other nine months on how to make the country better.

I think we should also provide yellow bus service from the dorms to the Capitol instead of private limos, and take attendance every day. Dock 'em for unexcused absences. Make 'em get a hall pass to pee.

But I'm afraid we'll have to make bribery a capital offense for both involved parties. The temptation would be too great, otherwise. And we can award 75% of the captured bribe money to the snitch to make it worthwhile. Other than that, it's a good plan, though. :)
Heh. Exactly.

Nothing to see here. These are not the amendments you're looking for.

Shelley
Gold star for SW reference.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a horrible hypothesis. Most politicians care more about getting reelected than doing their job. They'll even vote in ways they know aren't good in the long run for the sake of appeasing their base. Take away their chance of losing their job and they may actually get some work done, rather than trying to stay with whatever new fad is sweeping their district. And without having to run a campaign, they won't need as much bribe money.

However, in practice, they could just grow even more corrupt and argumentative if they don't have to even try to look like the good guy.