PDA

View Full Version : How to make eleventy bajillion monkeydollars writing ebooks. Or something.

aruna
09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Just thought I'd share!

I wonder how many Daily Mail readers are going to join the self-published hosts?

‘The phrase “vanity publishing” was almost certainly invented by traditional publishers years ago in order to squash the competition from entrepreneurial authors,’ says self-publisher John Locke who, between January and May this year, has sold more than 1.1 million e-books.

But the advent of electronic self-publishing has opened up a whole new range of opportunities to writers who thought their dream of getting a book published would never come to fruition.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2040044/Kindle-How-make-million-writing-e-book.html#ixzz1YwjPVbCn

scarletpeaches
09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, it's a Daily Mail article -- worrovit? :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2040044/Kindle-How-make-million-writing-e-book.html

seun
09-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Dear Daily Mail, how I hate you. Let me count the ways...

BunnyMaz
09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Oh ye gods.

gothicangel
09-25-2011, 03:07 PM
:scared:

Are those John Locke jackets for real? I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!

seun
09-25-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't know. The leggy one caught my eye.

And is it me or is the Romance section of the pie a little small?

Prisoner24601
09-25-2011, 03:35 PM
And is it me or is the Romance section of the pie a little small?

Yeah it does seem really small. And the mysteries and thrillers sections seems overly huge. Interesting now the genre numbers break down though.

aruna
09-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey! You stole my thread!!!!! (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225683)(But your title is eleventymillion times better)

Margarita Skies
09-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Perdon? No entendi nada.

I'm sorry? I understood nothing. :nothing

bearilou
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't know. The leggy one caught my eye.

It was the chicken that got my attention.

....priorities, I guess.

ChaosTitan
09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I couldn't even read the whole article. Yeesh. Just the quote aruna posted from John Locke had me rolling my eyes at how uninformed he is about different aspects of the publishing industry that aren't self-e-pub.

scarletpeaches
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Bah, I did steal your thread, aruna -- many apologies. You were up and about before me so yep, the early bird catches the Daily Mailworm. :D

Phaeal
09-25-2011, 05:41 PM
The chicken is a KFC bucket full of win.

My fav piece of advice from the article: "Proofread your work." Oh rly?

Soccer Mom
09-25-2011, 05:49 PM
I made with the merge button. You now have one thread. I kept the monkeydollars. Just cause...

scarletpeaches
09-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Monkeydollars is made of win. #truth

bearilou
09-25-2011, 05:55 PM
The chicken is a KFC bucket full of win.

My fav piece of advice from the article: "Proofread your work." Oh rly?

I love chickens. Well, not real life ones. They are nasty, mean, vile creatures.

Unless they are smothered in 11 herbs and spices. And their eggs. There's nothing like a fresh egg, not one of those tasteless ones you get in the grocery store.

But I am a little fascinated with them. I have all the chicken pets in WoW! When I raid, I whip out my lucky chicken!

So the one with the chicken on the cover would induce me to buy it. I mean...a chicken on a leash, how cool is that?

Maybe I just like the way the word sounds when you say it.

Chicken!

aruna
09-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Monkeydollars is made of win. #truth

Me wanting monkeydollars!!! Eleventytrillion! Squeeee!

leahzero
09-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I look forward to the day when every single person on earth has published an ebook and we are all millionaires. It's really going to be great.

Alessandra Kelley
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM
That woman on the cover of "Now and Then" looks like her neck's broken.

And truly? "Vanity Publishing" was a pejorative invented by "traditional" publishers to shame entrepreneurs, rather than a warning to innocent and na´ve would-be authors about predators and sharks waiting to fleece them? (oo, mixed metaphor there)

AmsterdamAssassin
09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
That woman on the cover of "Now and Then" looks like her neck's broken.

It's a zombie novel. Don't you see the craving for human flesh in her eyes? ;)

Phaeal
09-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I think Mr. Locke's target audience is guys with a feather fetish.

Wow, I didn't know there were so many of us, er, that is, THEM....

Libbie
09-25-2011, 10:22 PM
1.1 million in five months? Somehow I doubt the veracity of those numbers.

aruna
09-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Newcomers to this thread: in case you didn't get it, that beautiful thread title is the brainchild of the brilliant Scarlettpeaches, not mine!
Credit where credit's due, and all that.

Diana_Rajchel
09-25-2011, 10:37 PM
I think the book covers are appalling, but there are bits and pieces here and there that do ring true to the self-publishing experience. Mileage may well vary.

Old Hack
09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Diana, the problem is that a lot of the conclusions in that article are based on fallacy; and many of the statistics and information given about trade publishing are just not true. Which means the whole thing is unsafe.

I long to read balanced, thoughtful articles about this. But I guess I want too much.

Alitriona
09-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of the self-publish ra-ra club waving their pompoms in my face and telling me I'm doing it all wrong or I'm in league with the devil for actually wanting to work with publishers.

So many can't see beyond the figures rolled out by articles like this to the real facts and harsh realities of all forms of publishing.

shelleyo
09-26-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm getting pretty tired of the self-publish ra-ra club waving their pompoms in my face and telling me I'm doing it all wrong or I'm in league with the devil for actually wanting to work with publishers.

So many can't see beyond the figures rolled out by articles like this to the real facts and harsh realities of all forms of publishing.

I'm tired of it, too. I'm also tired of the negativity on the trade publishing side. As someone who wants to do both, for different reasons, I'm pretty chagrined by the whole discussion, everywhere, all the time. There are happy mediums, but nobody seems to want to talk about those.

I think my favorite part of this is Locke's quote about the term vanity publishing being coined to discourage entrepreneurial writers, followed later by him pointing out how a vanity publishing company tried to screw him over for money, and how much money it kept costing him to try to do this wonderful entrepreneurial thing that trade publishing junkies had tried so to malign.

*sigh*

Shelley

waylander
09-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Diana, the problem is that a lot of the conclusions in that article are based on fallacy; and many of the statistics and information given about trade publishing are just not true. Which means the whole thing is unsafe.

I long to read balanced, thoughtful articles about this. But I guess I want too much.

You're expecting balanced and thoughtful from The Daily Mail?!

Friendly Frog
09-26-2011, 01:35 AM
If there are monkeydollars, is it possible to exchange them for great apedollars?

Libbie
09-26-2011, 01:43 AM

Count me in with the "tired of it" crowd...and I self-published one of my books! I think the in-your-faceness of so many SP advocates is really off-putting, especially since many of them are sharing false information (probably not on purpose...a myth gets touted as truth enough times and nobody thinks to fact-check it anymore.) Traditional publishing still seems like the smartest, sanest, most time-saving route to me. I'm a big fan of traditional pub.

Serena Casey
09-26-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm tired of it, too. I'm also tired of the negativity on the trade publishing side. As someone who wants to do both, for different reasons, I'm pretty chagrined by the whole discussion, everywhere, all the time. There are happy mediums, but nobody seems to want to talk about those.

I second that. Why everything has to be black or white all the time I'll never know. There are advantages/disadvantages to both and different strokes for different folks and all that. (Not saying anyone in this thread is being black and white, just making a general observation.) That said, the article is so tipsy I thought it was tongue in cheek at first. Sheesh.

BigWords
09-26-2011, 04:28 AM
"The Daily Mail - Britain's Funniest Comic Book."

I'm going to go sit in the corner, weeping as I rock back and forth.

Old Hack
09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
You're expecting balanced and thoughtful from The Daily Mail?!

Yes, I am. Because I've written for the Daily Mail so I know it's possible.

(I know. I know. I should stop being so very hopeful about these things but there you go.)

aruna
09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Count me in with the "tired of it" crowd...and I self-published one of my books! I think the in-your-faceness of so many SP advocates is really off-putting, especially since many of them are sharing false information (probably not on purpose...a myth gets touted as truth enough times and nobody thinks to fact-check it anymore.) Traditional publishing still seems like the smartest, sanest, most time-saving route to me. I'm a big fan of traditional pub.

Same here; and I've actually got a book I'd be willing to self-publish, which I think would do well with some promotion. The only thing holding me back is the jacket design, which I can't afford at the moment. (I have the right image; but I know zip about design or fonts.)

"The Daily Mail - Britain's Funniest Comic Book."

I'm going to go sit in the corner, weeping as I rock back and forth.

Its entertainment value is my daily snack.

Yet now and then one does find little nuggets buried within -- I found one such yesterday.

aruna
09-26-2011, 12:29 PM
The comments to that article are heavily censored and allow very few critical opinions to go through. Three comments I wrote were not posted; lots of ra-ra comments do. And most critical comments are gaining heaps of red arrows.
Look forward to an army of new Daily Mail authors.

C.H. Valentino
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
I read "Saving Rachel" by Locke a few month ago. (Bought ScarletPeaches "By the Book" at the same time)

I read Scarlet's entire book. I quit Locke after nine chapters (their short - less than 1000 words each)

As for the numbers of sales, I don't know. He was number one on the Kindle list - I keep seeing advertisements all over the web for his stuff. I spent 99 cents and learned a valuable lesson. There is a reason he's publishing in this format.

KTC
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
"Who is John Locke?" ~Ayn Rand

wait. that's not right. oops. wrong thread.

seun
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Why everything has to be black or white all the time I'll never know. There are advantages/disadvantages to both and different strokes for different folks and all that.

It's a lot easier for people to see things as purely black or white. It means less thought/debate.

I can see the book titles now. Mr Smith and the Brown People; How the Muslims Stole Christmas; Johnny Has Two Dads (and they're going to Hell).

JimmyB27
09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Do you think it would be overly mean to post a link to PA in the comments...?

Torgo
09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Obviously I can't click the link (it is the Daily Mail after all, whose website is more trolling/linkbait than anything else) but BWAHAHA 'vanity was invented to squash entrepreneurial authors'. What an absolute crock.

Manuel Royal
09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm just glad to find that John Locke is still writing, 'cause I thought he died in 1704. Whatever his diet is, he should write a book about that; guaranteed best-seller.

1.1 million in five months? Somehow I doubt the veracity of those numbers.How dare you, Madam?

scarletpeaches
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
How dare you, Madam?Did you throw down your gauntlet as you said that?

Soccer Mom
09-26-2011, 05:44 PM
My biggest problem with the self-publishing saves teh worlds brigade is the focus on numbers. The articles all talk about how to get your book out there and how to get folks to download you and who sold how much to whom for what. Very little is ever mentioned of the quality. Very little is mentioned about how to improve as a writer, about attention to the craft. I think this article spent an entire paragraph on writing skills. They just dismiss the the art of writing with a glib "Oh and don't write a sucky book and pay someone to fix yer grammer." The article mention how most people aren't ready until they've written several books, but then just moves right on to "so you write your book and now you..."

djf881
09-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Yes, it's a Daily Mail article -- worrovit? :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2040044/Kindle-How-make-million-writing-e-book.html

That dude used a quote from a rejection letter as a blurb on his cover. This tells me everything I need to know about him.

shelleyo
09-27-2011, 01:51 AM
That dude used a quote from a rejection letter as a blurb on his cover. This tells me everything I need to know about him.

I thought that was interesting, too! He must have asked for permission to do that, which makes it even more interesting.

"You rejected this, but can I put what you said on the cover?"

Shelley

BenPanced
09-27-2011, 02:01 AM
My biggest problem with the self-publishing saves teh worlds brigade is the focus on numbers. The articles all talk about how to get your book out there and how to get folks to download you and who sold how much to whom for what. Very little is ever mentioned of the quality. Very little is mentioned about how to improve as a writer, about attention to the craft. I think this article spent an entire paragraph on writing skills. They just dismiss the the art of writing with a glib "Oh and don't write a sucky book and pay someone to fix yer grammer." The article mention how most people aren't ready until they've written several books, but then just moves right on to "so you write your book and now you..."

Or how the newspaper left out "...on Amazon" when they mentioned "e-books outsell hardcopy 2 to 1!"

aruna
09-27-2011, 02:38 AM
In the comment I wrote which they chose not to post, I said that no-one expects to be accepted into an orchestra just because they can play the flute or the violin. Why do they expect to find a publisher just because they can string a sentence together correctly???
I said that the rejection process is part of the training that a professional author must go through.

It seems that logic was too much for the DM editors.

BenPanced
09-27-2011, 02:46 AM
Well...consider the source...:Shrug:

Manuel Royal
09-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Well, this is stupid:
Self-publishing was the only route I considered. I never tried to interest a literary agent or publisher. I saw no reason why a publisher would take on an unknown author without experience or sales.Don't publishers do that all the time -- if, that is, the unknown author has written something worth publishing?

AmsterdamAssassin
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, I don't think Locke is that stupid - he is 58, has been an entrepeneur his whole life in a variety of businesses, and wanted to publish his work his way. I think I read somewhere that he regarded the 'get a trade publisher'-process [submitting, waiting, being rejected, submitting again] to be a waste of time and it was never his goal to be trade published.

Libbie
09-28-2011, 08:15 AM
As for the numbers of sales, I don't know. He was number one on the Kindle list - I keep seeing advertisements all over the web for his stuff. I spent 99 cents and learned a valuable lesson. There is a reason he's publishing in this format.

Advertisements can be bought (and, in fact, are) and there are ways to put one's self on the bestseller lists that aren't exactly legitimate. I'm not accusing John Locke of any kind of intentional sales rank trickery; I'm just saying to approach stuff like that with skepticism. Especially if his work didn't seem like bestseller material to you.

Libbie
09-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Wait...if self-publishing was the only route he ever considered, how did he get the rejection letter to use as a blurb on his cover?

shelleyo
09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Wait...if self-publishing was the only route he ever considered, how did he get the rejection letter to use as a blurb on his cover?

Locke's not the one who did that. The author of the article did.

Shelley

ShyWriter
09-28-2011, 11:53 PM
From his covers I'm gonna take a huge leap here and say John Locke is a leg man...

I've read some self-published e-books on my iphone and after a few omg-what-the-hell-am-I-reading? moments I am unlikely to do so again. I felt like I was wading through a slushpile, which I do not have the time for. This is what mainstream publishing is for, so others like me don't get jaded by other people's crap and therefore overlook the hidden gems that may exist. After my experience as a reader with these kind of e-books I am all for the "gatekeepers" - they deserve a cookie.

C.H. Valentino
09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Advertisements can be bought (and, in fact, are) and there are ways to put one's self on the bestseller lists that aren't exactly legitimate. I'm not accusing John Locke of any kind of intentional sales rank trickery; I'm just saying to approach stuff like that with skepticism. Especially if his work didn't seem like bestseller material to you.

Right. I understand they can be bought. I wanted to throw up there that I read it, and that indeed, the marketing did not match the material. Don't think if it had been more than 99 cents I would have done this, but I figured a buck was worth it to satisfy my curiosity. Just my two.

fireluxlou
10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
So the Sam Ripley book quote is fake?

Ever-conscious of sales and marketing, I decided to add the ‘twisted gem’ quote from Kate Miciak at Bantam Delacorte, to give the book an extra boost. I then saved this image and uploaded it back on to my computer. The whole process – concept, photography and design – took something like two hours.

that is from a rejection letter?

Alessandra Kelley
10-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Right. I understand they can be bought. I wanted to throw up there that I read it, and that indeed, the marketing did not match the material. Don't think if it had been more than 99 cents I would have done this, but I figured a buck was worth it to satisfy my curiosity. Just my two.

You're a brave person, C. H., and you've done us all a service.

Torgo
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Well, this is stupid:Don't publishers do that all the time -- if, that is, the unknown author has written something worth publishing?

Yes. We've bought four or five debut YA novels in the last six months.