Naked books???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
An article I found on Huffpost Books of an article from the Indie Reader.

Here's the link...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/22/are-books-as-sexy-without_n_976518.html

The title, Are books sexy without covers? The article discusses the wave of e-books and if books without fancy covers or any covers at all is the next big wave.

From the article...

Donna Miller, a renaissance figure when it comes to the book industry, conducted a random sample of about 100 teens regarding cover and what she found surprised her. Only 18 percent considered the cover the most important factor in selecting a book to read. What had more weight were the book summary and recommendations of friends and librarians.

I find this limited study of teens very odd because they are so visually oriented. They are the single biggest buyer of games and comics...

Here are some figures from the article that I found concerning ebook sales as well...

Ebooks sales spiked more than 145 percent last July. (Summer reading crowd?)

in 2009 nearly 765,000 titles were self-published in the U.S., an increase of 181 percent over the previous year.

I read this number back in 2010 and that article stated there were about 250,000 commercially published books, so this is a 3 to 1 ratio and I think it is only growing...

So what are you feelings concerning covers for ebooks? Is it an expense for the self publisher can co away with, or are they taking a bigger chance in doing away with decent cover design?

Me, I still want them...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
A sample of only 100 teens? Not really much of a sample. And I agree with you about teens being visually oriented.
Perhaps a factor is the bland sameness of so many YA covers? Girls face. Girl, lying down, looking dead. Girl and supernatural being. Not all YA covers, but maybe enough that readers don't really care, it's no more interesting than a label.
Like the stereotypical romance cover: woman with hunky guy. Or chic-lit: Pink with martini glass and shopping bag. Or, SF: a spaceship against a star-filled sky, big planet in background.
Not so much meant to attract attention, as to indicate genre.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't think ebooks without covers would sell. It'd make life a lot easier though, as we wouldn't have to worry about designing them. However, I agree with Frimble. The least a cover can do for a book is give the reader an idea of what the genre is.

And seeing how most folks look at the cover before reading the blurb, it makes sense to have an ebook cover. Even on Goodreads where some books just have a title (either because they're out of print or not printed yet), I don't care for the bland look. Text on a cover doesn't do much for me as an author or a reader unless there's art involved.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Honestly who would say the cover is the *most* important factor in buying a book (rather than genre, sample or author). That doesn't mean it is completely unimportant.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
E-pubs & illustration?

Honestly who would say the cover is the *most* important factor in buying a book (rather than genre, sample or author). That doesn't mean it is completely unimportant.

Frank Frazetta. He might even have been right in one or two cases. ;-)

Seriously though, are there technical issues with "covers" or illustrations in e-books? It may seem weird, but I buy a certain amount of print books with interior illos, eg the Wandering Star & Del Rey Robert E Howard books. A lot of the old REH pb had rather highly regarded interior art by Roy Krenkel.

I'm just wondering if e-pubs, due to the change in format, are easier to illustrate or harder?

Reaction score
Pretty difficult to market a book if there's no art work to show off.

And some of mine are available in print, so covers would definitely be needed then.

kiplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecityofroses.com
Covers are vital, even if they aren't the most important factor. —You need something to stand in as an icon on all those little virtual shelves. You want that little ding of recognition on Goodreads and Shelfari and LibraryThing pages. And as a wise person once said, never give a prospective reader any excuse to put your book down.

Even if you can't afford commissioned illustrations or decent stock photos, a distinctive block of color and font treatment is enough to say hi, here I am, this is my book, not a generic cover. Look at what Penguin did oh so long ago with just the color orange.

pengwinz

Roadtripper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kjhowebooks.com
Agree that "cover as most important factor" is misleading. A cover is a practical necessity for new titles as they draw attention to the book when there are no testimonials or friends to refer them. They're also necessary for older titles as they become icons for the story. Think about The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Hunger Games, (Stephen King's) It... Images immediately come to mind.

Whether we like covers or not, any publisher (trade to self) isn't doing the book a favor by not having a cover.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
The title, Are books sexy without covers? The article discusses the wave of e-books and if books without fancy covers or any covers at all is the next big wave.

I can't believe that you don't need at least a thumbnail cover for the catalog listing of an e-book. At least for awhile, ebooks don't want to unnecessarily distance themselves from real books any more than necessary. The visual sense is still the most powerful.

But a thumbnail is not a cover. It has to be simple, with bright colors and big bold text to attract attention. For this reason, it can also be more easily home-made, for self published books. The gap between self-pubbed and 'real' published books grows narrower.

Whether the cover is actually incorporated into the file, I could care less.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I remember lots of SF&F books in which interior illustrations were also part of the art work of a book, mostly pen and ink type.

Still, that is not to say the covers or interior drawings are all I cared about. If the story did not interest me, or the writing was not to my preference, then I would pass.

I would love to see ebooks do the same, but for a self published author, the expense might be too much...

I do feel covers will always be needed. They need not be elaborate pieces of art, but they do have to be well thought out, eye catching and should be representative of what the story is about.

A blank cover with title and author name just does not get my attention unless someone has pointed me to the book with a great review or personal reference.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously though, are there technical issues with "covers" or illustrations in e-books?
Only that it needs to display well in monochrome. I prefer a full-color cover for e-readers that can display them and for the online listings. But it needs to work with the Kindle, too. Adjacent color tones can stand out in color and be obscured in monochrome. That should be taken into account during design.

Line drawings and b&w photos work well on both kinds of e-readers.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hello *wave* Cover artist here. I have never considered the book cover to be the most important thing about a book, not when I was a teenager and not now. What's important is the content.

However ... a book without a cover is flat, lost, and unregarded. Covers help so much to give a flavor of the book and a start to readers so that they won't be lost until they figure out what's going on. A cover is like a social introduction, no substitute for deeper acquaintanceship, but a helpful beginning.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Teen here. My opinion: get a good cover. It is not the most important factor of a book, but if I'm scrolling through a list of ebooks looking for a good book, unless I already know about the book in some way, I probably will skip it because of a bad cover. The book could be the perfect book for me, but if it has a bad cover, I wouldn't even bother to click on it to figure out what it's about. Same at the bookstore. When deciding whether to buy it, yes the blurb and first page are most important, but for me to even click on it or pull it off the shelf, it must have either a thought-provoking cover or title that makes me curious...

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Unless it's a well known author or well know title, I really think it would hurt sales to put a book up with no cover.

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
I thought about going the "Penguin" route for my e-book covers, since I have limited artistic talent, especially with computer programs, and was getting frustrated with the covers I was generating. Then I lucked out and got a special deal, so now I get super cool covers. I just published a short story with the first one, we'll see how that helps sales.

Either way, I agree that covers are nessecary. Even if only for the brand ID that the "Penguin" method provides, you need some type of visual to draw the potential readers eye. Think about the grocery store and the labels you see there. They are designed to accomplish the exact same thing as a book cover....

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I think the LS ebook manual refers to it as a "marketing image" so it hasn't lost it's role at all.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I thought about going the "Penguin" route for my e-book covers, since I have limited artistic talent, especially with computer programs, and was getting frustrated with the covers I was generating. Then I lucked out and got a special deal, so now I get super cool covers. I just published a short story with the first one, we'll see how that helps sales.

Either way, I agree that covers are nessecary. Even if only for the brand ID that the "Penguin" method provides, you need some type of visual to draw the potential readers eye. Think about the grocery store and the labels you see there. They are designed to accomplish the exact same thing as a book cover....

Penguin covers have always had subtle and sophisticated design. If you go that route, have a sound basic form.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
For me, no cover = no interest, unless it's by one of my favorite writers. Once you have me hooked, I'll follow you anywhere....

Status
Not open for further replies.