PDA

View Full Version : Contagion

Plot Device
09-26-2011, 05:56 AM
I can't believe there's no thread on this movie yet (and I did search just now).

I just got back from seeing it. Very grown up film. Very realistic.

jamesn65
09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
In some ways, those were my biggest complaints. It was almost too withdrawn for me. Too distant. I never really felt for any of the characters. I applaud the use of science and the (seeming... I'm no expert) accuracy of it all, but there were definitely times I felt like I should be watching the movie in school rather than the theater. I still enjoyed it, but it's not one I'll probably ever watch again.

shawkins
09-26-2011, 10:24 PM
I loved it too. I kept waiting for them to ruin it with a car chase or something, but they were grown-ups all the way through. One of my favorites of the year.

Cecile
09-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I haven't had a chance to see this movie yet, but I'm dying to. It seems like it would work.

katiemac
09-26-2011, 11:01 PM
It's very well-made and the cast is, of course, excellent. I thought Jennifer Ehle was particularly good.

I didn't entirely care for it, though. There are a lot of films this year I've liked more.

Shadow_Ferret
09-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Hasn't this movie been done like 100 times already? Disease comes along that starts killing everyone and they have to come up with a cure? Wasn't Dustin Hoffman in one?

Dommo
09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
I think what was interesting, was how nuts the world was getting when something like 1 in every 40 were dying (they said in the movie that 1 in 12 were infected and the disease killed 30% of those infected). That said, that's still a huge number of people (out of the 300 million americans, 7.5 million died), relatively speaking. I think it's fascinating how, even a deadly epidemic like that, even with it killing a shit load of people, it wasn't going to wipe us out. I think that's a bit more realistic than most types of epidemics that are portrayed in movies.

Smish
09-27-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, honestly. I liked it. But I agree the person up-thread who said they didn't really connect with the characters. And for me to love a movie, I need great characters to care about.

It was good, though. I saw it last night and when my friend asked what I thought, my response was, "I'm scheduling a flu shot this week." ;)

TheWriteWay
09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I haven't watched this yet. To be honest the cast looks like it will make it unbearable for me. Normally Gwyneth Paltrow or Jude Law or Bryan Cranston being in anything just on their own makes me turn it off but all three...No I don't think I could handle it. I like Soderbergh though.

katiemac
09-27-2011, 07:29 PM
I haven't watched this yet. To be honest the cast looks like it will make it unbearable for me. Normally Gwyneth Paltrow or Jude Law or Bryan Cranston being in anything just on their own makes me turn it off but all three...No I don't think I could handle it. I like Soderbergh though.

Gwyneth is barely in it. Bryan Cranston (although how you could dislike the man baffles me ;)) also has a small part. Jude's character is supposed to be unlikeable.

bkendall
10-01-2011, 05:43 AM
I saw this movie when it first came out, but like always, I'm late to add to the thread. I didn't like it much at all. It was realistic, but that doesn't always equal a good story/movie to me. It was realistic in that there wasn't some government plot behind the outbreak using it as bio warfare. I'm not sure the way they did the movie was the correct way to break from the norm. Like a few others said upthread, I didn't feel any emotional connection to the MCs. The Matt Damon character didn't even seem to care that his wife was cheating on him. I can't believe this movie was listed as a horror movie. That was a big surprise to me. I don't think I'll ever watch it again. But, then again, I don't watch too many movies over and over again. Cursed with an eidetic memory.

bkendall
10-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Hasn't this movie been done like 100 times already? Disease comes along that starts killing everyone and they have to come up with a cure? Wasn't Dustin Hoffman in one?

Ditto.

mario_c
10-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Apocalyptic plague movies are a minor theme in sci-fi, from Andromeda Strain to Outbreak (that was the Dustin Hoffman one). This is one more. :D This got points for being about the individual characters dealing with the nastiness and growing panic, though there are some short scenes of looting and chaos. The opening is very creepy, as the first victims make their way into the world.
I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, as that's not the point, but I was fascinated by it.

emmawhy
11-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I can't wait to see it, is it better than other films like it - or does the mix of POV's/too many characters distract you?

ReFreeze
11-24-2011, 04:32 AM
I dunno... haven't seen it yet. As soon as it streams on NetFlix I'll watch it. It just seems to be a 'Panic' film and I dislike those types{in the extreme}.

I do have a slight background in genetics and biological sciences, so I'll let ya know what I think.