• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Writing Buddies wanted (Harry Potter fans?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidirebecca

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of some writing buddies. People who want to exchange chapters in progress and random emails when we're frustrated about a certain scene, that sort of thing. All my writing friends have disappeared or no longer reply and it's really disheartening, especially since writing is such a solitary activity.

I've been working on my novel for so long you wouldn't believe. I've rewritten it more times than I care to count, and I think what I really need is a cheerleader who will be honest but encouraging with me, to help me over the line. I still don't know if what I am writing is any good and I'm starting to get rather depressed about the idea that I may have wasted years on this idea/book and it's not very good. Who knows.

What I really would like are people who enjoy books like Harry Potter, Narnia, Roald Dahl. That is the style I am going for with my own series.

I'm female, 26, and live in Australia. This is the year I want to finally get an agent and sell my book, I just need a bit of a support network to do so. I'm sure you all know how lonely it can get when you've got nobody to read your work, nobody to support you, and nobody who believes in you.

If you're interested, email me, I check there first. Maybe we can tell eachother a bit about our books and become friends :)

[email protected]

AriHart

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps give a summary so we know what your book is about?

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Also, it's never a bad idea to post the first 500 words of your book, along with that summary, so people can decide if your writing style is their cup of tea.

Cece N

Half-way there, but need more time.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge HP fan, so if you can post the first 500 words like Brutal Mustang said, it would give me an idea

heidirebecca

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
this is itshugo, just on a different account.

Here's my basic summary of the book:

(my series will span a character from ages 12-18) and it's fantasy with elements of sci-fi (time travel, other planets...) magic...

A brief summary of the story: It's based around a 12 year old orphan named Hugo who escapes a horrible children's home, then finds an envelope with his name on it and a pocket watch inside.

The watch transports Hugo back in time to a magical world where he discovers that his father was convicted of mass murder at thirteen, locked away in an asylum for the criminally insane, then escaped five years later on the day Hugo was born.

It leads Hugo on a quest through time to prove his father's innocence and bring him out of hiding.

That doesn't even begin to explain the plot but I'm still trying to work out how to summarise it all.

This summary also fits:

12 year old orphan Hugo doesn't go looking for trouble; it usually finds him. Having been through every foster family in town, this is his last chance before he ends up in an orphanage. Hugo is about to discover that his new guardians are Winches; people from a mysterious world who brew up dreams and deliver them to children at night.

That description doesn't really go into too much depth but that's the way the story begins.

Anyway, I don't have 500 words of a beginning because I'm working on rewriting at the moment, but I hope that explains a bit more what it's about.

Email me any of you and tell me about your story and ideas and why you think we might be a good match! :)

Vimes

Registered
Reaction score
Holy cr@p Heidirebecca, I'd buy that book right now!

ebennet68

Avoids editing by procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
The premise sounds very interesting. I'm a Harry Potter fan but I don't write in the same genre. When you're done rewriting the beginning and when you've reached 50 posts, post it in the SYW forum so we can read it.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
It does sound interesting. If I was into YA, I'd totally have a go at reading it. The fact that it's interesting me despite my having little to no interest in YA says a lot =).

Have you contacted the betas in the thread above? could there be someone in that group that would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.