Anyone know about interrogation??

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of interrogation? Police, military, CIA? It's all going to be different.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The CIA or Military terminology would be great, but honestly I'd love to know all the terms just in case one fits better for the background of the interrogator.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
You might find it helpful to provide some more information swhibs. Your question is really very general and doesn't give folks much place to start.

What is the background of the interrogator you're writing?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm looking for a term that a ex interrogator, someone trained by army, FBI, CIA, MI6 (some other acronymed branch of the government - any government, doesn't have to be USA) would use.

In my book the guy has flipped sides. He teaches terrorists counter-interrogation techniques. I want the MC to get a glimpse of the fact that this guy has a background based on the language he uses to describe the people he interrogates.

A term or expression, something like how a con man might use "a mark" to describe their next victim.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I can't remember why it was, but some guy who was a military interrogator wrote a book abou it within the last gew years. He worked at Gitmo and other place where the military or CIA held alleged terrorists. He has been interviewed on NPR. He was one of the ones who was a long time pro and did not use torture. He actually got useful information.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
One of the technical terms is "subject." (see, e.g., Essentials of the Reid Technique: Criminal Interrogations and Confessions)

I don't know about slang or jargon, which is what I imagine you're looking for.

armydillo978

Banned
Reaction score
One of my friends from the military was a foreign language "translator" and they called the individuals they'd interrogated "subjects" and that was years ago. I imagine it hasn't changed much.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
The documentary Taxi to the Dark Side has quite a bit about interrogators & their subjects. I believe the term used in Afghanistan is "puc" for "person under control."

Obviously their might be any kind of jargon depending on the service & time frame. Algeria in 1960? France in 1942? CIA? KGB? NYPD? Kempeitai?