Grad school anyone?

Hettie

Once and future Queen......
Registered
Reaction score
To go BACK to school or not???? That is the question!!!

If you would go back, what would you do with the degree?

IF you have no desire, why not???

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I've thought about it. But life is so full of other stuff, right now, it wouldn't make sense.

You're thinking about it, Hettie? What would you go back for?

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any desire to go back to school right now. If I pursued an MFA, it would be in creative writing, but that's sort of pointless unless I manage to find a program that's *very* genre-fiction friendly. Nonfiction's cool too, sure, but I don't think I like it enough to spend two or three years absorbed in it--not right now, anyway.

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Jude- Yes, I am back.... I am on a research team that is using technology to

A) help students with disabilities and
B) Help teachers work with those students

The school is paying for it, so hey- Why not? Well, I guess the why not would be.... that the classes are really really hard. The stats class is the easiest one if that tells you anything!

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Sarah- I worked for 7 years, and stayed home for 5 before I went back to get my master's. To do what I want to do eventually (be a presenter, developer, trainer) I need to get the NEXT degree... most teachers have their master's degree.... not many have a PHD...

No, you certainly do not need ANOTHER degree to write. Not unless your focus/needs change.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go to grad school if it would advance me towards the career I want (probation officer/novelist :D)

So either I'd get my MA in criminal justice or social work if I ever decide to go back.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to return to school, just to explore further the subjects which interest me. No big career plans at this late date, just a love of knowledge.

Maryn, who considers this seriously every now and then

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to get an MFA in children's writing, just for fun.

And I've toyed with the idea of working on a Ph.D. in social psychology. But I probably won't. I already have an advanced degree and I really should just work already. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I went straight from undergraduate law to a postgraduate degree in publishing. Great course, tons of fun. I'm applying for publishing jobs now as I wait for my results. :D

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Moon Daughter and Maryn- I think that is why I am doing this... first to further my career and second, because I am really interested in making things better for students with disabilities.

Smish, I work part-time in a school and am pretty disenchanted with the system as a whole, with apathetic parents, and with children that do not know their worth (because no one has bothered to tell them they have it!),

Jude- I KNOW!!!! double :eek:

Parametric- Wow- congrats! Truly a dream job! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hettie, there are so many students with disabilities of every type being mainstreamed that a lot more effort is needed to be sure we're serving them all as well as anyone can. Armed with new knowledge, I hope you can find a placement where the parents care, the kids are motivated, and they think what you can do with the disabled kids approaches magic.

(Seriously, seek a top-notch school district when the time comes, even if it means moving.)

Maryn, who moved here for the school district

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I would just like to finish four years of college. I never did, and I majored in all the wrong things. (Psychology, then journalism.) My dream would be to focus on creative writing and/or English. But. I have also learned that this is not absolutely necessary for success and have been trying to sort of self-teach. I'm taking a course through Long Ridge Writer's Group and am almost finished. That is the most education I've received after high school!

Last edited:

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Kim- One of the main things one of my professors is saying that we learn to write by reading others' work and by writing ourselves.... SO TRUE...

Maryn- I work for what is supposed to be a fantastic district... However not every school, teacher, parent is on board the Hettie Train (AKA Children First).

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm ever lucky enough to make money out of writing, I'll definitely go and get me a PhD.

Every year I toy with the idea of going full out to get onto a postgrad medical programme, but the 'toying' part really tells me that I shouldn't do that.

Research is the way for me!

Best of luck with the course, Hettie.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in grad school, all I wanted to do was write fiction, and not the kind that the university approved of. So, no.

If I had enough money to go to grad school, BTW, I'd spend it hiring professors to give me exactly the research info I need. Win for me, win for the professors.

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go back for an MFA in a minute if I could afford it! Unfortunately our state colleges' tuition keeps going up while my salary does not... :(