OTC inhalers to be phased out to protect ozone layer

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
See a doctor if necessary before December 31.
Asthma patients who rely on over-the-counter inhalers will need to switch to prescription-only alternatives as part of the federal government's latest attempt to protect the Earth's atmosphere.
The action is part of an agreement signed by the U.S. and other nations to stop using substances that deplete the ozone layer, a region in the atmosphere that helps block harmful ultraviolet rays from the Sun.

But the switch to a greener inhaler will cost consumers more. Epinephrine inhalers are available via online retailers for around $20, whereas the alternatives, which contain the drug albuterol, range from $30 to $60.
Oh, and they left out the additional cost of the doctor visits to get scripts.

This public service and economic stimulus brought to you by FedGov, the UN, pharmacutical corporations, and the American Medical Association.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I didn't even know OTC inhalers existed (I have mild-and-getting-milder asthma). Do they actually even work? As I said, I have mild asthma, and sometimes even the prescription inhaler specifically tailored for me doesn't help entirely. I have to feel a bit skeptical about a generic OTC option. But then again, I've never heard of them before and don't know anyone who has ever used one, so I really don't know.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed this information to my son, who uses an inhaler. Here is his reply:

"I'm surprised it took so long for the OTC one.
I have the prescription inhaler and it changed to the Cfc free version four years ago. It became four times as expensive and worked half as well. Thank you government for sacrificing my ability to breathe for the sake of the ozone. What would we do without them."

Need I say more?

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Inhaled epinephrine (Primatene and other brands) can actually be quite dangerous, more so than related prescription asthma inhalers (so-called beta-agonists).

This is a good thing to ban for safety reasons. It's been OTC for so long because it was more or less grandfathered.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The aerosol inhalers have always been generally ineffective for me. The powder-pulls (like Symbicort) have been multiple times more effective and prevent any need for a rush to the doctor.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
yeah. I have to agree with your son. the Cfc free is a different delivery, and it FEELS like a lesser 'hit'.

for a asthmatic user, FEEL = REALITY.

but 4 times the price. insane. no price change here.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
The aerosol inhalers have always been generally ineffective for me. The powder-pulls (like Symbicort) have been multiple times more effective and prevent any need for a rush to the doctor.

Symbicort (and similar Advair) are actually combinations of a long-acting steroid and a long-acting beta agonist. They are intended to be used in a different way than simple, shorter acting beta agonists like albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil, many others)

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Symbicort (and similar Advair) are actually combinations of a long-acting steroid and a long-acting beta agonist. They are intended to be used in a different way than simple, shorter acting beta agonists like albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil, many others)

So, If I got this right, it's meant as a slow onset medication and the albuterol are meant as quick-fixer-uppers?

Reaction score
Weird. Been coughing and phlegmy for about 3 years.

Tried primatine mist many times.

Worthless.

Saw doc on Thursday. Said I'm mildly asthmatic. Gave my Pulmicort Flexhaler. In two days, can already tell the difference.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Weird. Been coughing and phlegmy for about 3 years.

Tried primatine mist many times.

Worthless.

Saw doc on Thursday. Said I'm mildly asthmatic. Gave my Pulmicort Flexhaler. In two days, can already tell the difference.

yup. most likely asthmatic so. you're 'lucky' it came when the technology is so much improved.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
It's ridiculous that they're framing this in terms of protecting the ozone layer. Give me a freaking break. Yes, let's blame those damn asthma sufferers for depleting the ozone while they narrowly avoid death, and let businesses continue to spew away.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
So, If I got this right, it's meant as a slow onset medication and the albuterol are meant as quick-fixer-uppers?
its role is to suppress possible flare ups before they become critical or troublesome. very effective, very good news for asthmatics. (until they discover the downside. :)) and yes, it's as you say

Last edited:

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty ironical....they're blaming the vaporizing ozone layer on the folks who are having trouble breathing.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com

Yep, that's a good way to put it. Inhaled steroids treat inflammation of the airways. They take several days to achieve maximal effect. They are not intended to treat sudden, immediate symptoms. Rather, they're intended to keep control of the situation (which is why they're called "control" rather than "rescue" meds).

Beta-agonists, the successors to Primatene, work by an entirely different mechanism: they relax the smooth muscle that is constricting the airways and reducing airflow.

Combining a steroid with a long-acting beta agonist into drugs like Symbicort and Advair is designed to give long-acting, daily control.

If you break through with wheezing while on one of the control agents, the shorter acting beta agonist albuterol (Proventil, Ventolin, many others -- rescue agents) is used to regain control. For a milder asthmatic, this drug alone is enough -- use it only when you have symptoms. Or, if you have exercise-induced asthma, just before exercise.

We also have other asthma meds that work by yet other mechanisms. Singulair inhibits inflammation by another mechanism than steroids (it inhibits mediators called leukotrienes). Like inhaled steroids, it takes a few days to work and should be taken every day. Atrovent is an inhaled drug that blocks mucous production and keeps the airways cleaner. It can be used acutely.

So we've got an assortment of asthma drugs that work in different ways. We've come a long way since I first started treating severe asthma 30 years ago. Our drugs then (much like OTC Primatene) were much blunter instruments, didn't work as well, and were more dangerous.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I had heard the OTC ones were dangerous to be OTC. Didn't model Nikki Taylor's sister die from using them?

Ironically, given the OP, the only thing that really bothers my breathing enough to use them is medium or higher level ozone days. I have a problem with ground-level ozone, apparently. That's from the breaking down of the ozone layer, no? (I'm not completely sure).

We get high ozone days all the time where I live in the summer. I can't argue against fixing that, but I'm not sure how much these OTC meds contribute and other important info.

I can certainly say I'm all for protecting the ozone layer, for asthmatics more than for most people. The kids can't even go outside around here so many days in the summer :(

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
On the whole Singulair thingy CG, have you received any feedback re its 'groggy the next day' observation?

If you cant say, that's fine

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
On the whole Singulair thingy CG, have you received any feedback re its 'groggy the next day' observation?

If you cant say, that's fine

I've not heard that. But I treat children, who may not realize what's going on. It is often suggested that Singulair be taken at bedtime.

Since I'm an ICU doc, my experience with asthmatics is mostly in the more severe ones, the ones who often are on multiple drugs.

Primatene -- simple adrenaline/epinephrine -- can cause major side-effects, particularly in anybody who has coronary heart disease or high blood pressure. The overdoses happen because somebody is short of breath, takes some, still feels tight, takes some more, and so on.

What the beta-agonists do is to greatly reduce the so-called alpha-agonist component of epinephrine. That's the part that constricts blood vessels and increases the heart rate. Albuterol still has some effect on these things, but not nearly as much.

Last edited:

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
A little history on this subject.

Yes folks. This all began with that world famous commie, Ronald Reagan. And the terrorist loving George W. Bush pushed the final ban through.
sarcasm.gif

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
The whole "banning Primatene is yet another example of stupid government regulations" theme of this thread is wrong anyway. Prescription inhalers also used to have CFC as the propellant, but they changed to another agent some years ago (called HFA). I assume nothing would have prevented the makers of Primatene from doing that, although I don't know that for sure. I'm glad they chose not to, because I think Primatene is essentially an unsafe drug.

So sorry to spoil the fun.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
The whole "banning Primatene is yet another example of stupid government regulations" theme of this thread is wrong anyway. Prescription inhalers also used to have CFC as the propellant, but they changed to another agent some years ago (called HFA). I assume nothing would have prevented the makers of Primatene from doing that, although I don't know that for sure. I'm glad they chose not to, because I think Primatene is essentially an unsafe drug.

So sorry to spoil the fun.
QFT

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Just an off topic observation?

This? "Beta-agonists"

Sounds like it belongs in a different thread. Something titled "stuff we do to our first readers.". :)

Thanks for the info, CG.