question about handcuffs (some adult content - those of a delicate disposition should look away)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
when you unlock a set of handcuffs, do you have to unlock each one from each wrist or is there one lock that opens both sides?

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Judging only from watching police on both TV and movies, one lock for each wrist. I've never seen it the other way.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
thanks, lbender. that's kind of what i thought, too (based on tv and movies, but thought i'd check since well, since it was tv and movies ;))

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
There is one lock per cuff, though they often use the same key. There are also differences between the sort of handcuffd you might buy in a shop for putting on your clothes or for kinky play and the sort that the police use. The police ones are called 'double locking' (its a safety feature to stop the cuffs tightening round the wrists which can happen if you pull too much).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, so you are saying that there is a lock for each cuff, not one lock that opens both sides? These would be real handcuffs, military issued, not for kinky play :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Each cuff is an independent ring, so each requires a separate locking mechanism to open and close. The same key is used on both cuffs.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Each cuff is an independent ring, so each requires a separate locking mechanism to open and close. The same key is used on both cuffs.
Yes.

And to engage the cuffs, you simply close them. There's a ratchet system so they will get smaller when squeezed (tighter) but not go the other way.

Somebody with cuffs on, behind their back, sitting down, can therefore accidentally tighten them up, to the point where their hands will go numb -- very unpleasant.

Double locking cuffs is where you lock them into a set position after putting them on someone, to prevent them from becoming tighter as well as the ratchet system that keeps them from getting looser.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
To prevent unintentional tightening is one reason...

Cuffs are also double-locked to prevent picking or compromising the ratchet by depressing the locking teeth (w/thin strip of stiff plastic) and slipping the claw free.

Handcuffs are, at best, only temporary restraints.

(None of the above applies to <ahem> novelty cuffs...)

Last edited:

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Yep... too uncomfortable for long term use and easy to get out of sometimes.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, so you are saying that there is a lock for each cuff, not one lock that opens both sides? These would be real handcuffs, military issued, not for kinky play :)

Cuffs meant for kinky play also have the same thing - a separate lock for each sides. However, those also usually come with a latch and can be easily removed if you have rather deft fingers (even when cuffed overhead and around a headboard).

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Though many do use the real ones for kinky play without the quick release... :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Cuffs meant for kinky play also have the same thing - a separate lock for each sides. However, those also usually come with a latch and can be easily removed if you have rather deft fingers (even when cuffed overhead and around a headboard).

You seem to know an awful lot about that sort of handcuff.

Re. police handcuffs, what the others said. How could any locking mechanism even work for both sides, since they're attached by a chain? There would need to be some sort of mechanical link between the two for one lock to open both.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
You seem to know an awful lot about that sort of handcuff.

Re. police handcuffs, what the others said. How could any locking mechanism even work for both sides, since they're attached by a chain? There would need to be some sort of mechanical link between the two for one lock to open both.

hahaha...dur. yes, that makes sense. wasn't thinking about the chain that links the cuffs. that's why i'm grateful for all you wonderful people and your guidance toward de-assing myself.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Which is *much* better. Who wants to escape? ;)

Possibly you, if your partner suffers a medical emergency.

No, this is not relevant to the OP's question, but I do recall the story--and it was in the news--of Mr. and Mrs. Superman, and their little interlude where Mr. Superman jumped off a piece of furniture and knocked himself out. Luckily a phone seems to have been within some sort of reach, because Mrs. Superman had to be released by the fire department. She was not clothed at the time. If her husband had died, and she had not been able to reach a telephone, the result would have been something much worse than a case of terminal embarrassment.

*This has been a public service announcement.*

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Which is *much* better. Who wants to escape? ;)

If you really want to know what happens in an emergency, like your partner having a fatal heart attack, read Gerald's Game by Stephen King.

If that doesn't make you think twice about not using quick release cuffs, nothing will.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Cuff Keys

I understand that most if not all handcuffs use the same key.

Typically the same type of key (hollow stem, single square tooth), however different manufacturers have subtly different dimensional standards, so fit is not universal.

Some cuffs have barrel locks that take a round hollow key about 3/8" in diameter with various tooth arrangements. S&W made a series with half a dozen different key codes (D, E, F, G, etc.) that were in use by many US federal agencies in the '70s. These were very hard to pick.

I don't think any of these are still around - unless they're in private collections.

...No, I'm not going there...