• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Swap - YA/UF - partial 40-50k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enthralled

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm at this point in my WIP that I feel like I'm too immersed into the story to accurately critique my own world so, I was hoping for a swap with another individual.

For now, I would like to do so with the first half of my book and I was wondering if anyone would like to do the same--so a 40-50k exchange.

A few points about my novel:

1) It has two protagonists -- both in first person (each chapter is one or the other)

2) It's urban fantasy with several plot themes attached.

3)It's mainly set in a hidden country within our world, complete with reasons and explanations of why that is. Also there's a strong monster presence with Were-like creatures and vampires that are not the sparkly kind. To better understand where the characters are coming from -- the monsters pretty much shapes the society they live in.

Description:

c1 is a student in her last year of school. She's struggling to find her role in the meritocratic society she lives in. Known to have a 'defect' she's more often than not shunned by her peers -and also because she's seen to not be 'good enough' or 'trying hard enough'- to the point that she's pretty much living inside of herself.

c2 is a couple of years older, she at one point has been considered the best at what she does but she's living with a secret that left her no choice but to 'mainstream' for several years. Perhaps because of this she's unprepared when she's called back to the place she was born in.

The story arc here revolves loosely around seven Academy students found buried with both characters somewhat needed for this investigation.

I apologise if this all seems a tad bland/vague - It's not (I know -biased), but I just would like to reserve that for my potential beta in order to give me first impressions of the world.

What I'm looking for:

I can't profess to know everything --which is why I'm here -- but I'm hoping to strike up a relationship in the hopes that we both would find it mutually beneficial.

I'm looking to exchange with someone who is also in first person narrative, in the same genre as me. Someone who has finished the first couple of drafts of their more or less complete book. Also I hope to be in constant contact with that person and have a somewhat open chat on each of our WIP-chapter by chapter.

About me:

I'll say what I think but I will never mean it in a mean way. I will treat your work how I would like mine to be treated --with respect for the effort put into it and with brutal honesty--but always with a reason. I will say now, that it would be my opinion and that other people may not feel the same way that I do. So I guess it would be important to also outline me as a reader.

I know it seems strange --for a writer maybe?-- but I'm a really lazy reader, I get bored easily --several things have to be in place for me in the first few chapters before I'll even commit time to read the full thing. I'm a closet cynic and I can usually smell something contrived a mile away. I have strong issues on what type of character interests me. And the plot has to be believable or else I will close that book and never think to pick it up ever again.

I don't think I'm selling myself convincingly but nevertheless I think that this will make me a good critique partner.

So if you're interested please get back to me by outlining your own WIP, you as a reader and what you are looking for in a critique partner, below --perhaps someone else would be interested in what you have to offer too.

Thank you for your time. :hi:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.