Pay-By-Race Bake Sale by UC Berkeley Republicans

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's right, a bake sale where your race and gender determine the price you pay for an item:
During the sale, scheduled for Tuesday, baked goods will be sold to white men for $2, Asian men for $1.50, Latino men for $1, black men for 75 cents and Native American men for 25 cents. All women will get 25 cents off those prices.
Now that's an interesting pricing structure. As a white man always looking for a discount, I'd look for friendly a nearby minority who would buy something for me, and I'd be willing to pay as much as half the difference between their price and my price, so I could get a discount and they could make some money. A black woman could buy a baked good for 50 cents, and I would buy it from her for $1.25.

By my calculations, a Native American woman could get baked good for free. This could make for a remarkable economic condition where she could resell these at ANY price, undercutting the prices to all other subgroups while still making money. As an armchair economist I'm wondering what would happen if several Native American women set up shop by the Berkeley Republicans student group bake sale. How fast would the Republicans run out of stock?

But the Berkeley Republicans claim they're not the only ones with race-and-gender-based policies on campus!
"We agree that the event is inherently racist, but that is the point," BCR President Shawn Lewis wrote in response to upheaval over the bake sale. "It is no more racist than giving an individual an advantage in college admissions based solely on their race (or) gender."

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to remember John Stossel organizing a similar bake sale, awhile back. So this is nothing new, I think. Although IIRC at Stossel's bake sale, Asians had to pay the most, out of everyone.

In any case, it's kind of a silly stunt, imo, regardless of whether the politics involved make sense.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see a picture of the Berkley Republican club. We could make a drinking game out of it. Every time you see a pretentious blond white kid, take a shot.

Anyone wanna get ****** up tonight?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think the idea is that it's a protest against affirmative action. Hence the different prices for different groups.
Exactly. It's meant to be satirical. Its also stupid and obnoxious, and the mostly left wing student body got into an uproar about it, terming it insensitive and hurtful.

UC Berkeley student senators voted Sunday to condemn discriminatory behavior on campus - even if done in satire - in response to a Republican student group's plans for an "Increase Diversity Bake Sale," with pastries labeled according to race and gender.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/25/BACG1L9CP3.DTL#ixzz1Z6qkmBfl

I think they should have just ignored them.

Mharvey said:
I'd love to see a picture of the Berkley Republican club. We could make a drinking game out of it. Every time you see a pretentious blond white kid, take a shot.

They were interviewed on the local news. In appearance, they looked like badly cast stereotypes.

However the treasurer of the group has a Hispanic (Peruvian, I believe) surname -- Loyaza

Francisco Loyaza IV, to be exact.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Corrective policies are critical in addressing long-term wealth inequalities. Get over it, GOP kids. You have enough advantages in life already.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Some things that might seem mildy amusing as a written analogy should never be brought to physical fruition. Dumb, dumb, dumb. What rc said.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Although IIRC at Stossel's bake sale, Asians had to pay the most, out of everyone.

I was surprised they didn't set it up this way, especially at UC Berkeley. The student body is always at least 40% Asian, IIRC. Some of my relatives in CA say it would be even higher, but the affirmative action policies act as a cap on Asians. I don't know if that's true, though.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Corrective policies are critical in addressing long-term wealth inequalities. Get over it, GOP kids. You have enough advantages in life already.

I agree!

Course, I was musing that it might shut the idiots up if we just made the criteria a socio-economic classification, rather than a racial one.

But then they'd bitch about class warfare or something...

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

Corrective policies? Sounds a bit Khmer Rouge.

Some of us believe the best "corrective policy" for injustice is justice -- not an equal and opposite injustice.

But I'm not sure why you're calling on "GOP kids" to pay up; the bake sale discriminated on the basis of race and gender, not political affiliation. Black Republicans got to pay less than White Democrats.

And I haven't even asked you yet where you get the idea that GOP kids have a long-term wealth advantage over Democrat kids.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
They were interviewed on the local news. In appearance, they looked like badly cast stereotypes.

However the treasurer of the group has a Hispanic (Peruvian, I believe) surname -- Loyaza

Francisco Loyaza IV, to be exact.

I'm impressed. That's one shot we all can't take. :)

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
This whole event sings a sweet, sweet melody to the little passive-aggressive smart-alec devil on my shoulder.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's stupid, but I don't care. I'm stocking up on my 25¢ baked goods, bitches! :e2headban

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Corrective policies? Sounds a bit Khmer Rouge.

Some of us believe the best "corrective policy" for injustice is justice -- not an equal and opposite injustice.

Some of us agree the best "corrective policy" for injustice is justice and that the remedies to injustice are not remotely equal or opposite injustices.

Affirmative action is not close to the injustice that segregation was. Sorry if some smart-ass Republican brats think it is.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

I think it's possible for something which is just in societal terms to be unjust at the level of individuals. It may be possible to analyse a lot of current political controversies as a difference of opinion about which ought to have priority.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I think it's possible for something which is just in societal terms to be unjust at the level of individuals. It may be possible to analyse a lot of current political controversies as a difference of opinion about which ought to have priority.

That's true. But I think that's not the objection, rather what Miss Plum and others find offensive is the notion that some people (or groups) are allowed to discriminate on the basis of the color of someone's skin while it is unconstitutional for others to do so.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think it's possible for something which is just in societal terms to be unjust at the level of individuals.
Which is why I support individual rights but not group rights. The U.S. Bill of Rights, incidentally, is dedicated to individual rights. This group rights crap is an artifact behemoth of liberal social engineers.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
When I glanced at the pricing poster on TV before hearing who ran it, I seriously thought someone was doing a bake sale based on wages (for the same job) to pricing.

I do have a question about the gender thing and college admissions. Aren't colleges having a hard time finding enough qualified men these days to go if they keep the same standards they used to use? I've read that many colleges accept more male applicants regardless* of merit nowadays because they are male, to keep the numbers from swinging too female, frankly.

I understand that colleges may want to give men every chance and my phrasing above is a bit harsh. I don't know how I feel about those policies, honestly. It gets into the whole boys-reading thing and other problems that do need to be addressed, imho.

eta* - let me say the merit thing better. In order to ensure adequate representation, colleges I've read about are including boys with lower test scores, etc. than they accept from female applicants.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I do have a question about the gender thing and college admissions. Aren't colleges having a hard time finding enough qualified men these days to go if they keep the same standards they used to use? I've read that many colleges accept more male applicants regardless* of merit nowadays because they are male, to keep the numbers from swinging too female, frankly.

This probably wouldn't sound so weird to me if I weren't in a mathematical/computational science.