Pan Am

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I haven't seen Terra Nova yet - taped it because I was teaching but I'm wondering - was it as bad as Pan Am??

The jet was to modern, the aisles were too wide, and I couldn't keep the stews apart! Loved the 20-year-old pilot! Oy, I remember being at an airline party in Miami (I worked for NWA) and talking to a Pan Am pilot. He said they needed something like 30 years experience to be in the left seat - a captain. Also - why no headsets in the cockpit! I nearly laughed my butt off. Also thought it was interesting that the stews had suites to overnight in.

I'm predicting this one will die a quick death, but what do I know? I remember watching the first "Charlie's Angels" series and thought it was dumber than a bag of hammers.

Carlene

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspended reality and found it enjoyable. But I did have a hard time with the young captain. I now nothing of air travel in those days (beyond what I read in Coffee, Tea, or Me ) but many things did not seem plausible. And wasn't there too much room in the galleys? And the new stewardess not doing up her seat belt? Bit of a Backdraft moment there.
Must stop while I can still stand behind my comment about it being enjoyable.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty bad. I know a lot of TV pilots are--trying to cram the current storyline, each character's backstory, forward character development and all into a single episode is probably difficult to do well.

But where I thought they really dropped the ball was in utterly failing to capture the feel or spirit of the time and place it was set.

I don't think I'll watch a second episode, as I have no expectation of improvement.

Maryn, who's disappointed in TV more and more

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Even as a kid I suspected that Coffee, Tea or Me was actually written by one or more men fantasizing about what stewardesses' lives were like. It had too many perfect male ideas in it which didn't have any relation to real women's work lives. Like yeah, rain washes out all your hairspray and makeup and then you look better. Uh-huh.

Cough. But I still bet it's more accurate than this.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, the producers have made no compunctions about it playing on the fantasy of air travel and the faux glamour of stewardesses.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Darn it, I missed this show if it's already premiered.

TheWriteWay

Registered
Reaction score
So presumably this doesn't focus on the irritable children, the drunk obnoxious passengers, the people who press the button to call the stewardess every couple of minutes and the horrible microwaved food that is eaten and brought to the passengers who ungratefully accept it.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
It popped up on my hulu screen so I had it playing in the background while I did some school stuff. I enjoyed the colors they used.

I don't know any logistics about flying. But yes, the aisles seemed really wide. I mean, when I walk down an airplane aisle, my hips and thighs get a beating.

I would watch another episode, and maybe one more. I like Christina Ricci, which earns the show a second look.

Lastly, I don't mind airplane food.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Whether they show it or not, they have to blow up smaller settings from the past because they can't get the cameras in there. The Apollo 13 in Apollo 13 was way expanded from the original dimensions just to make filming possible.

And it's been in all the press coverage that the pilot is supposed to be younger than normal and it's a big deal that he's in the position, so they didn't make an ignorant goof....they chose it for the story.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except that there are plenty of people like me who don't follow entertainment news and therefore had no idea. They need to have mentioned that for the people whose sole exposure is the show itself.

Maryn, all meh