PDA

View Full Version : werewolves job

doomwdfortune
09-25-2011, 04:12 AM
looking for suggestions on what job my werewolf should have to help get the creative juices flowing
my were wolf is a bit of a loner and shes antisocial has a bit of a temper hand has been on her own for a wile so she has problems trusting

Snick
09-25-2011, 05:39 AM
The werewolves that I have known were night watchmen, but I understand that some work for criminals as knee-breakers and similar.

Wicked
09-25-2011, 06:15 AM
My answer would depend on what type of werewolf your character is.

Is she self aware in wolf form, or does the monster completely take over mind and body?
Can she change at will, or is it a strict phase of the moon kind of thing?

If I were an uncontrollable monster, I'd pick a job that was not only isolated, but I could feel relatively confident that I was locked away from the unsuspecting world, and they were locked out. Maybe night shift security at a factory with lots of security gates and high fences.
Accountant, photographer, journalist, Artist, Writer:D, any of those could work too, since they could work relatively solo, and perhaps have their own place of business.

On the other hand, if I was in control of my faculties, and could use the animal senses to my advantage, I'd go for something like Park Ranger, or Border Patrol.

L.C. Blackwell
09-25-2011, 07:02 AM
On the other hand, if I was in control of my faculties, and could use the animal senses to my advantage, I'd go for something like Park Ranger, or Border Patrol.

You know, I'm not into paranormal, but as a story idea, a border patrol werewolf officer would be awesome.

:)

Alessandra Kelley
09-25-2011, 04:15 PM
There was a National Geographic article a few years back where a Montana sheep rancher explicitly said he wouldn't care if his neighbor turned into a wolf and ate sheep as long as he ate his own sheep and left his neighbors' sheep alone.

C.J.Lindsay
09-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Being a lumberjack or a long-distance truck driver might work - both would give potential for being alone, and excuses to get out into the wilds.

BySharonNelson
09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I grew up in Central Oregon and I am not sure if they still do this but they used to have these towers way out in the woods where rangers would live and watch for wild fires. I believe they still do this and that would be a perfect place for a werewolf. The only hitch I could see is that I don't think the towers are occupied in the winter normally but there is no reason she would have to leave in the winter. Also she would have to go into town for supplies occasionally so that would allow for social interaction.

blacbird
09-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Hedge fund manager. Then he could go out once a month and rip somebody off.

caw

Williebee
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Maybe take a look at what you need the character to do, and let that determine what job the character has? Let the werewolf aspect be secondary?

Or, maybe make him a dog walker. (Hey, you want irony, irony we gots.)

Chase
09-26-2011, 02:02 AM
In my creative dissertation published in grad school, "Annie's Moon," a story in Montana Stereoscope: Twelve Tall Tales, the voyeuristic werewolf got himself a job as a beautiful blind woman's seeing-eye dog. Free room and never bored.

Rufus Coppertop
09-26-2011, 11:51 AM
THAT is just marvellous! :D

C.H. Valentino
09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
A butcher.

Steve Collins
09-26-2011, 05:50 PM
How about working in a Pet Shop?

KimJo
09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
The werewolves in the urban fantasy series I'm working on tend to have normal jobs; they only have to shift to wolf form on the night of the full moon, though they're able to shift the rest of the time, so accidentally changing at work isn't a huge issue. They do tend to avoid jobs that would cause them a lot of stress or anger, since strong emotions can sometimes trigger an unintentional shift. On the other hand, one of them is a high school teacher and another is a Child Protective Services worker... They also avoid jobs that would bring them into frequent contact with injured humans.

leon66a
09-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm curious why a lot of people suggested night jobs. I would thin a werewolf would want a day job.

I always thought you could mine a lot of stories out of a toll-booth operator. Although a lot of those jobs are being automated. Maybe that's a problem, though. Even werewolves are at risk of being downsized due to technology.

VTwriter
09-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Lighthouse keeper