Steampunk research books

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Basically, my WIP is set in a steampunk-ish society due to the way the society's technology has developed. The issue I'm having is that I don't really known that much in the way of steampunk... anything. Well, anything outsides how it looks, which is what drew me to the concept.

I'm heading down my local library tomorrow afternoon and was thinking I could use the opportunity to look up some information on steampunk in literature.

So does anyone have any good books I could look into? They can be either factual books on how it works and is used, or just novels that use and display it effectively.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Affinity Bridge by George Mann is a recent steampunk novel

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I purposely avoided learning too much about steampunk while writing my novel so I wouldn't feel constricted by the ideas of others. It worked for me, 'cause I have rep, and we're going to publishers next week.

Make the ideas grand, as long as you fit the general theme of steampunk the fans will read your stuff. There are no hard and fast rules as to what fits within the genre and what doesn't.

But, if you want to do research you could look at my blog. The Steampunk Tribune is a good general net resource, and for forums you can visit the steampunk writer's guild or the steampunk empire.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Buy lots of books about Victorian England, then extrapolate on how things would work with some of the more fanciful technology in place.