PDA

View Full Version : Bent Masses - Call for Submissions ($10- Short Fiction $5- Flash Fiction)

slicing_angel2003
09-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Bent Masses has become a paying market. We are looking for submissions for the next several issues. We accept sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and surreal fiction. At this time we are looking for short stories under 6k words, flash fiction under 1k words, and poetry. Our payments are below.

Short Stories - $10
Flash Fiction - $5
Poetry - $2

I know the pay is not great, but we are still in our first year. Please, please see our submissions page (http://bentmasses.com/Submissions.html) for more details on how to submit. Payments will be made upon publication.

Kayletta
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I submitted a short and had a reply within a couple days. Fast and very professional :)

slicing_angel2003
10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
I thought I would bump the thread instead of starting a new one. Bent Masses is now accepting fiction stories for its first Twist the Season issue coming this Dec. I'd love to see some stories that have something to do with the holidays. Zombie reindeer, exploding Christmas trees, questing to bring someone home for Yule. These types of stories that really Twist the Season are what I'm looking for. Submissions for this issue close Nov 30. Thanks everyone.

Also, thanks Kayletta.

Laurathewriter
10-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Hmm, twisted holiday stories - I love it!

Deizelcore
10-20-2011, 12:06 AM
I submitted a short and had a reply within a couple days. Fast and very professional

I've done the same but am yet to get any form of answer.

A couple of days, really? That's insane.

slicing_angel2003
10-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Hello, and thanks for the posts. I'm working on all the submissions I've received so far. Authors who submitted work before the Twist the Seasons announcement was made are being considered for the Nov issue. They should all hear something by Friday night.

Good writing!

Deizelcore
10-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

alexshvartsman
10-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Are you accepting non-holiday themed submissions, or should those wait until next month?

slicing_angel2003
10-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Non-holiday submissions are welcome. There may be a longer wait for a reply to these, however. Thanks.

alexshvartsman
10-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Thanks for a quick response, sent something your way :)

Silver-Midnight
11-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Do you have to pay a fee to submit a story?

Angela
11-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Silver-Midnight, you should never have to pay anything to a publisher to submit a story. If someone tries to make you pay THEM to look at your story, then I don't think that's a market you want to handle your story.

There are some contests out there that have entry fees, and most of those are legit, but publishers should NEVER request a fee to look at your work, or to edit it. Yes, professional editing companies exist and they're going to charge fees, but they're not publishers. They don't publish the stories, they only edit them so you can submit them to publishers. And no, you don't have to go out and hire a professional editing company just so you can submit a story to a publisher. You can edit your work yourself, and if you're worried that you've missed something, get a few beta readers. You can find them in the beta readers thread here on AW or you can go to the forum that deals with the genre you write in and see if a regular from that forum would be a beta (someone who writes in your genre usually has a better grasp of what's going on in that genre than someone who usually writes or reads in a different one.).

Since you seem to be new to publishing, the best advice I can give you is:

ALWAYS research your market. When you find a publisher you think you'd be interested in submitting to, make sure you know what they're looking for. ALWAYS follow their submission guidelines. If they tell you to copy and paste the story in the body of your email, do it. Don't send the story as an attachment. Most publishers won't even bother sending you an email to ask you to paste it in the email, they'll simply reject you and move on to the next author trying to get their attention.

Once again, the publisher pays YOU. :D

alexshvartsman
11-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Once again, the publisher pays YOU. :D

This.

The only thing I would add is that you should visit duotrope.com - it is the best resource for researching markets to submit your stories to. And, of course, consider submitting to the sites/magazines that you already read. This way you will have a pretty good idea of what they're looking for.

Kimber
11-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I love a good prompt. And twisted holidays intrigue me. Now, do I have time for it? Hmmm...

slicing_angel2003
12-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the great submissions. Submissions for Twist the Season are now closed. I will be getting back with people over the next week about their stories. For submissions not in the Twist the Season I will try to get back to you before the end of this month.

Silver-Midnight: No you do not have to pay anything to submit a piece, and while some places do charge a reading fee I don't feel this is profitable to the author. Places that do this will normally offer a lot of editing advice, and you can find that in friends, family, and fellow writers. Not meaning to put down any webzine or magazine that does charge this fee, but I would much rather offer a little advice for free if it helps someone become a better writer.

padnar
12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Do you accept plays ? I have written a fantasy play and I would like to know if you accept it.

Deizelcore
12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Do you accept plays ? I have written a fantasy play and I would like to know if you accept it.

Their submission guidelines (http://bentmasses.com/Submissions.html) clearly state what kind of literature they accept.

strandedhero
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity! Thanks for posting about it.

mirandashell
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
For a flash piece, do I submit in the body of the email or as an attachment?

slicing_angel2003
12-06-2011, 10:53 PM
You can submit it either way. I need to state something like that on the submissions page, but I keep forgetting. Happy writing!

mirandashell
12-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Ok. I have a short story for you but it needs a bit of a clean first.

plaidearthworm
12-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Can't wait to find out if I made the cut for "Twist the Season!"

Motley
12-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Just wanted to add that they respond with a yes or no quickly and also pay promptly through PayPal. A very nice experience all around.

alexshvartsman
12-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Just wanted to add that they respond with a yes or no quickly and also pay promptly through PayPal. A very nice experience all around.

How quickly? :) I sent something to them over 2 months ago but haven't heard back yet.

alexshvartsman
12-29-2011, 07:34 AM
How quickly? :) I sent something to them over 2 months ago but haven't heard back yet.

...aaand just as I posted this, I heard from the editor the same evening, letting me know that my submission will appear in the January issue :)

slicing_angel2003
12-29-2011, 06:51 PM
The delay was due to the holidays and the Twist the Season issue. I normally go through submissions at the end of the month. The reason for this is that Bent Masses is not paying for itself yet, and I have to keep up with paying work to make sure I have enough to pay writers for their work.

Happy New Year everyone!

Motley
12-30-2011, 04:25 AM
(Posted as Slicing Angel was posting. As I figured, due to the holiday.)

They responded to me within 5 days, but it was for the holiday edition, so perhaps they had to rush. I was paid the day my story appeared on the site.

Congrats on your acceptance. :)

alexshvartsman
12-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Oh, I wasn't complaining. Just wanted to compare notes, since Bent Masses isn't on Duotrope yet, so there isn't much response data yet.

Speaking of which, you *really* might want to get listed on www.duotrope.com in order to receive lots more quality submissions. :)

Happy New Year!