"Aw, geez, Joe and CorningWare again."

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Yeah, but this time, I promise it's really, really cool and something you can do in your own kitchen.

While emptying the dishwasher, I happened to hold a small CorningWare Pyroceram dish up to the light coming in through the kitchen window. The inside bottom glowed with an amber hue, exactly the same hue as VISIONS amber cookware. Curious, I rounded up various white vitreous cookware and bakeware, and substituted a bright white LED flashlight for the sun.

Clockwise from the upper right burner: CorningWare SimplyLite Vitrelle baking dish, white Pyrex "Colonial" dish, CorningWare French White Pyroceram casserole (among the last made in the USA by Corning, Inc.), and CorningWare Pyroceram 1.5L dish (made in France for World Kitchen, Inc.).

With the flashlight switched on to full brightness, I carefully balanced each piece over the lens. The results: surprising and perhaps a way to test if an unmarked dish or casserole is stovetop safe.

The Pyrex and SimplyLite, which aren't stovetop-safe, don't change the color of the flashlight. The French- and USA-made Pyroceram produce the amber VISIONS hue. Both pieces were made in the same time periods as VISIONS, which might explain why a pre-VISIONS CorningWare pie plate is completely opaque. Apparently, as the glass is heat tempered it changes from colorless to clear amber, then white with a translucent amber core, and finally opaque.

Just to be safe, don't put an opaque piece on the stove if you're not 100% certain it's genuine CorningWare Pyroceram. It might look like CorningWare but it might really be glazed terra cotta which won't have an unglazed firing ring.

Try it yourself! And post pictures! :)

6183343984_af60bdf18d_o.jpg

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use mine on the stove top. I just have the circa 1972 casserole set with cornflowers.

Joe, do you have a table range? They were around in '76-'77, maybe longer. Like a 1 burner flat top that came with its own pan/lid. It wasn't just a warmer, but an actual cooking device (kind of an upscale hot plate). During that time period I was "between opportunities" and got an under the table job doing demo work in stores. One of the things I demoed was the table range, and I got to keep it. Have probably used it twice since. I have no idea if it still works, but if you want it, it's yours. I'm trying to clear things out of my house. I don't want to end up in an episode of "Hoarders".

MM

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Fun experiment!

Question: would you recommend the SimplyLite bakeware for oven use? I've been considering getting one for casseroles, but I'm a little hesitant after reading the warnings about "no quick temperature changes".

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must confess that while the experiment is way cool, I'm totally impressed with how clean your stove is!

Maryn, slovenly

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use mine on the stove top. I just have the circa 1972 casserole set with cornflowers.

Joe, do you have a table range? . . .
MM
Not yet but I'm tempted.

Fun experiment!

Question: would you recommend the SimplyLite bakeware for oven use?
If you've never had Pyrex break from heat abuse, you obviously know how to take care of it so go ahead and get some. It's made from the same stuff as Corelle dishes so it washes up beautifully.

I must confess that while the experiment is way cool, I'm totally impressed with how clean your stove is!

Maryn, slovenly
Aw, shucks, ma'am.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Corningware should probably be giving you an honourarium for being such a good ambassador for them. Or at least free samples of upcoming lines.

All but one of my pots/pans/casseroles are metal. I think the one exception is Corningware.

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Corningware should probably be giving you an honourarium for being such a good ambassador for them. Or at least free samples of upcoming lines.

All but one of my pots/pans/casseroles are metal. I think the one exception is Corningware.
Cathy's uncle is a digital photographer and videographer. We might have him over to tape a pilot for a Food Network or Cooking Channel show called The Kitchen Geek: Everything in Your Kitchen Has a Story to Tell.

We might be able to interest World Kitchen in sponsoring it. Heck, they could reuse the soundtrack from this TV commercial and replace the video with their USA Pyroceram product lineup.

Dream big, eh? ;)

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What do you have to lose by trying? You could become the Next Big Thing on the tube, then we can all smugly say, "We knew him before he got famous!"

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really think Joe should have his own show on either the Food Network or The Cooking Channel. :)