ryan gosling...

chilling...

ryan gosling...

loved it.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it. The soundtrack was great too. I know it won't fit with a lot of people's tastes / expectations, but I was pretty much mesmerized throughout.

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
I'm seriously debating whether I should see this or not. I keep hearing amazing things about the soundtrack, which (as a music nut) is what's really hooked me, honestly.

What genre music is it?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I have no idea what the genre is... mellow indie techno progressive retro? lmao

the story is also pretty damn awesome.

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
the movie is brilliant. my favorite of the year so far. Ryan Gosling gives such an intense performance, very relative to Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver, or The Man with No Name in his trilogy.

and like people have mentioned before, wonderful soundtrack. have it on my itunes and i enjoy all of it.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Drive (merged)

I saw this yesterday, and I totally freakin' loved it. There is a pervasive note of calm that makes the brutal violence, when it happens, feel like a blindside punch to the head. Awesome. Also awesome is the air of mystery surrounding Ryan Gosling's character. You never find out who this guy was before the events in the film, but you know this isn't his first rodeo. Sure, it takes a minute to get to the actual story, but it's worth the wait, IMO. Anyone else seen this?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Haven't yet. If I don't see it in the theatres, I'll catch it via Netflix.

A woman in Michigan, Sarah Deming, is suing the distribution company because, she says, the promotion for Drive led her to expect the movie would be like The Fast and the Furious.

Again: she was horribly disappointed because Drive is not like The Fast and the Furious.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she's stupid. Or, just a money-grubber with an eager lawyer.

ETA: Would you say the movie is reminiscent of the 1978 The Driver? (With Ryan O'Neal as The Driver and Bruce Dern as The Detective; no characters were given a real name in the movie.)

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
the movie is brilliant. my favorite of the year so far. Ryan Gosling gives such an intense performance, very relative to Travis Bickle of Taxi Driver, or The Man with No Name in his trilogy.

and like people have mentioned before, wonderful soundtrack. have it on my itunes and i enjoy all of it.
Haven't seen Drive yet, but I'm really impressed with Gosling. Did you see Lars and the Real Girl?

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen Drive yet, but I'm really impressed with Gosling. Did you see Lars and the Real Girl?

heck yes. i've seen all of Goslings work as he is one of my faves. Lars was such a unique little film, so funny and so sad all at the same time.

his best work imo is Drive, Lars, Half Nelson, and Blue Valentine. all wonderful films with great performances from one the best actors of this generation.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It was *fucking brilliant*.

It even overshadowed the moment when the certificate came up on screen, and a man behind me said "Quentin Thomas must be minted."

MackenziLee

we are a sensational team
Registered
Reaction score
Forget the Gosling, may we please talk about Carey Mulligan? Who I just think is the most beautiful thing on screen right now? She is so stunning in everything she does. I'm in love with her!

Essias

do what you can, not what you will
Registered
Reaction score
heck yes. i've seen all of Goslings work as he is one of my faves. Lars was such a unique little film, so funny and so sad all at the same time.

his best work imo is Drive, Lars, Half Nelson, and Blue Valentine. all wonderful films with great performances from one the best actors of this generation.

I loved Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson, and though this has nothing to do with Ryan Gosling, I didn't like Drive as much as I thought I would.

I followed it for months after watching the trailer, but found myself wanting more after the movie. The opening five minutes are amazing, but after that it felt almost like a "day in the life" story as opposed to one about survival and suspense. That being said, I loved the soundtrack and I loved the visual motifs, particularly the driver's habit of staring blankly and wide-eyed. They also did a particularly good job of showing what a character is thinking at certain moments, like the hotel room scene.

I also really liked that they changed what would be a scumbag characterization in any other movie, and Albert Brooks played a spectacular villain.

My biggest, or at least the most obvious gripe, is the driver's tendency for lingering silence then small response. I'd get it if he didn't reply at all, or gave some sort of physical gesture about what he was trying to say/not say, but eh.

Very solid, beautiful movie though.

Forget the Gosling, may we please talk about Carey Mulligan? Who I just think is the most beautiful thing on screen right now? She is so stunning in everything she does. I'm in love with her!

<3'd her in Doctor Who.