PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Park, London

Orianna2000
09-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Anyone from London? I need to know what sort of fence surrounds Richmond park in Roehampton. I looked at Google Maps' satellite images and can see that there is some kind of fence, and it looks to be covered with ivy. Beyond that, I can't tell. If it matters, I need the fence that lies between the golf course and the Alton estates, at the southeast corner of the park.

Thanks!

Becca_H
09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Richmond Park's boundary is mostly walled, but there's the occasional set of railings. It's about eight feet tall.

Fun but irrelevant fact: Houses that back on to Richmond Park are liable to the deer tax (it has a proper name) to cover the cost of the occasional escaped deer. This was set up by King James I (I think) and hasn't been abolished.

Orianna2000
09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
What kind of wall, though? Brick? Stone? Concrete blocks? Chain-link fence? I have a character running through the park, trying to escape something that's chasing her, and I need to find a way for her to slip past the wall and into the council estate that's just beyond the golf course. I'm really hoping for chain-link, so she can find a tear or gap in it. If it's something more sturdy, I don't know how she's going to escape.

zahra
09-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Can't remember, but if it's nice tomorrow, as it promises to be, I might go and have a look for you, as I'm not far from it.

Orianna2000
09-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Can't remember, but if it's nice tomorrow, as it promises to be, I might go and have a look for you, as I'm not far from it.
That would be great! Thank you. :)

Becca_H
09-26-2011, 09:42 PM
What kind of wall, though? Brick? Stone? Concrete blocks? Chain-link fence? I have a character running through the park, trying to escape something that's chasing her, and I need to find a way for her to slip past the wall and into the council estate that's just beyond the golf course. I'm really hoping for chain-link, so she can find a tear or gap in it. If it's something more sturdy, I don't know how she's going to escape.

The wall is made of red brick. The railings are cast iron and black.

Sorry, can't be too specific as I don't live there. Just driven past it several times.

Orianna2000
09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
The wall is made of red brick. The railings are cast iron and black.

Sorry, can't be too specific as I don't live there. Just driven past it several times.
Okay, thanks.

Orianna2000
09-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the MC to the other side of this 8' brick wall.

According to the satellite map of the area, there is a small path that leads through the council estate and ends right at the park wall, by the golf course. Any idea if there's a gate there? Maybe a small pedestrian or maintenance gate? Alternatively, is there any kind of culvert or storm drain pipe that she could crawl through?

I wish I could fly to London and explore the area myself, but that's a bit out of my budget right now. :(

Fallen
09-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Ori, if you're struggling, hun, why not just have a section being repaired? You could have it borded up?

edit: I've seen chain fences that are slipped into a concrete base (usually to keep people out of restricted areas).

Becca_H
09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Ori, if you're struggling, hun, why not just have a section being repaired? You could have it borded up?

This seems feasible. I mean, you don't have to be that accurate. Even the people I know who live near Richmond don't know the answers 100%.

What's actually chasing her? Perhaps a bit of an extreme idea, but the deer can get quite aggressive at certain times of the year. One of them could turn on the aggressor which in turn buys your MC some time.

Remember as well, they only close the park at night. During the day there's access for traffic and pedestrians.

Lillie
09-26-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't know the area at all, but try looking on google maps.

Try Minstead Gardens, where the road loops up close to the golf course.
Then zoom in to the fence.

It looks, to me, that it's an iron fence no more than waist high. I could get over it. Might be a bit tricky with the spikes on the tops of the iron rails, but yeah, I could get over if I had too.
Especially with a bit of help from one of the trees. Search 24 Minstead Gardens SW15, That's where you see the railings.
Here. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?pq=richmond+park&hl=en&sugexp=pfwc&cp=24&gs_id=1x&xhr=t&q=24+minstead+gardens+sw15&gl=uk&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=645&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48760ec2772bb973:0xf34a01d242c397b2,24+Min stead+Gardens,+Wandsworth,+Greater+London+SW15+4&gl=uk&ei=fM2ATuWGNqLC0QWd--DSCQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA
Click the street view, and you'll see.

Also Minstead Gardens has a lot of sheltered housing, so if you were connecting this with the old couple you mentioned in your previous thread, they could live there quite easily.
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/200093/supported_and_sheltered_housing/128/sheltered_housing_schemes/17

Obviously I don't really know, but that's how it looks to me.
If someone who knows the area tells you differently then go with what they say.

Orianna2000
09-27-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't know the area at all, but try looking on google maps.
I tried both Google maps and Bing maps, but the street view didn't get close enough to the park fence for me to see what kind it was at the spot she's at. I looked at the address you provided, however, and if it's the same kind of fence further down, then she'd have no problem. I was panicking because someone else said it was an 8' brick wall, and that would be impossible to get over. But these little iron fences are easy. Almost too easy, in fact.

I mean, you don't have to be that accurate. Even the people I know who live near Richmond don't know the answers 100%.This is true, but I wasn't sure how well-known the area was. I didn't want to write it wrong, and then have hordes of ticked-off Londoners pounding on my door, crying foul. :tongue

What's actually chasing her? Perhaps a bit of an extreme idea, but the deer can get quite aggressive at certain times of the year. One of them could turn on the aggressor which in turn buys your MC some time.She's being chased by an alien who thinks she's partly responsible for killing its mate. It's six foot tall and has 10 inch claws. Can't run very fast, but it can track well and is persistent. I've established that it puts off predatory vibes, because the birds stop singing, and it has a stench like rotted blood. I don't know how deer would react to that, but I could see it being distracted by the deer, like maybe the deer cross her path and interfere with her scent trail.

Lillie
09-27-2011, 01:37 AM
I tried both Google maps and Bing maps, but the street view didn't get close enough to the park fence for me to see what kind it was at the spot she's at. I looked at the address you provided, however, and if it's the same kind of fence further down, then she'd have no problem. I was panicking because someone else said it was an 8' brick wall, and that would be impossible to get over. But these little iron fences are easy. Almost too easy, in fact.

Where I could see it further down it was an 8 foot wall. Nothing I could climb.

Some fascinating stuff round there. A little ruined building with doric columns behind the community centre. And a convent.

And some of the most horrible flats I've ever seen.
Shouldn't they all get pulled down and reasonable housing put up?

waylander
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
re: the dangers of deer in London parks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15077514