Fiction books that would give this world a bad name.

evila_elf

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Doing some research for my next NaNo novel.

Basically, we have been wiped out and a new group of people/creatures has taken our place (this will be a fantasy YA book, if that makes any difference). The only thing that remains of our 'history' are several books. Only they aren't nonfiction, but regular fiction books that are mistaken to real life stuff.

The books need to be ones that most people would at least know the subject/recognize the titles.

I was thinking Planet of the Apes or Animal Farm, though I have not read either. Does Animal Farm paint humans badly? or does it just have animals in it?

Don't need books about wars (as that is not a new concept to these people), but more like the whole planet is jacked up and deserved to be destroyed. Maybe even some scifi stuff, so this collection of books can be gathered from the same person (and so our society seems way more advanced than it was).

Umm...does that make sense to anyone? :D

TLPhillps

Registered
Reaction score
Wait what? You want to write about a civilization where they emulate what they read in fiction books?

evila_elf

Registered
Reaction score
Wait what? You want to write about a civilization where they emulate what they read in fiction books?

Guess more details are needed.

They are recolonizing the Earth from a few survivors left here. Several hundred years pass, so the generations don't know much of what happened, and then some books are found. These books are looked upon as the 'history' of the past generations that were wiped out. They know nothing of how the people really were except for the books. They aren't trying to recreate anything.

As with just about every group of people, there are going to be wars and battles fought, so what is in the books they find need to be more...shock value.

Does that make more sense?

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Animal Farm has very little to do with humans as far as the plot is concerned (outside of the whole metaphor, of course). Taken on a literary level, it's a book against pigs.

The first fiction book that gives this world a bad name that sprung to my mind is Mein Kampf, actually.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
The Bible (especially Old Testament) paints a pretty grim picture of humanity.

But you probably don't want to go there.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The Gor books by Norman.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read her, but I know the genre a little. How does she apply?

The books of hers I'm familiar with are a very 70's-80's view of the world, with all the subtle and not-so-subtle -isms that our culture has grown out of since then--plus lots of sex.

Interesting take on a world you're rebuilding, isn't it?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely look up some dystopians.

Imagine if a future generation thought the Hunger Games were a real past fixture, or that zombies had infected the planet with a disease to make the dead walk and gorge on brains. The Handmaid's Tale would be another good one.

Throw in some Dickens or other poverty-heavy books about sad, downtrodden orphans.

Diet books or those about exercise crazes could be scary if people assumed they were the norm for food intake and activity.

Alice in Wonderland could freak someone out, if they didn't know it was fiction. Ditto Lord of the Rings, if they took it as an actual account of history.

Lord of the Flies

Dracula, Frankenstein, the Invisible Man, (basically anything monster related)

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
1984, The Time Machine (with Morlocks), Barbara Hambly's Darwath Trilogy - (most of humanity wiped out - very dark).

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Lord of the Flies, The Postman, The Road, Misery, Blindness and Stranger in a Strange Land.

Those are a few off the top of my head.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Animal Farm has very little to do with humans as far as the plot is concerned (outside of the whole metaphor, of course). Taken on a literary level, it's a book against pigs.
Taken on a literal level, it's against pigs. On a literary level, it's against communism.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what novels have you read that you thought depicted the worst sides of humanity? I'd use those. That said, the apathy portrayed in Fahrenheit 451, which is way too real to begin with, spooks me.

Lastly, please read whatever books you decide to reference. Focusing a story around someone interpreting Animal Farm as real, for instance, if you've never read Animal Farm is putting far more work on yourself than is necessary.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
American Psycho

evila_elf

Registered
Reaction score
Well, what novels have you read that you thought depicted the worst sides of humanity? I'd use those. That said, the apathy portrayed in Fahrenheit 451, which is way too real to begin with, spooks me.

Lastly, please read whatever books you decide to reference. Focusing a story around someone interpreting Animal Farm as real, for instance, if you've never read Animal Farm is putting far more work on yourself than is necessary.

Only thing is, most of the books I have read aren't too well known. I want to try as much as possible to keep the reader from having to look up whatever books I use.

I don't plan on getting too heavy with the descriptions of the books in the story. But the new race of people have developed these bad feelings toward the people who came before them because of all these things they have read.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions of titles! I hadn't been really planning on doing fantasy ie Tolkien, but now I am getting an idea for it...

Planning stories is fun, ne?

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Can they be more realistic books? How about something like The Grapes of Wrath? It paints a very unflattering picture of a quite small area -- they might assume the whole planet was like that.

Uncle Tom's Cabin, too. Depends how badly misled you want your characters to be.

evila_elf

Registered
Reaction score
Can they be more realistic books? How about something like The Grapes of Wrath? It paints a very unflattering picture of a quite small area -- they might assume the whole planet was like that.

Uncle Tom's Cabin, too. Depends how badly misled you want your characters to be.

I was originally going to go for more realistic books. But this new society is going to have some level of magic going on, so if I use fantasy books, that could have led to them mastering how to do some of this stuff.

So many choices.... :D

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I can't remeber who wrote it, but there was a small series about a diplomat on a planet where the "intelligent" species believes everything that it reads. An eearly expedition left some westerns, so when the main character crash landed there, he met some characters herding animals and tryinf to wipe out the other intelligent species , a bunch of nasty reptiles.

As a general matter, you could select any genre of fiction as the thing that would corrupt the returnees. If someone doesn't know, then the fiction becomes fact. I knew a guy from Niger who was afraid that he would be shot as soon as he landed in the U.D., because he had seen and read crime fiction. If you are going for humor, then have them take to Romances. If you are going for tradegy, the use crime fiction.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the Gor books. And 1984 would be a whole lot more unpleasant to emulate than Animal Farm.

You are going to have to read whatever you use, though, and probably before you do too much of the planning. And (you'll hate me for this, given what a timewaster it is) maybe go look at one of those "tropes" websites and see what it is that's considered a memorable stereotype now? That might be most likely to be what someone in the future would pick up on.