Coma use question

frisco

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the proper way to write this sentence.

She would hang around a few more minutes, just long enough for a cup of tea, then go on her way.

or

She would hang around a few more minutes--just long enough for a cup of tea--then go on her way.

Any thoughts?

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
The version with the commas is fine.

The other isn't really incorrect, but it's a style choice that puts a lot more emphasis on the middle phrase.

Shelley

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Either are fine, it just depends on how you want emphasize 'just long enough for a cup of tea'. To brit Eng (I'm not falling for this again, Chase) using the em-dash REALLY emphasizes--I'm mean REALLY emphasiszes--the time for a cup of tea, the commas are more gentle, more subtle.

Am Eng differs slightly. Some seem to work on the em-dash having the same 'subtle' effect of the commas, some don't.

But both are okay, it just depends where you come from.

Pssst. I think you dropped a 'm' from comma in your title, hun. It's reading 'coma', as in a really long sleep.... :D

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I believe that the version with commas is preferable to the dashes, but there are people who prefer dashes.

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
As fallen said, both are correct. It depends on the amount of emphasis you want.

Even in America, I think the em dash has more emphasis than commas.

frisco

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I tend to write it with the dashes, but I think it would be better just opting for the commas. I insert information like that in my sentences a lot and sometimes I get paragraphs with lots of ---'s in them. I think it looks better with commas, just wanted to be sure it was grammatically sound.

I have it when I spell comma as coma. I think I'm in a coma when I'm typing it. Hell of a writer I am that I can't even spell comma! lol.

Alwaysinspired

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the first version, but I'm a comma happy writer:) I think the second version breaks up the sentence too much.