PDA

View Full Version : Police Report in UK

Orianna2000
09-23-2011, 05:21 PM
A woman is found in a London park, naked, and taken to the police. She has no ID, nothing on her whatsoever. She gives her name, but beyond that, she says she has no idea what happened to her. No clue where she is, why she was in the park, or why she's naked. She's obviously lost and confused, but alert and responsive, and she's very polite. She has an American accent, but all she'll say is that she's from a town near Boston.

I'm assuming (and hoping) that after a few hours of questioning, they'd give her something to wear and the name of a shelter and let her go. Is that feasible?

What kind of report would they file? I'm guessing they would assume that she's been assaulted, but if she says no, would they file an assault report anyway? Would they charge her with indecent exposure if she's polite and says she honestly doesn't know how she came to be naked in the park? Would they try checking her fingerprints or calling the embassy?

Basically, I need to know what the police would do in this situation, both with the woman and afterward, as far as filing a report.

Thanks!

Steve Collins
09-23-2011, 08:02 PM
First off she may not even be taken to a police station, she may go to hospital. There is nothing the police could hold her on as indecent exposure is a specific case relating only to men exposing their genitals. The attending uniform officer would fill out an IRB Incident Report Book or make a pocketbook entry. Maybe missing person reports would be checked but this apparent loss of memory etc would be more a medical thing.

They would probably inform the US Embassy out of protocol and her fingerprints would not be on file unless she was a convicted criminal. In any event they would have no power to take them.

Orianna2000
09-23-2011, 08:50 PM
First off she may not even be taken to a police station, she may go to hospital. (. . . ) Maybe missing person reports would be checked but this apparent loss of memory etc would be more a medical thing.

Would they take her to the hospital if she insisted she was fine? She doesn't actually have amnesia, but from her point of view, she was in Boston--and then all of a sudden she was in London. At some point she realizes that she's traveled back 700 years, in addition to the hop across the Atlantic. She can't exactly tell the cops this, and she doesn't know how or why she traveled through time, so she's forced to tell them that she doesn't know how she got there or what happened.

I can probably work in her going to the hospital, if necessary, but I think she'd probably be scared of the idea and would try to refuse.

Lillie
09-23-2011, 09:21 PM
In my opinion their first concern would be that she was the victim of a crime, a rape or attack or something.

If that was not the case then they would want to know who she was and where she was from, because they would need a reason for her being naked like that.

If she cannot or will not give a reason they will assume she has mental problems and if they cannot put her somewhere safe like family she will be sent to hospital.
If she tries to leave, or refuses, it is possible that she would be sectioned for her own good.

That would mean the involvement of all sorts of authority figures, such as social workers and court orders.
There might also be newspaper and TV appeals along the lines of 'Does anyone know this woman?'

It may also involve immigration because of her accent.

The thing is the police need to understand what's happened to her and why she is in the nude.
If she can't/won't tell them they will assume memory loss/injury/mental illness.
They shouldn't just let someone go who they perceive to be a danger to themselves and possibly others.
They won't just stop until they can fill in their paperwork with satisfactory answers. Especially not a young woman found in the nude. If she did it again and something happened to her it would be their necks on the line for just chucking her back onto the street.

And once you have been sectioned they can do what they like with you. I've met people who have had forcible abortions when under section, and ECT, and all sorts of bad stuff.

So it might be best if she at least finds some clothes, and at the best avoids the police altogether.

mirandashell
09-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I would totally avoid getting the police involved. As Lillie said, it would involve a lot of bureaucracy and take ages.

You might be better having her wake up in some bushes then having to sneak about trying to find clothes. Could be a lot of drama and/or comedy in that.

Lillie
09-23-2011, 09:41 PM
:) Avoiding the police is always a good idea!

If they felt she had done this deliberately she would probably be charged with 'outraging public decency', and she could get six months in jail for that.

But yeah, their first thought would be for her safety.

In quite a few public places, particularly supermarket car parks, and sometimes public parks, you get clothes banks for the salvation army or whoever.
When they are full, or if people are just lazy, plastic bags of old clothes just get left on the ground, rather than shoved through the hatch.
She might find some clothes there. Probably really unsuitable ones.

Orianna2000
09-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Hmm. I didn't realize it would be that involved or dangerous to have the police deal with her. Okay, I guess we'll be deleting the police and working around it. Thanks!

Shakesbear
09-24-2011, 02:12 AM
If she has no way of supporting her self she could be charged with vagrancy, though I'm not sure if vagrancy is the correct term. She could also be arrested for her own protection. Take care about which park you use - the City of London has its' own police force; the rest of London has the Met.

Orianna2000
09-24-2011, 02:14 AM
If she has no way of supporting her self she could be charged with vagrancy, though I'm not sure if vagrancy is the correct term. She could also be arrested for her own protection. Take care about which park you use - the City of London has its' own police force; the rest of London has the Met.
It's Richmond Park in Wandsworth, but it sounds like dealing with the police will be more trouble than it's worth. I don't want her being arrested or hospitalized. I'll just have an elderly couple find her and take her home with them, give her some clothes, and send her on her way.

Lillie
09-24-2011, 03:34 AM
That seems a lot more likely.

Police have procedures they have to follow and paperwork that needs to be filled in. But old people are a law unto themselves, and there are a lot of kind people out there who would help someone they would consider to be a vulnerable young woman.